Do laptop gaming video chipsets have shared video memory or dedicated?

Old July 6th 05, 01:14 AM
Doug

Default Do laptop gaming video chipsets have shared video memory or dedicated?

I've always wondered if laptops with supposed high-end, gaming video
chipsets have dedicated video memory or shared (DIME?) AGP memory. I
remember when mobile gaming video chipsets first came out there was a lot of
rumors that they would be upgradeable as well. So are there any laptop video
chipsets that have upgradeable GPU's?

--
there is no .sig

Old July 6th 05, 06:26 AM
Augustus

"Doug" wrote in message
news
I've always wondered if laptops with supposed high-end, gaming video
chipsets have dedicated video memory or shared (DIME?) AGP memory. I
remember when mobile gaming video chipsets first came out there was a lot
of rumors that they would be upgradeable as well. So are there any laptop
video chipsets that have upgradeable GPU's?

All the higher end stuff has dedicated DDR on the graphics card. Some have
upgradeable cards. The latest edition of Maximum PC has a number of decent
reviews of current high end laptops with graphics benchmarks.

Old July 8th 05, 09:28 PM
Large Farva

My Compaq R4000 has 128 megs of dedicated DDR video memory. It was a $19
upgrade from 32 megs of shared memory..it was a no brainer.

I think Alienware laptops have upgradeable GPU's...of course at $2500-$3500
it should upgrade itself

news