Real World Comparisons: AMD 3200 -vs- Intel 3.2. Your thoughts, experiences....

Old February 4th 04, 08:56 PM
George Macdonald

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 16:14:56 +0400, Nadeem wrote:

George Macdonald wrote:
Oh and the Maxtor diags don't work
with nVidia chipsets -

Damn!!!!!!!!!! Thats why things weren't working on my brother's pc.!!

Hmmm, you mean the diags didn't work - yes? IIRC the diag software just
goes to a blank screen and then back to a DOS prompt but the drives work OK
with the nVidia chipset under the usual OSs. I spent ~1/2hour scouring the
Maxtor Tech Supp site before I stumbled on a FAQ which confesses about the
diags problem. Oops, they finally moved the confession up front:
http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm - still says
"slated for release soon". Makes you wonder what they understand by
"soon"... ummm, 'we can't figure it out'?:-)

Rgds, George Macdonald

Old February 5th 04, 12:35 PM
Nadeem

George Macdonald wrote:
Hmmm, you mean the diags didn't work - yes? IIRC the diag software just
goes to a blank screen and then back to a DOS prompt but the drives work OK
with the nVidia chipset under the usual OSs. I spent ~1/2hour scouring the
Maxtor Tech Supp site before I stumbled on a FAQ which confesses about the
diags problem. Oops, they finally moved the confession up front:
http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm - still says
"slated for release soon". Makes you wonder what they understand by
"soon"... ummm, 'we can't figure it out'?:-)

Rgds, George Macdonald

yeah the diag software just wouldnt work. All the time I thought my
disks or the floppy disk drive was bad...

--

Nadeem M Nayeck [ m n n a y e c k @ i n t n e t . m u ]
______ ______ .
Old February 5th 04, 05:00 PM
Ted Grevers

All-

Thanks for the great discussions around this. I think I will move
forward with the Intel 3.2GHz setup. This topic took me beyond things
that I traditionally consider in buying or even building a system.
Disks, video compatibility and other BIOS limitations. I think what
finally convinced me was the application testing that someone posted.
When looking at this, the numbers showed the 3.0GHz chip's abilities.
I figure that even if they are minute increases, the Intel 3.2's
performance will still exceed the AMDs in the applications that I
currently need this new machine to execute.

Thanks so much to everyone who participated in the discussion, and to
those who emailed me directly.

-Ted
Old February 6th 04, 02:34 PM
chrisv

RusH wrote:

2 x 512MB brand-name memory

1 x 1 Gig of brand mem, no point in getting dual channel for a 20%
added cost

Huh? No point in doubling your bandwidth?

Intel, AMD... Mirko General 11 November 22nd 04 07:17 AM
Intel chipsets are the most stable? rstlne Overclocking AMD Processors 105 October 26th 04 02:53 AM
Intel chipsets are the most stable? Grumble Homebuilt PC's 101 October 26th 04 02:53 AM
AMD/Linux vs Intel/Microsoft E General 64 January 14th 04 01:50 PM
Real World Performance - 512MB vs. 1GB System Memory. . Wayne Youngman Overclocking AMD Processors 29 September 12th 03 11:36 AM