Off-topic....Road Runner wireless package

Old July 27th 03, 09:02 PM
Observer3

Default Off-topic....Road Runner wireless package

Is anybody here familiar with Road Runner's wireless package? I am
curious to know the hardware/software requirements. I would assume a brand
new computer would easily meet any requirements, but I'd like to get an idea
how this works. What plugs into what. I've called RR about this, and
gotten conflicting info which has done nothing but confuse me further.

We have been Road Runner subscribers for 3 years. Our computer, a
Gateway G6-450 is hooked up to the cable modem via the ethernet port.

(P.S. Yes, I know it's possible to bypass Road Runner and set up
your own wireless system, but until I understand how this technology works,
I think I'll rely on Road Runner for awhile. I can afford it.)

Old July 28th 03, 04:11 AM
Ben Myers

I'm not sure what RoadRunner can offer in the way of wireless, but it seems like
there are only two possibilities. First possibility is that they install (or
maybe just sell, and you install?) some sort of wireless hardware in your house
and you can use wireless in the house and as far away as the WiFi access point
and WiFi cards in the computers can signal. The other is that they offer you
some sort of WiFi roaming and access priveleges.

The former can also be done with existing the RoadRunner cable modem, simply
adding an inexpensive WiFi-capable router (I like Linksys, but there are also
other good brands) plus WiFi cards for whichever computers will have WiFi
access. Routers like the Linksys also have one or more ports for your usual
Category 5 Ethernet cable running at 10 or 100Mbits/sec speeds. You need a
router anyway with most cable or DSL internet access to allow two or more
computers to share the fat internet pipeline... Ben Myers

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 20:02:41 GMT, "Observer3" wrote:

Is anybody here familiar with Road Runner's wireless package? I am
curious to know the hardware/software requirements. I would assume a brand
new computer would easily meet any requirements, but I'd like to get an idea
how this works. What plugs into what. I've called RR about this, and
gotten conflicting info which has done nothing but confuse me further.

We have been Road Runner subscribers for 3 years. Our computer, a
Gateway G6-450 is hooked up to the cable modem via the ethernet port.

(P.S. Yes, I know it's possible to bypass Road Runner and set up
your own wireless system, but until I understand how this technology works,
I think I'll rely on Road Runner for awhile. I can afford it.)

Problem with wireless in Asus a7v133 motherboard Kamizone Asus Motherboards 0 November 25th 04 10:00 AM
OT (kind of) Good deals on wireless 802.11g networking components Dave C. Homebuilt PC's 0 May 10th 04 04:32 PM
oops.. steve General 6 April 28th 04 01:43 AM
On the topic of wireless [email protected] General 2 February 27th 04 08:41 PM
Networking problems new Inspiron 8500 (wireless or wired) Whelan Dell Computers 0 December 23rd 03 07:15 AM