Dell computer question.

Old July 12th 08, 09:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
ape shall not kill ape

Default Dell computer question.

I bought a dell computer from Ebay but when I hook it up to my
monitory, the monitor says 'no signal'. The light on the computer
comes on but there's no image on the monitor.

Any trouble shooting tips?

By the way, the monitor works with other computers.
Old July 12th 08, 10:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
golfer55nj

ape shall not kill ape wrote:
I bought a dell computer from Ebay but when I hook it up to my
monitory, the monitor says 'no signal'. The light on the computer
comes on but there's no image on the monitor.

Any trouble shooting tips?

By the way, the monitor works with other computers.

Sounds like you got took contact the seller....
Old July 12th 08, 10:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Colin Wilson

I bought a dell computer from Ebay but when I hook it up to my
monitory, the monitor says 'no signal'. The light on the computer
comes on but there's no image on the monitor.
Any trouble shooting tips?

There are often lights on the back of a Dell which may indicate
whether it's working normally or if there's a problem.

Make a note of the sequence of lights and report back.

A series of beeps may also be present when you first switch on (not
sure about Dell, but certainly on a lot of motherboards) which may
indicate problems with the boot process. The number of beeps generally
indicates the issue.
Old July 12th 08, 11:00 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 13:59:08 -0700 (PDT), ape shall not kill ape
wrote:

I bought a dell computer from Ebay but when I hook it up to my
monitory, the monitor says 'no signal'. The light on the computer
comes on but there's no image on the monitor.

Any trouble shooting tips?

By the way, the monitor works with other computers.

Specifically:

- What Dell computer did you buy?

- What monitor are you trying to use it with -- CRT? flat screen?

Is it possible that the computer was set by the seller at a higher
resolution or refresh rate than your monitor can handle?

I would think that if that were true the message wouldn't be "no
signal", but some monitors might not have the best wording and it may
mean "no signal that this monitor can handle".

Anyway, specifics are helpful when posting a question.
Old July 12th 08, 11:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

look closely at all the ports on the rear of the machine. you may have a
model that came with integrated graphics and then later a dedicated graphics
card was installed... if this is the case you may have pluged in your good
monitor into the secondary port. if that isn't it then tell us what model
computer you are talking about, and how the four leds on the back of the
system labled abcd are lit (off, green, amber, and in what order).

Old July 12th 08, 11:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh

Hi!

Any trouble shooting tips?

If the seller said it worked...and was being honest...there are some things
to check:

1. Pop the cover and make sure everything is plugged in and tight. In fact,
do this for every computer you buy on eBay. These things take a beating
during shipping, and things can pop loose. I got a Dimension 8400 where this
was the case--I opened it before ever powering it up and found two of the
four DIMMs loose in the case. It was perfectly packaged--and no fault of the
seller.

2. Check to be sure that the power supply is set to the right voltage.

3. Finally, strip the machine down to the motherboard, RAM and video card.
See if it powers up when you remove a certain part. If it does, you've got a
defective part.

If all of this fails, contact the seller and explain the situation. If they
offered to stand behind the machine or guaranteed it not to arrive DOA, they
should do the right thing and issue a refund or replace the system with one
that works. If the machine was sold as-is, where is, and with all faults,
you might still ask, but the seller could very well say "better luck next
time".

Finally, paying with PayPal can in some circumstances can help if the seller
absolutely will not cooperate. But please don't do this unless the seller
really is not cooperating.

William

Old July 13th 08, 05:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Fixer

"William R. Walsh" m
wrote in message news:aCaek.195681$TT4.38799@attbi_s22...
[...]

Not wishing to state the obvious but have you tried toggleing the F key
for presentation mode amd also to tell the computer to send the image to
the mo0nitor????

Old July 13th 08, 10:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
ape shall not kill ape

On Jul 12, 5:53*pm, "William R. Walsh"
m wrote:
Hi!

Any trouble shooting tips?

If the seller said it worked...and was being honest...there are some things
to check:

1. Pop the cover and make sure everything is plugged in and tight. In fact,
do this for every computer you buy on eBay. These things take a beating
during shipping, and things can pop loose. I got a Dimension 8400 where this
was the case--I opened it before ever powering it up and found two of the
four DIMMs loose in the case. It was perfectly packaged--and no fault of the
seller.

It's a DELL OPTIPLEX DESKTOP PC COMPUTER P4 512 MB XP.

How do I pop the cover and check? Do I have to unscrew the back open?
Or, is there a way to open it some other easy way?

2. Check to be sure that the power supply is set to the right voltage.

115, right?

Thanks.

Old July 13th 08, 10:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
ape shall not kill ape