D400 Invalid Configuration Error

Old June 22nd 08, 06:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
sydney

Default D400 Invalid Configuration Error

I have a Dell d400 that will not boot past the bios screen, and comes
up with an error that says "Invalid Configuration Information - Please
run Setup". The PC does not have a CD ROM, and of course no floppy.
How do I run this "setup"? F2 and F12 do not work, so I believe I need
to boot to an external device, and then run some sort of setup
program?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old June 22nd 08, 06:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"sydney" wrote in message
I have a Dell d400 that will not boot past the bios screen, and comes
up with an error that says "Invalid Configuration Information - Please
run Setup". The PC does not have a CD ROM, and of course no floppy.
How do I run this "setup"? F2 and F12 do not work, so I believe I need
to boot to an external device, and then run some sort of setup
program?

Any help would be appreciated.

You need to get into BIOS if at all possible. You could try to force this
by removing all drives from the system and then hope it responds to the
typical F2 hotkey (at the Dell splash, or prompt after the splash) due to
errors in finding "no bootable drives" etc.

If you could default the BIOS and perhaps clear the current configuration
data in the NVRAM, it might resolve the issue.

Any information as to how the system got to this point would be helpful as
well.

Old June 22nd 08, 09:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
pen

sydney wrote:
I have a Dell d400 that will not boot past the bios screen, and comes
up with an error that says "Invalid Configuration Information - Please
run Setup". The PC does not have a CD ROM, and of course no floppy.
How do I run this "setup"? F2 and F12 do not work, so I believe I need
to boot to an external device, and then run some sort of setup
program?

Any help would be appreciated.

F2 at the Dell boot screen immediately after starting should get you
into the BIOS. This is what Dell says about the error.

Invalid configuration information-please run System Setup Program — The
system configuration information does not match the hardware
configuration. The message is most likely to occur after a memory module
is installed. Correct the appropriate options in the system setup
program. See "Using the System Setup Program."

The Dell docs are here; see the Users Guide.
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...0/en/index.htm