%SystemDrive% - Where does it Go?

Old October 19th 07, 08:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Von Fourche

Default %SystemDrive% - Where does it Go?

Running XP SP2 on Dell E510.

This is what happened. I tried opening up the volume control and could
not.
I got a pop up message saying I didn't have a sound card or something.
I have always been able to double click the volume icon and open up
the volume control. I have always had sound. So, I thought maybe
I just need to reboot Windows.

So I reboot and it fixed the sound. But now I see on my desktop a
folder called %SystemDrive%

Where does this file go? Can I simply delete it or should I place it in
it's original folder? When I open it I find Documents and Settings.
When I open that I a VonF folder. When I open that I find
Application Data, then Microsoft, then SystemCertificates, then
a folder called "My", then three folders - Certificates, CRLs, and
CTL's.

What do I do with this folder?

Thanks!

Old October 19th 07, 09:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Von Fourche

"Von Fourche" wrote in message

[...]

Apparently I'm not the only person to have this happen to. I deleted the
folder
to the recycle bin and restarted. Everything seems to be working ok. If it
continues
to be working ok is it safe to delete the file in the recycle bin? Do files
even work
once they have been sent to the recycle bin?

Old October 19th 07, 09:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
**__Mike__**

Right click it and choose properties, 99.9999% chance it's just a shortcut;
if so, just delete it. It's just an alias to the drive Windows is installed
on. Try typing %SYSTEMROOT% or %USERPROFILE% into the search bar or run box
on the start menu and pressing enter for more examples.

Now, if it's properties show that it is a regular folder that has files in
it, it's likely just a copy, but it would be worth finding out how it got
there before deleting it. Highly, highly unlikely though, so I won't bother
typing more unless you post that's the case.

-Mike

Old October 19th 07, 09:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Hi!

Anything enclosed in double percent signs under Windows can be (and
usually is) treated as a sort of constant shortcut for a variably
located item.

%SystemDrive% entered into the "Run..." Start Menu item is be a
shortcut to your current boot up drive, which is usually C. Windows
(2000 Pro SP4 at least) did let me create a folder on the desktop with
that name, but there's nothing special about it.

There exist others, such as %SystemRoot% (points to \winnt or
\windows). I thought there was one for \Program Files but I can't find
it now.

What do I do with this folder?

Well, I don't know what to tell you. If it really is a standalone
folder, you might be able to just delete it with no ill effects.

But because it may contain important things that you value or the
system needs in order to function properly, you should take a backup
*first*.

William

Old October 19th 07, 10:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Von Fourche

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It's just that folder with those other folders in it. Perhaps I should
move
that folder to a junk/my stuff folder and rename it to turn it off. Reboot,
and if my pc still operates correctly I know I can delete that folder?

Old October 20th 07, 02:42 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

wrote in message
[...]

Create a manual system restore point, then move it or delete it. Reboot.

Old October 20th 07, 08:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Von Fourche

wrote in message
[...]

I did. I set the restore point. Then moved the folder from the desktop
a junk folder in My Documents. Then renamed the folder
%SystemDrivejunkjunk%
and then rebooted. Everything seems to work ok.