SATA what?

Old June 24th 03, 05:34 PM
Alien Zord

Default SATA what?

"fred do" wrote in message
OK, instead of purchasing a SCSI hd I've decided to go ahead and get:
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus9 80GB SATA150
(http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-in...icklinx=259XWS)

1) Instead of purchasing a seperate PCI card for it, would it work

exactly
the same if I bought a mobo with RAID built-in like this one:
Gigabyte SoA VIA KT400A ATX A L R

(http://uk.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/...7VAXP-A%20Ultr
a.ht
m)

2) What about the power cable? Can I use the same one as I use for

UDMA
ATA/133 IDE hard drives?

3) Can I set the SATA150 hard drive as C: drive and connect 2 other

120GB
UDMA ATA/133 hard drives to the said mobo and have them act as D: and

E:
drives respectively in Windows XP?

4) According to the spec of the said mobo, there are "3 x cooling fan

pin
header". Does that mean I can connect 3 CoolerMaster Quiet 8cm Case

Fans?

1) Yes but why that one? This one's much better
http://uk.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/...N400%20Pro.htm
amazing sound processor with equally amazing sound control panel, Dolby
processor, SPDIF in and out (for the "in" function you have to make the
connector yourself), separate connectors for analogue surround and
centre/sub speakers, optical and coaxial SPDIF out. Requires 5.1 speaker
system though. Just built a few customer systems around it and I was
impressed.
2) No, a power adapter cable is required.
3) Yes
4) Yes

Old June 24th 03, 05:52 PM
fred do

"Alien Zord" wrote in message
1) Yes but why that one? This one's much better
http://uk.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/...N400%20Pro.htm

Will that fit into this case
http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details...p?ProdID=01082

2) No, a power adapter cable is required.

Where do I get that from?

TIA!

Old June 24th 03, 07:15 PM
Alien Zord

"fred do" wrote in message
"Alien Zord" wrote in message
1) Yes but why that one? This one's much better

http://uk.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/...N400%20Pro.htm

Will that fit into this case
http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details...p?ProdID=01082

2) No, a power adapter cable is required.

Where do I get that from?

It certainly will fit into that case! Too big, I prefer elegant "just
big enough" cases like the ones in here (and no doors, they are a pain):
http://www.cjcomputers.co.uk/

The power adaptors are available from Gigabyte distributors so just tell
your favourite retailer that Ideal Hardware have got them.

Old June 25th 03, 01:07 AM
Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"Alien Zord" wrote in message

Just wanted to piggyback on this one ...

4) According to the spec of the said mobo, there are "3 x cooling fan

pin
header". Does that mean I can connect 3 CoolerMaster Quiet 8cm Case

Fans?

4) Yes

Actually, 4 is normally "no", unless you use a 4-wire kit for the
CPU fan. That's one of the headers, anyway.

Unless you're going to use software speed control, or want to
monitor the fan RPMs, there's no need to use an on-board fan header for a
case fan, IMO.

(Of course, I !LIKE! to be able to monitor fan speeds ... but that's
a different subject.)

RwP

Old June 25th 03, 02:29 AM
fred do

OK, am I the only person who can't find the damn technical or installation
manual for the Western Digital Raptor 36GB SATA150?
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/WD360GD.asp

http://www.wdc.com/en/library/ has no link to their Serial ATA hard drives,
or am I looking in the wrong place?

I just want to find out whether it has a legacy power connector!

Old June 25th 03, 09:40 AM
Alien Zord

"Ralph Wade Phillips" wrote in message
.. .
"Alien Zord" wrote in message
4) Yes

Actually, 4 is normally "no", unless you use a 4-wire kit for

the
CPU fan. That's one of the headers, anyway.

Hehe, nitpicking. For a split of a second I forgot that the total count
includes the CPU fan header.