Small Form Factor slot on the GX150

Old April 3rd 09, 09:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
scooterspal

Default Small Form Factor slot on the GX150

Something is not right about the SFF slot on back of the GX150. Now that
I look closely at it there is no way a standard PCI card... small or
otherwise... will work.

The panel opening for the connector plate is on the opposite side of the
edge connector on the MB.

I wonder if Dell offered special cards for this unit that are not
available from any other source?

Can someone tell me if they have ever used a (USB) card in this (GX150)
slot and where they obtained it.

Thanks!
Old April 3rd 09, 10:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
pen

scooterspal wrote:
Something is not right about the SFF slot on back of the GX150. Now that
I look closely at it there is no way a standard PCI card... small or
otherwise... will work.

The panel opening for the connector plate is on the opposite side of the
edge connector on the MB.

I wonder if Dell offered special cards for this unit that are not
available from any other source?

Can someone tell me if they have ever used a (USB) card in this (GX150)
slot and where they obtained it.

Thanks!

You should look at the Dell docs, which are found here and specify the
size of
the PCI card as 2.5" by 6.6".
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...#expansion_bus
Old April 4th 09, 12:59 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Hi!

Something is not right about the SFF slot on back of the GX150. Now
that I look closely at it there is no way a standard PCI card... small or
otherwise... will work.

I wondered if this was the case when you first posted about installing
a network card. The OptiPlex GX150 appears to base on the Intel 815
chipset.

A unique feature of the Intel 810 and 815 chipsets was support for a
so-called "CNR" (communications/networking riser) slot. It wasn't
often used, and the feature was dropped fairly quickly. Many boards
only have solder pads for one.

William
Old April 4th 09, 01:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K

My son has a GX150. There is an adapter present (at right angles if I
remember) so you can use a full size PCI card. He's using a Linksys wireless
card.

Old April 4th 09, 02:12 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Brian K" wrote in message
My son has a GX150. There is an adapter present (at right angles if I
remember) so you can use a full size PCI card. He's using a Linksys
wireless card.

I was wondering if the OP was referring to a missing riser card or the
like......

Old April 4th 09, 05:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

scooterspal wrote:
Something is not right about the SFF slot on back of the GX150. Now that
I look closely at it there is no way a standard PCI card... small or
otherwise... will work.

The panel opening for the connector plate is on the opposite side of the
edge connector on the MB.

I wonder if Dell offered special cards for this unit that are not
available from any other source?

Can someone tell me if they have ever used a (USB) card in this (GX150)
slot and where they obtained it.

Thanks!

Dell would not ever have used a USB card in any of its P4 and late P3
systems. USB 1.1 or 2.0 is built into the motherboards of all these
systems and Dell would not have had reason to use a low-profile USB card.

As noted previously, Dell, HP/Compaq and IBM seem to have been the major
suppliers of small form factor systems with low-profile PCI and AGP
slots... Ben Myers
Old April 4th 09, 05:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

William R. Walsh wrote:
Hi!

Something is not right about the SFF slot on back of the GX150. Now
that I look closely at it there is no way a standard PCI card... small or
otherwise... will work.

I wondered if this was the case when you first posted about installing
a network card. The OptiPlex GX150 appears to base on the Intel 815
chipset.

A unique feature of the Intel 810 and 815 chipsets was support for a
so-called "CNR" (communications/networking riser) slot. It wasn't
often used, and the feature was dropped fairly quickly. Many boards
only have solder pads for one.

William

Nope. The GX150 motherboard does not have a CNR slot, just standard PCI
slot and low-profile... Ben Myers

Small form factor PC - ideas ? Simon Homebuilt PC's 1 February 11th 06 06:28 PM
where can i get small form factor parts like dvd rw / cd rw in the uk Muggz Dell Computers 1 December 25th 04 04:22 PM
How Buy SMall Form Factor PC [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 0 November 29th 04 10:37 PM
Biostar small form factor Eddy General 1 November 16th 04 04:20 PM
best small form factor parts [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 1 September 7th 04 09:59 PM