Dell computer question.

Old July 13th 08, 10:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
ape shall not kill ape

Default Dell computer question.

On Jul 13, 11:51*am, Ben Myers
wrote:
Model? *Laptop or desktop? *... Ben Myers

It's a Dell Optiplex GX260

Thanks.
Old July 13th 08, 11:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
pen

ape shall not kill ape wrote:
On Jul 13, 11:51 am, Ben Myers
wrote:
Model? Laptop or desktop? ... Ben Myers

It's a Dell Optiplex GX260

Thanks.

Docs found here and the service manual has opening information.
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...0/en/index.htm
Old July 14th 08, 02:11 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

For an Optiplex GX260, either tower or smaller, place the system on a flat
surface, with the motherboard "side" down. Press the large buttons at either
end of the case, and raise the top of the case to open up the system. The case
is a "clamshell" style with a hinge in the front somewhere... Ben Myers

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 14:51:16 -0700 (PDT), ape shall not kill ape
wrote:

On Jul 12, 5:53*pm, "William R. Walsh"
om wrote:
Hi!

Any trouble shooting tips?

If the seller said it worked...and was being honest...there are some things
to check:

1. Pop the cover and make sure everything is plugged in and tight. In fact,
do this for every computer you buy on eBay. These things take a beating
during shipping, and things can pop loose. I got a Dimension 8400 where this
was the case--I opened it before ever powering it up and found two of the
four DIMMs loose in the case. It was perfectly packaged--and no fault of the
seller.

It's a DELL OPTIPLEX DESKTOP PC COMPUTER P4 512 MB XP.

How do I pop the cover and check? Do I have to unscrew the back open?
Or, is there a way to open it some other easy way?

2. Check to be sure that the power supply is set to the right voltage.

115, right?

Thanks.

Old July 14th 08, 03:00 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 12:51:46 -0400, Ben Myers
wrote:

Model? Laptop or desktop? ... Ben Myers

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 13:59:08 -0700 (PDT), ape shall not kill ape
wrote:

I bought a dell computer from Ebay but when I hook it up to my
monitory, the monitor says 'no signal'. The light on the computer
comes on but there's no image on the monitor.

Any trouble shooting tips?

By the way, the monitor works with other computers.

Well got this dell 2400 from my sister in law (her home pc now at my
house) to fix because she couldn't connect to the net and her Comcast
guy said he couldn't do it or thought the fault was her pc. Well
since I couldn't examine her firewall due to a unknown password and
since her pc was running slower than molasses, I figured it was easier
to just do a clean reinstall (XP). She didn't have the driver cd but
after I did the reinstall of XP, I got the drivers from Dell (thank
goodness her service tag was still on the case). Not sure if I can
test the connection using my dsl modem in place of her cable modem but
maybe I'll try that tomorrow. Now I'm in the planning and software
install stage. I might want to see if I can make a hidden partition
with a backup image using True Image v. 10 or something else if
possible. I remember reading years ago Dell hid a partition using
some offset sector number or byte because a lot of people were having
trouble trying to access it using partition magic or the like. This
is her home pc so I don't have to get so fancy but since I'm the guy
who is fixing it all the time (free of course) I figure I might as
well make it easy for myself the next time. On top of this, I had
loan one of my cars to her tonite for tomorrow due to her flat tire
tonite. INLAWs .... but actually she's not bad. Oh well, let
me go have fun installing stuff on her pc now . Do nice guys
finish last (as I've heard) because I hope not !!
Old July 14th 08, 04:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Random disordered comments:

It would actually be easier to take the Dimension 2400 elsewhere (like your
place) to test it. If it works at your place but not at your sister in-laws,
you know that something is wrong there. I would suspect either a screwed up
router or a screwed up cable modem.

Nearly all cable ISPs (even Comcast in my experience) recommend powering
everything down, then powering up in a specific order: first the cable modem,
then the router, then the computer. Wait for the cable modem LEDs to show a
fully operational state (except for no Ethernet), then power the router.
Finally, boot the computer.

Comcast, Charter, Verizon, all of them blame the computer software or hardware
when it can't connect to the internet. None of them are equipped to do proper
remote troubleshooting of computers and home networks. They don't have the
equipment, and they sure don't have the know-how. I have a service call to make
because Charter claims that the network card (actually on-board Ethernet) in my
client's Dell has failed. We'll see about that.

Most any router has a simple-minded reset procedure to get it back to a known
state with a known login and password. This is usually 100x easier than
screwing around with a fresh Windows install and collecting all the drivers
together.

You cannot substitute a DSL modem for a cable modem or vice versa. They are
entirely different tecnologies at the ISP end of the modem.

You have to be careful picking your in-laws, because you are too nice and they
will take advantage of you if you let them. Can you get another set of them and
still keep your wife? ... Ben Myers

SNIP

Old July 14th 08, 04:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
JayB

did you just hijack this thread?
i'm reading something here that has nothing to do with the OP's new
computer he got from ebay.

Old July 14th 08, 10:50 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 23:28:42 -0400, Ben Myers
wrote:

[...]

Boy, hadn't thought of picking a wife separate of inlaws.... nice idea
if it could work g.

Back on topic... I once had cable modem at my home so I'm familiar
with the reset process having experience with it. No password is
necessary (just push the reset button with a paper clip). I only
decided to do the clean install because the firewall might be the
problem but couldn't access it and her pc was so so slow. And to be
honest, the clean install and getting the drivers was relatively
painless. I just formatted (not quick method) first before the
install. And the reason I was thinking of substituting my dsl modem
for her cable modem was to see if her LAN adapter in her pc would make
the connection to make sure it's not her pc but rather at her cable
modem, etc.. . Might even be a problem with the short coax from the
wall to the modem, dunno because I wasn't there when her Comcast guy
came to check things tho, come to think of it, I still have my short
coax I could use to test hers (mine was good when I got rid of my
cablemodem). Usually they have a meter to check continuity and signal
strength and that's about it (based on experience at my home). I did
notice when I took her pc from her that her cable modem lights flashed
the way mine did when it worked but that's not a guarantee it works
because in my experience the flashing lights were not always correct.
Anyway, I'm still installing some software and expect tonite or
tomorrow to be done with it. If her network adapter doesn't make the
connection in my home, it's likely the card because my multiple pcs
and laptops have no problem making the wireless connection. I just
remembered, I might have an extra network card laying around my home
that I might be able to use for her but I'd have to get the driver for
it or just pull one of my own cards from a pc since I don't have a
need for it. She keeps telling me that I should do this stuff for a
business but having real estate experience once, I know how people are
when dealing with their personal possessions and told her I'd rather
do this stuff for free for those I choose to do it and at my own
schedule. I admire you because I know how some people are (goes with
the business and the public). Thanks.
Old July 14th 08, 10:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 23:32:38 -0400, JayB wrote:

did you just hijack this thread?
i'm reading something here that has nothing to do with the OP's new
computer he got from ebay.

Perhaps but it DOES relate to a Dell 2400 !!
Old July 14th 08, 07:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bluegoose

"RnR" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 23:32:38 -0400, JayB wrote:

did you just hijack this thread?
i'm reading something here that has nothing to do with the OP's new
computer he got from ebay.

Perhaps but it DOES relate to a Dell 2400 !!

OP Dell Optiplex GX260

Old July 14th 08, 09:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Close enough. Similar 845 chipset. On-board Ethernet and audio. No SATA
drives. Same 4 LEDs on the back. Different arrangement of connectors on the
back.

RnR get his answers. OP needs to troubleshoot some more... Ben Myers

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 14:29:56 -0400, "Bluegoose"
wrote:

.. .