Poor Hard Disk Performance

Old July 22nd 03, 02:49 AM
David Gorick

Default Poor Hard Disk Performance

I have three completely different computers in my home network with the
exception that all three are using WD 7200rpm drives and all three have
experienced the same problem with IAA installed.

David

"Alan Wortman" wrote in message
I have possibly identified a problem with Intel Application Accelerator

and
Western Digital Drives.

I have two WD 7200rpm drives connected as master slave. The master has
consistently been reading at about half the write speed. Uninstalling the
Intel Application Accelerator corrected this and it runs really fast now
according to my benchmark program.

As an experiment I tried installing the IAA on some PC's at work. They

were
all identical PC's with Intel motherboards except that some had Western
Digital drives and some had other makes.

All PC's with WD drives in them read much more slowly with the IAA

installed
(typically half speed!)

I wonder if any other Western Digital users can confirm this problem.

Alan

Old July 22nd 03, 06:02 AM
Athura

hrmm.
I have a PC with a WD hard drive and IAA. i havnt noticed its slow, but IAA
was installed just after XP went on, so i gues i wouldnt know unless i
uninstall IAA.
Were you using any particular version of IAA? or does it not matter

Old July 22nd 03, 06:24 AM
Jim Macklin

Run the system tests at www.pcpitstop.com and they will
report on your hard disk performance. Make sure that you
have anti-virus background scanning turned off. You can run
the tests several times to check with various programs
on/off.

Old July 23rd 03, 01:53 AM
Adam Steiner

Thanks Alan,

I think I'll use the program mentioned in a previous post, I think it was at
pcpitstop.com

Adam

"Alan Wortman" wrote in message
Adam,

If you have IAA installed it will show up in the "Add or Remove Progams"
list in the Control Panel. You can compare your drive performance with and
without IAA by using a benchmark program that shows transfer rates in
MB/sec. for your disk(s). There are so many benchmark programs about that

don't really know what to recommend. Suggestions?

Alan

"Adam Steiner" wrote in message
s.com...
I'm using the WDJB 120GB drive. I haven't noticed the drive being slow,

but
if I installed IAA it was done right after I installed XP and all my
software, so I'd have nothing to compare it to. How would I check if I

have
IAA installed?