OT, but....

Old August 21st 11, 07:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Retired

Default OT, but....

Someone wants me to copy a bunch of pictures (jpgs) off their computer onto
a DVD-R disc so they can watch them on their home DVD player. What kind of
software / converter do I need to do this? Or can it even be done?

--
-- I'm retired. I was tired yesterday. I'm tired again today --
Old August 21st 11, 08:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
terryc[_3_]

Retired wrote:
Someone wants me to copy a bunch of pictures (jpgs) off their computer onto
a DVD-R disc so they can watch them on their home DVD player. What kind of
software / converter do I need to do this? Or can it even be done?

If there player can read a jpg/jpeg, then just copy them overs as files,
i.e burn a data DVD.

Some stuff might need a certain directory structure to recognise these
are files it can show/do slideshow on.

Old August 21st 11, 09:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

On 8/21/2011 1:16 AM, Retired wrote:
Someone wants me to copy a bunch of pictures (jpgs) off their computer onto
a DVD-R disc so they can watch them on their home DVD player. What kind of
software / converter do I need to do this? Or can it even be done?

Are you running Windows 7? "Windows DVD Maker" can apparently do that,
though I've never tried it. If I recall correctly, there was something
similar in Vista. Maybe "Windows Movie Maker" could even do that in XP?

Old August 21st 11, 02:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo[_4_]

On 08/21/2011 03:30 AM, Grinder wrote:
On 8/21/2011 1:16 AM, Retired wrote:
Someone wants me to copy a bunch of pictures (jpgs) off their computer
onto
a DVD-R disc so they can watch them on their home DVD player. What
kind of
software / converter do I need to do this? Or can it even be done?

Are you running Windows 7? "Windows DVD Maker" can apparently do that,
though I've never tried it. If I recall correctly, there was something
similar in Vista. Maybe "Windows Movie Maker" could even do that in XP?

Yes

In XP I had used Windows Movie Maker

for some versions of win7 see this

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...r-how-use.html
Old August 21st 11, 02:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jan Alter

"philo" wrote in message
On 08/21/2011 03:30 AM, Grinder wrote:
On 8/21/2011 1:16 AM, Retired wrote:
Someone wants me to copy a bunch of pictures (jpgs) off their computer
onto
a DVD-R disc so they can watch them on their home DVD player. What
kind of
software / converter do I need to do this? Or can it even be done?

Are you running Windows 7? "Windows DVD Maker" can apparently do that,
though I've never tried it. If I recall correctly, there was something
similar in Vista. Maybe "Windows Movie Maker" could even do that in XP?

Yes

In XP I had used Windows Movie Maker

for some versions of win7 see this

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...r-how-use.html

So, if you aren't running Win7 there's a delightful and free program called
Imageburn, which will let you burn the jpgs to a DVD .

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cd...ng/imgburn.cfm
--
Jan Alter

Old August 21st 11, 10:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Peter Jason

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 01:16:07 -0500, Retired
wrote:

Someone wants me to copy a bunch of pictures (jpgs) off their computer onto
a DVD-R disc so they can watch them on their home DVD player. What kind of
software / converter do I need to do this? Or can it even be done?

Some newer TVs have a USB port so the images can be stored on and
played from this. And most DVD players can display photos if this
is selected from the DVD-player menu. Check out its manual
carefully.
Old August 22nd 11, 03:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

Yes

In XP I had used Windows Movie Maker

for some versions of win7 see this

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...r-how-use.html

So, if you aren't running Win7 there's a delightful and free program
called Imageburn, which will let you burn the jpgs to a DVD .

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cd...ng/imgburn.cfm

According to the specs it works with Win7 also

Old August 22nd 11, 01:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
yukonron

Retired wrote:
Someone wants me to copy a bunch of pictures (jpgs) off their

computer onto
a DVD-R disc so they can watch them on their home DVD player. What

kind of
software / converter do I need to do this? Or can it even be done?

If you don't have windows 7 and want to get fancy. There are plenty of
programs out there. I prefer ULEAD Video Studio. Here's a sample video
of some of my Alaskan pictures.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lzeZ96ggWQ

Old August 23rd 11, 12:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rob[_19_]

On 21/08/2011 07:16, Retired wrote:
Someone wants me to copy a bunch of pictures (jpgs) off their computer onto
a DVD-R disc so they can watch them on their home DVD player. What kind of
software / converter do I need to do this? Or can it even be done?

Can you let us know the exact model of DVD player they have?
Many players can play jpegs directly (ie you just burn the files
to a DVD as if you were backing them up.)
If the DVD player doesn't support playback of jpeg files, you
will need to use a video editing application which can burn a
disc in DVD-video format.
--
Rob

Old September 22nd 11, 03:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Retired

Rob wrote in
:

On 21/08/2011 07:16, Retired wrote:
Someone wants me to copy a bunch of pictures (jpgs) off their
computer onto a DVD-R disc so they can watch them on their home DVD
player. What kind of software / converter do I need to do this? Or
can it even be done?

Can you let us know the exact model of DVD player they have?
Many players can play jpegs directly (ie you just burn the files
to a DVD as if you were backing them up.)
If the DVD player doesn't support playback of jpeg files, you
will need to use a video editing application which can burn a
disc in DVD-video format.

Thanks to everybody in this thread. I am not sure what kind of player they
had, but I wound up just copying all the pictures to a double layered DVD.
I have a fairly new Sylvania digital TV with a DVD player in it and all it
would do was eject the DVD. The customer decided he'd pursue it further
himself. Sorry I was so long following up this thread. The guy needed his
computer back and it was gone before I had time to pursue it myself.

--
-- I'm retired. I was tired yesterday. I'm tired again today --