Noisy Dimension 8300

Old October 26th 03, 11:52 PM
Harry Goodman

Default Noisy Dimension 8300

I have a 4600...fan replaced 4 times.All have been noisy and irritating.to
the point that they are replaceing the system.I do not hope for a quiet
computer as it will be the same fan in the same case.They have so far
replaced every moving part...4 fans....1 hard drive....1 power supply....I
am tired of installing hardware as I do not need onsite.Dell could do much
better for all of us that have equiptment that is not a pleasure to use.I do
not expect a perfectly quiet computer but I would like to enjoy my music and
have some quiet time even with 5 kids and unwinding after work.Dell you can
do better.Peace...Harry
"

Old October 27th 03, 12:37 AM
Keith S.

I returned a Dimension 8300 in August after having a CPU fan noise problem.
Dell stated they could not resolve the problem.

I found that the Zalman 7000 series heatsink fan to be very quiet compared
to the Dell hood fan assembly.
ink.net...

Old October 27th 03, 12:57 AM
Don Enderton

Harry, I quite agree Dell needs to 1) give more attention to reducing noise
in its designs for Dimensions and 2) tell us in advance, before we order,
how much noise each model is going to produce, taking into account which
model Dimension and which model video card we select.

My Dimension 4500, which has a similar case design to the 8300, and which
was delivered last year, included the nVidia ti4200 card, which is an
excellent video card but which has a fan motor which produces the same
timbre as a steady air raid warning alarm. Same timbre, just not quite as
loud, but equally annoying.

Dell would not, could not, replace this card with a downgrade to a slower
card, with no fan. That's because of its inflexible warranty policy that no
component may be replaced, under warranty, with anything other than the
identical make and model of that part. So because refurbished ti4200s are
still available, and after I tried a couple more of them only to hear the
same noise, I had to purchase a downgraded card at my own expense.

Since the original and all replacement cards were not fit for use in a home
(quiet) environment, I feel Dell's warranty terms, in that respect, are
unreasonable.

This is my second Dell desktop, but, as I told the Dell rep who phoned
asking why I rated them so low on their own survey of my service experience,
I won't buy another, unless and until 1) they make them quieter and 2) I can
know, in advance, how much noise (these things can be measured, both
objectively and subjectively) that next Dell will make.

I sure hope Dell is listening. These groups are filled with complaints
about noise. Maybe Intel, Microsoft, Dell and others will learn that silent
operation is as important, or more important, than computational power and
speed.

I bought the slowest P4 processor Dell offered at the time, but the cooling
needs are still extreme, especially in the summer.

End of this month's Enderton rant.

-- Don

Old October 27th 03, 03:32 AM
Ricky W. Hunt

"Don Enderton" wrote in message
Harry, I quite agree Dell needs to 1) give more attention to reducing

noise
in its designs for Dimensions and 2) tell us in advance, before we order,
how much noise each model is going to produce, taking into account which
model Dimension and which model video card we select.

My 4600 was almost silent at first but within a week was a leaf blower. It
seems these parts are defective or are only quiet until they get "broke in".

Old October 27th 03, 05:02 AM
Lester Horwinkle

"Don Enderton" wrote in message
I sure hope Dell is listening.

They'll listen, but not to a newsgroup. You need to talk to Dell.

If you talk to US, we can sympathize. But we can't do anything about it.

Old October 27th 03, 07:30 AM
Michael

hey um this will sound dumb but dell cant tell you how loud or quiet the system
will be. 1. ii will be a estiment. because all system will have there own
problems. 2. you got 30 days to return it for a refund. 3. dell does test these
systems over and over they should notice things.. "i dont think dell does no
testing over and over" 4. if your computers loud try fixing it by muffling the
inside by foam or whatever i read once you can do this to quiet it down " off
techtv.com"

Old November 2nd 03, 06:22 PM
Don Enderton

Lester, in the same post you quote below I also wrote "as I told the Dell
rep who phoned asking why I rated them so low..."

That's who I hoped was listening. I've talked to Dell about noise in my
computer numerous other times, as well, by phone and by email. They
probably are listening, but these types of product changes take years of
lead time. So in a few more years, I'll find out if they are hearing from
enough of us about noise concerns, to react appropriately.

I also think it's useful for new prospective purchasers to gain the benefit
of the experience of existing owners, so I think it's helpful for me to put
the information before the group. Even if I got a little too emotional
about it - hey, emotions are real.

-- Don

.. .