Sound Card 5.1 vs 2.1 Question

Old February 13th 04, 11:43 AM
Randy

Default Sound Card 5.1 vs 2.1 Question

If I buy a sound card that supports 5.1 speakers, can I use a 2.1
speaker set up? I don't have the need, money, or room for 5.1
speakers at this time but want a sound card with DSP to take some load
off the processor and the ability to upgrade to 5.1 in the future if I
so desire.
Old February 13th 04, 12:09 PM
BarryNL

Randy wrote:
If I buy a sound card that supports 5.1 speakers, can I use a 2.1
speaker set up?

The short answer is 'yes'.

The long answer is 'yeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssss'.
Mostly you just need to plug your stereo speakers into the front
speakers socket on the 5.1 card and select stereo in any software that
gives you a choice. The software with the card should let you choose
this anyway. As a brief recommendation I have an Creative SoundBlaster
Live 5.1 (OEM version) and it can do this no problem - costs about $40.