primary slave drive fails (after bug with nero image drive)

Old October 8th 03, 09:53 AM
Jean

Default primary slave drive fails (after bug with nero image drive)

My configuration :
Win 98 (1st)
Asus A7V266
Primary Drive 60G
Primary Slave 40G

Here's what happened :
I burned an image with nero
Installed this image as a virtual drive with nero image drive (first
utilisation) and then.....
Computer got blocked.

Now when i reboot, I get the error message "Primary Slave Drive Fails,
press F1 to continue or Del to enter bios".

The Bios detect and recocgnise Primary and secondary master and slave,
but it cannot load the primary slave.

Then windows tells me it detects a new "Audio pci device" and ask me
for the driver....

I tried to set the secondary slave to none in the bios boot and then
to "auto" and reboot, and I still have troubles.
I can't get my secondary HDD back.

What can I do, try, what can try ?
Thank for any help
Old October 8th 03, 02:33 PM
Phrederik

"Jean" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I doubt that Nero had anything to do with it, since the error you are seeing
is coming from the BIOS.

If you boot from a floppy disk, can you see the HDD's? (doubt it but you can
try).

I would say it sounds like your HDD failed (or possible the IDE cable),
except that you're PC is finding new hardware suddenly. That would indicate
a larger problem like failed mainboard or CMOS battery. Possibly PSU, but
not likely.

If you have another HDD or CDRom, what happens if it is placed as slave
instead? If it works, bad original drive. If not, then it's probably bad
mainboard.

Back up what data you can, reset the BIOS settings and let the PC do it's
detecting. You may need to run the diagnostic tests from the failed HDD
manufacturer to see if that drive is even going to do anything again. It's
probably smart to disconnect the working drive while testing/formatting to
avoid erasing the data on that drive by mistake.