WD Hard Drive Size Issue

Old August 1st 06, 02:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
kony

Default WD Hard Drive Size Issue

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 09:38:28 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

DaveW wrote:

Windows XP can ONLY recognize harddrive sizes up to 137 GB unformatted UNTIL you load
SP2.

SP1 is fine too.

The registry hack works too.
Old August 1st 06, 03:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

kony wrote
Rod Speed wrote
DaveW wrote:

Windows XP can ONLY recognize harddrive sizes
up to 137 GB unformatted UNTIL you load SP2.

SP1 is fine too.

The registry hack works too.

Nope, if you dont have the drivers that support
48bit LBA, no change in the registry will fix that.

Old August 1st 06, 05:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
kony

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 12:43:42 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

kony wrote
Rod Speed wrote
DaveW wrote:

Windows XP can ONLY recognize harddrive sizes
up to 137 GB unformatted UNTIL you load SP2.

SP1 is fine too.

The registry hack works too.

Nope, if you dont have the drivers that support
48bit LBA, no change in the registry will fix that.

Yes I believe you're right, though the driver was part of
some prior patch too so a system could still do it without
SP1.
Old August 2nd 06, 02:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
kony

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 23:17:20 GMT, Garrot
wrote:

Rod Speed wrote:

What is ? If 48LBA support is not provided, you will get corruption.

Would this explain why my 160Gb HDD corrupted after I formatted it with
Partition Magic 8 NTFS 3.1 instead of in XP SP2?

No, regardless of how you'd formatted it, it would be
windows writing beyond the 128GB area on the drive.
Old August 2nd 06, 02:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Garrot wrote
Rod Speed wrote

If 48LBA support is not provided, you will get corruption.

Would this explain why my 160Gb HDD corrupted after I formatted it with Partition Magic
8 NTFS 3.1 instead of in XP SP2?

Nar, different issue.

Old August 2nd 06, 05:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Folkert Rienstra

wrote:

Rod Speed wrote:

What is ? If 48LBA support is not provided, you will get corruption.

Would this explain why my 160Gb HDD corrupted after I formatted it with
Partition Magic 8 NTFS 3.1 instead of in XP SP2?

No, regardless of how you'd formatted it, it would be
windows writing beyond the 128GB area on the drive.

Not if Windows would not have allowed it to format to
a size bigger that 128GiB in the first place.
Once that safeguard is out of the way by using another product
that ignored the limit the system thinks that the requested block address
is valid and it falls flat on it's face trying to address it without using
48-bit LBA addressing.
Old August 2nd 06, 06:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Garrot

kony wrote:

No, regardless of how you'd formatted it, it would be
windows writing beyond the 128GB area on the drive.

No, I was using SP2. This was on a secondary HDD and not the system HDD.
I had formatted it in PM8 and when I booted to XP it wanted to run a
chkdsk on it. Everything seemed fine until a few hours later I went to
download a file to it in Opera and Opera froze. Forced Opera to close
with task manager. Looked at explorer and noticed my D: drive was
missing. Booted up PM8 and had it check the drive. PM reported cross
linked files and corrupted files. Deleted the existing partiton so it
was RAW again. Booted to XP and had it do a format. Drive has been fine
since.
Old August 2nd 06, 03:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Garrot wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:

What is ? If 48LBA support is not provided, you will get corruption.

Would this explain why my 160Gb HDD corrupted after I formatted it with
Partition Magic 8 NTFS 3.1 instead of in XP SP2?

Partition Magic can corrupt disks entirely by itself and without
good reason. Don't trust that product.

Arno
Old August 2nd 06, 06:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
kony

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 05:08:39 GMT, Garrot
wrote:

kony wrote:

No, regardless of how you'd formatted it, it would be
windows writing beyond the 128GB area on the drive.

No, I was using SP2.

That's not a guarantee.

This was on a secondary HDD and not the system HDD.

That doesn't matter.

I had formatted it in PM8

Formated or partitioned?

and when I booted to XP it wanted to run a
chkdsk on it.

From the last time you'd done something to it?

Everything seemed fine until a few hours later I went to
download a file to it in Opera and Opera froze. Forced Opera to close
with task manager. Looked at explorer and noticed my D: drive was
missing. Booted up PM8 and had it check the drive. PM reported cross
linked files and corrupted files. Deleted the existing partiton so it
was RAW again. Booted to XP and had it do a format. Drive has been fine
since.

There is some addt'l factor not revealed yet, as I can tell
you with certainty that I have (without this problem you
had):

1) Partitioned with PM8
2) Formatted with PM8 (and/or, for different drives-)
3) Formatted later with WinXP
4) Had no problem with chkdsk, nor corruption.

Old August 2nd 06, 06:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
kony

Rod Speed wrote:

What is ? If 48LBA support is not provided, you will get corruption.

Would this explain why my 160Gb HDD corrupted after I formatted it with
Partition Magic 8 NTFS 3.1 instead of in XP SP2?

Partition Magic can corrupt disks entirely by itself and without
good reason. Don't trust that product.

Arno

If running it on a drive with data already on it, this may
be true.

On the other hand, we're considering a different situation-
PM8 created it, then chkdsk checked it. At this point,
running windows and successfully saving files to it, there
is no further aspect of PM8 corrupting it, the next event
was with Opera and the freezing.

I'm wondering if there isn't some other system instability
and the whole SP2/48bit LBA/PM8 combination is a tangent not
a cause.