Canon Document Scanner DR-5060F -- Scanner and Filmer

Old August 28th 03, 08:14 PM
James Piper

Default Canon Document Scanner DR-5060F -- Scanner and Filmer

http://www.solutions.canon.com/west/...159&category=0

Our agency is looking at this scanner for a possible replacement of
our current Bell + Howell 6338 scanner. We are using older
KF-4100-1702 boards and IBM Content Manager with WAF. We currently use
ImagePlus for our viewer and have release scripts that send the
document into WAF and stored to the AS/400. Our users are feeding the
documents one doc at a time, which means no batches. People here are
impressed with it since it does film and scanning at the same time. We
currently send our documents away to be filmed by an outside company,
costing the agency lots of money. This machine also has document
imprint functions that they may want to take advantage of.

Our vendor is trying to sell us one of these scanners along with the
Paper Path software. From what I can tell, Paper Path is an old peice
of software modified for use on 32 BIT Windows machine. I am more
partial to the Kofax Ascent Capture software that uses the latest
technologies to batch scan, imprent and more importantly, communicate
with the AS/400 and WAF. The only way that I can see we can use Paper
Path is to create a batch upload to the AS/400 from a server. This
would have to be done after hours and add more time to processing
documents. We would also not be able to use the imprint since there is
no communication to the AS/400. I am also concerned about volume on
this scanner. We run the Bell + Howell 6338 9 hours a day, sometimes 6
days a week. I don't know if the Canon can do that without breaking
down.

I am trying to push our agency to use the Kofax product and the Bell
+ Howell 8000 Spectrum series scanner. We see the value in batch
scanning, but managment here doesn't since there are no other places
that handle the documents in this way. Our 6338 machines have been in
production for a long time and are still OK (they are getting up there
in age, however). For the Film writer, I am suggesting the Kodak 9000
series Archiver. We can archive the data after we do the QC process on
our batch, that means less waste for the film. I can replace 6 of our
6338 scanners with 2 8000 series in batch mode, makes more sense since
we can do more then 1 document at a time. Management here wants to buy
8 Canons and continue doing what they are doing now.

What do you guys think? Any experience with DR-5060F? Do you like my
Bell + Howell solusion better? I have not found much info about the
DR-5060F. Kofax does not support this scanner at this time. I wonder
why since this scanner has been out since 2001? The hardware may be OK
but the software is an issue and Kofax is the leader (and almost the
only one out there).

-=James
Detroit, MI