Driver update for Latitude E4300

Old August 26th 17, 08:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.windows7.general
micky

Default Driver update for Latitude E4300

In alt.windows7.general, on Sat, 26 Aug 2017 02:12:33 -0400, micky
wrote:

In alt.windows7.general, on Tue, 22 Aug 2017 14:44:43 -0400, micky
wrote:

**This machine weighs 3.75 pounds and my old acer netbook weighs 3
pounds.

Finally weighed them with a mechancial postage scale that has only been
calibrated to set zero at zero, and is says the Acer Netbook that came
with XP weights 2 lb. 14 oz, and the Dell Latitude E4300 weights 3 lb 12
oz. (Even though the spec says it weighs 3.3 pounds??) So it's 14
oz. more than the netbook

I don't carry it that much, but when I use it I often lift it up with
one hand holding the front.

But the Dell has a bigger screen, a cd/dvd drive, louder speakers (still
not adquate for much, but maybe for a phone conversation (see Skype
installation below). Usually I use clip on USB speakers)

And more buttons. Separate buttons for volume-up, down, and mute.
A Fn key for automatic screen brightness (as well as brightness up and
down), a couple keys I haven't identified yet**, and a joystick.

**What there also is is a shortage of manual. There is one but it
doesn't go over every key. F2 and F3 have images in blue of a battery.
F3's is just a battery, but F2's has a horizontal lightning bolt in it.
?? Pressing them with the Fn key did nothing obvious.

F5 has a padlock, F7 has DCP, and F8 has what looks like breaking a loaf
of bread in half. I'm going to search the wweb for what these mean.
(Of course I know that blue means the Fn key.)

Pressing Sleep (the one with the crescent moon, made the screen go dark
and it was very hard to wake it up. I shut the case which I had set to
make it hibernate, but the power light was blinking and opening the case
woke it up. It wasn't hibernating.

(Even when I bought it, the saleswoman shut the case and I put it in the
trunk of the car. 5 hours later I took it out and found it had been on
(sleeping Isuppose) all that time. The almost dead battery, so dead it
wouldn't boot until plugged in, she had charged for only about 10
minutes and I'm surprised it lasted 5 hours. I'm sure she thought she
was hibernating it.)

I was hoping for 2 pounds but this old thing was a lot cheaper
and after I bought it, the vendor said it was more sturdy than the Acer.
Not sure why she said that.

As to what drivers need updating, I've been installing Skype in Win7 for
57 minutes an d it's not done yet -- it's still dl'iing, not even
extracting, etc. -- even though Resource Monitor says it's been dl'ing
steadily the whole time. Onlly 700KBS much of the time, most of which
is skype (as little as 130KBS, but my working win10 computer was slow at
the saem time; however not this slow. .) (1% network utilization, but I
don't know if that is because I need a better driver for the
downloading, or because Verizon DSL is having normal problems up, or
because they are trying to drive me out of DSL. (The phone broke a
couple days ago, and it was very important to the repair guy to say that
if they came out, they would install FIOS, (and maybe I'd reather have
Comcast cable and VOIP phone.)

Even the green progress bar in the Skype installation window has slwoed
down a lot. I didnt' know it would ever do that. What does it mean?

Well shortly after I posted the progress bar green moving bar speeded up
a lot, and it seemed to correspond to the % of CPU which went up at the
same time, and after 3 or 4 seconds of that, everything just
disappeared. No question about whether I wanted to start Skype or not,
and because this new installation of win7 has no easy way to display the
desktop (and I don't remember the keyboard method) I didn't know there
was an icon. I thought it failed.

But it worked. However the first time I got on, it wanted to know my
birthday. In my records there was no record of telling them a birthday,
so I told them a phony one and it accepted it. In theory I should use a
different phony birthday for every site, but doing that led to problems
so now I have one I use all the time. Even that could help them
connect me to the other parts of me, but the older I get the less risk
there is.

So skype works and so does the built-in camera.