N600c and wireless multiport module--HELP!

Old February 4th 04, 08:03 AM
HamNCheese

Default N600c and wireless multiport module--HELP!

I recently added the 802.11b multiport module to my N600c (Windows XP
SP1). I'm using the HP Odyssey client to control the module. The
module works fine when WEP is disabled, but I can't get it to work
with WEP turned on. I've tried both 64 and 128 bit mode (turning it
on and off in my router to match). I copied the 26-digit hex code (in
128 mode) from the router to the Odyssey client, but as soon as I
check "to authenticate to access point" I lose the connection. I also
tried 64 bit mode and copying the four separate keys, but again it
goes dead.

I've had WEP working fine on this computer with my old PCMCIA card, so
I know the router is configured correctly.

How can I get WEP to work?
Old February 6th 04, 02:00 PM
Quaoar

HamNCheese wrote:
I recently added the 802.11b multiport module to my N600c (Windows XP
SP1). I'm using the HP Odyssey client to control the module. The
module works fine when WEP is disabled, but I can't get it to work
with WEP turned on. I've tried both 64 and 128 bit mode (turning it
on and off in my router to match). I copied the 26-digit hex code (in
128 mode) from the router to the Odyssey client, but as soon as I
check "to authenticate to access point" I lose the connection. I also
tried 64 bit mode and copying the four separate keys, but again it
goes dead.

I've had WEP working fine on this computer with my old PCMCIA card, so
I know the router is configured correctly.

How can I get WEP to work?

Disable the Wireless Zero Configuration service, uncheck the box "let
windows manage" and try a completely manual connection. Disable the XP
firewall and 802.11x authentication. In normal wireless NIC and a
wireless router, there is no need to do any authentication separately.
If the router is set up properly, setting up the wireless NIC with WEP
should be enough for the two of them to negotiate the connection. Are
you sure that the authentication step is necessary?