Uncommanded shutdowns

Old September 1st 03, 04:23 AM
Fitz

Default Uncommanded shutdowns

Before I replace the power supply, hard drive or both, I'd like some
opinions as to what could be causing the following problem. My wife's
machine will randomly reboot while performing simple task such as checking
email or surfing the net- nothing cpu or memory intensive. Occasionally,
while trying to wake from sleep mode, it will attempt to reboot, fail, and
shutdown completely. When this occurs, the psu switch must be turned off and
back on and then restart the computer. The computer will go into ckdisk, but
only check the D drive, which is a small partition on a single harddrive.
The Event Log (System) has multiple entries of the following: Source - Disk
Category - None Event ID - 11 Description: The driver detected a
controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D

I thought, before seeing the event log, that it was the power supply, but
now I am suspicious of the harddrive. Could incorrect or insufficient
voltages being supplied cause the harddrive error?

The computer is an older machine...
Motherboard - Abit KT7(A) Chipset - VIA VT8363(A)
CPU - AMD 900+
256 MB PC133
NVIDIA GForce 2 Ultra
LAN Card
CD RW and CDR
IDE Compact Flash Card reader

The third option here is to tell my wife her machine is toast and that I
will have to give her mine while building myself another (see the
opportunity here?)

Thanks,
Fitz

Outgoing mail scanned by NAV2003 and is virus free

Old September 1st 03, 04:39 AM
JAD

The machine is toast// sadly you'll have to build another. but maybe you should keep it around for tester parts. ;^)

Try and reload or update the IDE controller drivers....VIA SIS INTEL whichever. Maybe a new set of motherboard drivers from the
manufacturers web site?

Old September 1st 03, 05:25 AM
Fitz

Thanks- that would certainly be the cheapest fix. Downloaded and installed
the latest VIA 4-in-1's. Hope it does the trick....

Fitz

Old September 1st 03, 06:18 PM
UncleWobbly

swept for virii? MSBLAST shuts the machine down and makes it behave oddly
on boots... a mate of mine was infected and his symptoms were very similar
to what you describe here.

Old September 1st 03, 08:13 PM
Strontium

MSBlaster gives an RPC error. And, the reboot cycle cannot be stopped until
disconnected from the internet.
-
UncleWobbly stood up at show-n-tell, in

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Old September 1st 03, 11:49 PM
Fitz

Not Blaster virus.....computer networked with 3 others behind a router (NAT
firewall), all critical updates and security patches installed. None of the
other computers have any problems. Shows none of the symptoms of the Blaster
virus from the descriptions I've read.

So far, no freezes or shutdowns since updating the VIA 4-in-1's.

Thanx,
Fitz

Old September 2nd 03, 12:10 AM
JAD

So far, no freezes or shutdowns since updating the VIA 4-in-1's.
Ohhh sorry to hear that....... ;^) that means no new build..

Old September 2nd 03, 03:47 AM
Fitz

There's still hope.....besides, it's going to be winter in Alaska soon- the
traditional season for computer upgrades.

Fitz

Asrock shutdowns ElJerid General 0 March 13th 04 08:38 AM
Random shutdowns Brian General 8 February 7th 04 11:38 PM