Intel Shelton

Old September 3rd 04, 10:04 PM
RusH

Default Intel Shelton

http://www.hkepc.com/hwdb/intelobc-3.htm

Banias with 0 L2 cache (zero :P) and 1GHz clock.

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH //
http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r=352019
Old September 3rd 04, 10:12 PM
Nudge

RusH wrote:

http://www.hkepc.com/hwdb/intelobc-3.htm

Banias with 0 L2 cache (zero :P) and 1GHz clock.

What's the transistor count? Since Intel stripped almost every
transistor, what's left is 64 KB SRAM (~3.5 million) + the core.
I've wondered how complex the Pentium M core was.

Old September 3rd 04, 11:32 PM
RusH

Nudge wrote :

RusH wrote:

http://www.hkepc.com/hwdb/intelobc-3.htm

Banias with 0 L2 cache (zero :P) and 1GHz clock.

What's the transistor count? Since Intel stripped almost every
transistor, what's left is 64 KB SRAM (~3.5 million) + the core.
I've wondered how complex the Pentium M core was.

count shmount, AMD XP processor running with 1250MHz and 1.15V works
with passive cooling just fine. And I mean stock AMD XP procesor with
L5 modded (mobilized), 5x250MHz FSB. Intel is backpeddaling.

Pozdrawiam.

Old September 4th 04, 07:12 AM
Yousuf Khan

RusH wrote:
http://www.hkepc.com/hwdb/intelobc-3.htm

Banias with 0 L2 cache (zero :P) and 1GHz clock.

So I guess that answers that speculation about whether it was a Pentium 4 or
a Pentium M core.

Yousuf Khan

Old September 4th 04, 08:39 AM
Yousuf Khan

RusH wrote:
http://www.hkepc.com/hwdb/intelobc-3.htm

Banias with 0 L2 cache (zero :P) and 1GHz clock.

Just as we were talking a conflicting report comes out about Shelton, from
Xbitlabs:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...902154930.html

They say it's based on Pentium 4. But looking at the original Hkepc article,
the CPUID clearly shows a Pentium M.

Yousuf Khan

Old September 5th 04, 11:06 PM
Nudge

JK wrote:

RusH wrote:

http://www.hkepc.com/hwdb/intelobc-3.htm

Banias with 0 L2 cache (zero :P) and 1GHz clock.

It isn't a 64 bit processor though.

What is your point?

Old September 6th 04, 09:43 AM
Grumble

JK wrote:

[Shelton] isn't a 64 bit processor though.

Isn't Shelton supposed to be dirt cheap?

Let's play guesstimates, give or take 20%. Strip the L2 cache, I call
~30 million transistors. At 90 nm, I'd bet on ~25 mm^2. In other words,
Shelton would be 4.5x smaller than Prescott. Moreover, it's only
supposed to run at 1 GHz, when Dothan scales to 2 GHz. I say Intel would
probably sell Shelton for less than $40.

It was fun making numbers up!
Old September 7th 04, 05:13 AM
Tony Hill

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 18:42:09 -0400, JK wrote:

RusH wrote:

http://www.hkepc.com/hwdb/intelobc-3.htm

Banias with 0 L2 cache (zero :P) and 1GHz clock.

It isn't a 64 bit processor though.

Uhh.. given the target market involved here, that is REALLY not an
issue! Even the fact that the performance will kind of stink isn't
such a huge issue for the target market, as the main competitor seems
to be VIA's C3 processor. One of these chips could make a nice base
for a PVR sort of setup (one of my many projects planned for when I'm
not broke!).

-------------
Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca
Old September 7th 04, 06:05 AM
JK

RusH wrote:

http://www.hkepc.com/hwdb/intelobc-3.htm

Banias with 0 L2 cache (zero :P) and 1GHz clock.

It isn't a 64 bit processor though.

Uhh.. given the target market involved here, that is REALLY not an
issue!

Perhaps not a big issue this moment, however it will be a much
more important issue after 64 bit Windows is released. Those
with foresight who don't plan to run 64 bit software immediately
realize that they will probably want to run 64 bit software within
around 30-36 months (perhaps the typical amount of time the
average person uses a notebook computer.)

Even the fact that the performance will kind of stink isn't
such a huge issue for the target market, as the main competitor seems
to be VIA's C3 processor.

We haven't seen the specs on the low power Athlon 64 chips yet.