Reclaim from disk error 23?

Old August 25th 03, 05:04 PM
Neil W.

Default Reclaim from disk error 23?

I am getting disk error 23 on a few sectors of an IDE hard drive (Dell
desktop). Is there any software that *might* help me reclaim the data on
those sectors? Or are those sectors lost forever? I was looking at Norton
Utilities and other similar utilities, but it wasn't clear that they could
do this.

Thanks.

Old August 25th 03, 09:01 PM
Neil W.

Thanks for the tip. Took a loot at their site, but they only support FAT.
My drive is NTFS.

--------------------------------------
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

Neil W wrote in message
.net...

I am getting disk error 23 on a few sectors of an IDE hard
drive (Dell desktop). Is there any software that *might* help
me reclaim the data on those sectors? Or are those sectors
lost forever? I was looking at Norton Utilities and other
similar utilities, but it wasn't clear that they could do this.

SpinRite claims to be able to do that.

Quite frankly, I dont believe the claims Gibson makes.

http://ww.grc.com/spinrite.htm

Old August 25th 03, 10:19 PM
Svend Olaf Mikkelsen

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 16:04:41 GMT, "Neil W."
wrote:

I am getting disk error 23 on a few sectors of an IDE hard drive (Dell
desktop). Is there any software that *might* help me reclaim the data on
those sectors? Or are those sectors lost forever? I was looking at Norton
Utilities and other similar utilities, but it wasn't clear that they could
do this.

Thanks.

How do you know that the sectors contain data you want?
--
Svend Olaf
Old August 26th 03, 05:12 PM
Neil W.

Because when I try to copy a couple of specific files from the bad drive to
another drive, it churns away for about 15 seconds and then gives up.

Neil
---------------------------------------

Old August 26th 03, 11:26 PM
Svend Olaf Mikkelsen

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 16:12:14 GMT, "Neil W."
wrote:

Because when I try to copy a couple of specific files from the bad drive to
another drive, it churns away for about 15 seconds and then gives up.

Neil

I understand this as you attempt to copy a single file, and then get
an error message.

When the file system is NTFS, it would be possible that the error is
in the Master File Table, since the entry you see in the file listing
is from a directory. If that is the case, the actual file content can
be OK, but the cluster numbers have to be retrieved from the Master
File Table, or guessed.

If the read errors are in the actual file content, it may be more
difficult to get the exact file content. The bad sectors can be read
using special disk commands, but some bits will be wrong.

If the errors are in the file content, the Linux dd_rescue program may
be able to copy files, but still with missing content from the bad
sectors.

My Findpart program would be able to retrieve the bad sectors, but
still with wrong bits, and it would require that the sector addresses
of the file content are known.

It is difficult to suggest an optimal strategy. I do not know of a
tool which will work in this case without hand work.
--
Svend Olaf
Old August 27th 03, 09:09 PM
Michael Hawes

I am getting disk error 23 on a few sectors of an IDE hard drive (Dell
desktop). Is there any software that *might* help me reclaim the data on
those sectors? Or are those sectors lost forever? I was looking at Norton
Utilities and other similar utilities, but it wasn't clear that they could
do this.

Thanks

Have you tried chkdsk x: /r where x is the drive in question?

Mike.

---