Can't back up to external hard drive via USB 1.1 - System freezes

Old August 10th 03, 06:44 PM
Tom

Default Can't back up to external hard drive via USB 1.1 - System freezes

I just bought and installed a Maxtor 160 GB 5000DV external drive for
backing up my computer. I can not copy large files (for example, 200
MB) or large numbers of files (system froze repeatedly while writing
50 files, seeming to freeze on ones larger than 10 MB, but finally
freezing permanently and having to be rebooted) to the drive without
my computer freezing, requiring a reboot.
Here are relevant system details: Dell XPS B733r Pentium III PC with
256 MB of memory; running Windows 98SE using available USB 1.1 port;
15 GB of available disk space on C drive; running Norton internet
security with Norton anti-virus autoprotect enabled.
I installed the Maxtor drive and software per instructions using USB
cable shipped with drive. I attempt to backup or copy drives after
fresh boot with no other apps running. Whether using one touch backup
or simply copying a file from internal drive, the copy or the large
file progresses for several minutes and then freezes, freezing the
computer and forcing a reboot. I have tried several copies of
different large files (200MB,400MB) using one touch backup, copy and
paste, and the copy command in DOS, but the write to the external
drive fails each time. I had the same problem with a Western Digital
external hard drive and returned the drive thinking there was a
problem with it.
Before returning this drive, I'd like to know if there is anything I
can do to successfully backup my computer via USB 1.1. Installing a
USB 2.0 card is not an option; I don't have an available PCI slot.
One other possibly relevant detail: Writes to floppy on this computer
are very slow; took ten minutes to write system files while creating a
boot disk.
Thanks in advance.
Old August 27th 03, 11:18 PM
mark

Tom,
I've had the same problems after installing a usb 2.0 card and
connecting an external case that has a WD 40GB hard drive mounted in
it via an EIDE to USB 2.0 interface. I partitioned the drive into 3
logical drives and Using MyComputer I can see them listed. But when I
try to use Backup or copy large files, the process proceeds properly
at first, then slows down, then hangs. I have copied files as large
as 320 MB with no problems. I have W98SE, 378 MB ram, 500 Mhz
Pentium III. If you find a solution, please inform me.
Thank You,
Mark