Compaq Hijack!

Old September 21st 03, 07:37 PM
Express

Default Compaq Hijack!

For whatever reason out of the blue a couple days ago my browser keeps going
to: http://presario.my.yahoo.com/

I can be on another page when all of a sudden it jumps to the above link on
it's own. Sometimes it does it when I have browser closed. What the heck is
this and is this a new tactic of Compaq?? I have a Presario 7110US. Anyone
know how I can disable this crap? It does it several times a day and it is
very annoying. HELP!

Old September 21st 03, 08:47 PM
Homer Simpson

Uptdate virus definitions, run a virus scan, then run a spybot scan. Check
Control Panel Scheduled Tasks for iexplore.exe or http...

et...

Old September 22nd 03, 03:40 AM
Express

There were no HTTP or IE tasks scheduled.. My Virus check came up clean and
I removed lots of crap with Adaware including lots of tracking cookies and
spyware.

However the problem persists! My browser is still getting hijacked into
http://presario.my.yahoo.com/ I'm going crazy trying to figure this out.
Help!

"Homer Simpson" wrote in message
Uptdate virus definitions, run a virus scan, then run a spybot scan.

Check
Control Panel Scheduled Tasks for iexplore.exe or http...

et...

Old September 22nd 03, 04:00 AM
Quaoar

Express wrote:
There were no HTTP or IE tasks scheduled.. My Virus check came up
clean and I removed lots of crap with Adaware including lots of
tracking cookies and spyware.

However the problem persists! My browser is still getting hijacked
into http://presario.my.yahoo.com/ I'm going crazy trying to figure
this out. Help!

"Homer Simpson" wrote in message
Uptdate virus definitions, run a virus scan, then run a spybot scan.

Check
Control Panel Scheduled Tasks for iexplore.exe or http...

"Express" wrote in message
et...
For whatever reason out of the blue a couple days ago my browser
keeps going to: http://presario.my.yahoo.com/

I can be on another page when all of a sudden it jumps to the above
link on it's own. Sometimes it does it when I have browser closed.
What the heck is this and is this a new tactic of Compaq?? I have a
Presario 7110US. Anyone know how I can disable this crap? It does
it several times a day and it is very annoying. HELP!

Check each startup application. Start/Run/type: msconfig/Startup Tab.
Check each entry and what it is for. Use this site to help identify the
executables:
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup...artup_full.htm. Uncheck
whatever is not necessary.

Old September 22nd 03, 05:02 AM
Express

Did that also.. Everything in there was identified and validated. Nothing in
there had anything to do with random browser hijacks!

It's strange that this thing starts a browser when I have browser closed. It
takes me right into that Presario site.

"Quaoar" wrote in message
Express wrote:
There were no HTTP or IE tasks scheduled.. My Virus check came up
clean and I removed lots of crap with Adaware including lots of
tracking cookies and spyware.

However the problem persists! My browser is still getting hijacked
into http://presario.my.yahoo.com/ I'm going crazy trying to figure
this out. Help!

"Homer Simpson" wrote in message
Uptdate virus definitions, run a virus scan, then run a spybot scan.

Check
Control Panel Scheduled Tasks for iexplore.exe or http...

et...

Old September 22nd 03, 05:20 AM
Express

Ok, I should get the dumb ass award for this!! :-) I have resolved the
issue.. It turns out my Compaq keyboard was slightly tucked in tight below
the monitor and the applied pressure from monitor was pushing the "I" button
which takes you to http://presario.my.yahoo.com/ since my desk gives a bit
with slight movement it triggered the pressure only with movement. Yes, I
feel the shame! Thanks all for your help!

"Quaoar" wrote in message
Express wrote:
There were no HTTP or IE tasks scheduled.. My Virus check came up
clean and I removed lots of crap with Adaware including lots of
tracking cookies and spyware.

However the problem persists! My browser is still getting hijacked
into http://presario.my.yahoo.com/ I'm going crazy trying to figure
this out. Help!

"Homer Simpson" wrote in message
Uptdate virus definitions, run a virus scan, then run a spybot scan.
Check
Control Panel Scheduled Tasks for iexplore.exe or http...

et...

Old September 22nd 03, 05:52 AM
HH

No shame. At least you "fessed up" so folks would not be running around
trying to figure out a solution. Points for you.
HH

"Quaoar" wrote in message
Express wrote:
There were no HTTP or IE tasks scheduled.. My Virus check came up
clean and I removed lots of crap with Adaware including lots of
tracking cookies and spyware.

However the problem persists! My browser is still getting hijacked
into http://presario.my.yahoo.com/ I'm going crazy trying to figure
this out. Help!

"Homer Simpson" wrote in message
Uptdate virus definitions, run a virus scan, then run a spybot

scan.
Check
Control Panel Scheduled Tasks for iexplore.exe or http...

et...

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 August 11th 03 08:46 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 1 August 7th 03 11:24 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 August 7th 03 04:22 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 August 1st 03 09:24 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 20th 03 03:09 PM