Still having problems Compaq 5452

Old September 22nd 03, 06:44 AM
md

Default Still having problems Compaq 5452

I POSTED THE TWO PROBLEMS BELOW YESTERDAY on THE COMPAQ SITE AND GOT SOME
HELP, BUT NOTHING HAS HELPED..

Two real problems -- anything in the CD drive, after windows 98se has
started causes blue screen of death and then a functional crash (tried
turning off DMA, etc. as suggested) So I can't use CD Drive (actually it is
a DVD drive) at all. Thus can't load other drivers or run norton utilities,
etc.

Second problem is that I cannot get the onboard video at anything better
than 640x480. Can't find a video driver anywhere for it.

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS? Mark

..
Hello....my son and i have a program to refurbish older computers to give to
kids who can't afford them...have problems with a nice 5452 presario donated
to us...

2 problems == did not reformat the drive on this one, but cant get a good
video driver. cant find a driver on the compq website...only gives me
640x480 and 16 colors. where can i find a driver and what specific driver
should i use?

2. after adding a flash bios update, when i put anything in the CD drive
(it is actually a dvd drive), i get the blue screen of death and everything
hangs up...goes to inactive desktop and cd drive wont open again until i
restart. i think the cd drive was working before the bios upgrade. do i
need to go into bios and change anything? any ideas?

if you don't mind, pls email me at info (at) kramden.net

Old September 22nd 03, 01:23 PM
the yeti

I POSTED THE TWO PROBLEMS BELOW YESTERDAY on THE COMPAQ SITE AND GOT SOME
HELP, BUT NOTHING HAS HELPED..

Please don't yell, it hurts my eyes and impairs my thinking.

So I can't use CD Drive (actually it is a DVD drive) at all.

If its a DVD drive, just say so, you wouldn't call a dog a cat would
you?

Second problem is that I cannot get the onboard video at anything

better
than 640x480. Can't find a video driver anywhere for it.

Use a program called AIDA32 to find out the video card information and
it will also point you the the Chipset manufactures website.

There is a problem with some older computers that will cause a
failure, or BSOD, if an early version of Adaptec CD burning software
is installed and A DVD drive is added. They just are totally not
compatable. Remove the software and your computer will be fine. This
is just one possible suggestion. You might also want to go to
Adaptec's web site and check your version of ASPI.

if you don't mind, pls email me at info (at) kramden.net

I do mind, you posted in a newsgroup and I will reply in a newsgroup.
Old September 22nd 03, 01:28 PM
Miggsee

I've had luck with using www.driversguide.com to find Compaq drivers. I
reformatted an older Compaq last weekend, and found the integrated
modem/sound card drivers at this site.
User name = drivers
Password = all.

. ..

.

Omega Drivers Striker Ati Videocards 14 June 10th 04 02:40 PM
Probleme mit USV Compaq 3000H / problems with compay UPS/USV 3000H Per Idestr?m General 1 April 15th 04 05:39 PM
To All HP & Compaq Laptop Users, please read this Yvo General 4 March 6th 04 02:43 PM
DirectX Problems! Faustus Homebuilt PC's 4 December 24th 03 10:42 PM
Major Computer Problems Toronto Garage Door Company General 20 November 13th 03 09:41 PM