Problems after System Restore

Old July 22nd 03, 01:24 PM
Jeff

Default Problems after System Restore

I am running a 500xl w/512mb RAM. Over the past 2 days, I have been
having problems which have now progressed to not being able to load
the desktop. Initially, I was able to load the desktop, but it was
taking longer to load. Next, my DSL was not working properly (slow and
then intermittent connections), and after 3 hours on the phone with my
DSL provider's tech support, they were stumped. This morning, I was
unable to even connect to DSL, so I went in to Help and Support on the
computer, ran PC Doctor on my network card, and the test failed. Since
I was having problems loading my desktop settings (very slow to load),
I did a system restore. Now, when I reboot the computer, the mouse
does not work (it's an optical mouse; when the computer first starts,
it "lights up", but once Windows has loaded, it doesn't work. Yes, it
is connected properly). When I go into my desktop (using the
keyboard), my desktop will open, but none of the icons will load and
it freezes).

The only changes I have made recently was to uninstall AVG Anti-virus,
and install Norton Anti-virus 2003(2 days before the problems
started). Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old July 23rd 03, 04:51 PM
Tom Clydesdale

I couldn't help notice your two postings that refer to network card
operation. Could that be the common cause - i.e. a failing "board"?

Is the "network card" a separate unit or a built-in component of the mother
board? If the former, I would remove it and see if the boot problems go
away, and if the latter go to the BIOS, cripple it, and check on the boot
situation. Since your other posting suggests a software check failure of
the "network card" I would also try to get a warranty replacement (mother
board or network card) if that is possible otherwise I would buy a
replacement card (approx. $10-$15 with discount) install it and remove or
cripple the existing unit.

Good luck
Tom
om...

Old July 24th 03, 11:12 PM
Edward J. Neth

No, but the disconnected NIC couldn't pass a loopback test, which is likely
why the adapter failed when it was disconnected.

"Jeff" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for the suggestions. The network adapter is integrated into the
motherboard. I ran a diagnostic on the mobo and it passed. The network
adapter failed the diagnostic while my router was disconnected; I had
disconnected it when I was having the problems connecting, thinking it
was the router. Once I reconnected the router, the network adapter
passed the diagnostic! I am still having slower download speeds, but
Verizon is sending a tech to the house to check the wiring; they think
that may be the culprit with my slower download speeds. Other than
that, everything is working fine now. My guess is that the settings
for the router that are on the computer may have screwed up the