A computer components & hardware forum. HardwareBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » HardwareBanter forum » Processors » General
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Intel CPU prices going up?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old October 24th 18, 09:39 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.windows7.general
Paul[_28_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 835
Default Intel CPU prices going up?

Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 10/23/2018 1:45 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
You're obviously making guesses. Demand hasn't gone up despite all the
news pundits saying otherwise. "Apparently" is another guess.


We all are, as Intel obviously won't tell us. Anything you or I say will
just be guesses. No point in mentioning it even, as it's assumed. But we
all have our years of experience to draw on, and our guesses can be
somewhat accurate.

Intel is having to produce six- and eight-core processors when it's used
to producing only quad-core maximum. It produced a lot of good dies of
quad-core, but a hex- or octa-core will have larger dies, and that would
make the number of good dies lower. A die that is twice as big will
result in an overall 75%-80% decrease in the number dies per wafer. That
includes wasted space along the sides of the wafer.

Whereas AMD is just continuing to produce quad-core dies all day long,
and if it wants an octa-core, it just gives you two of them!

Yousuf Khan


I think the Ryzen is a single die with two CCX on it.
So your yield is for an 8 core chips.

https://wccftech.com/amd-zeppelin-so...4-cores-rumor/

Paul
  #32  
Old November 13th 18, 10:28 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.windows7.general
Yousuf Khan[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,238
Default Intel CPU prices going up?

On 10/24/2018 4:39 AM, Paul wrote:
I think the Ryzen is a single die with two CCX on it.
So your yield is for an 8 core chips.

https://wccftech.com/amd-zeppelin-so...4-cores-rumor/


Paul


The CCX's are separate dies. That's why AMD is able to produce so many
of them for cheaply. In fact, it's given AMD a real advantage over
Intel, as Intel can't easily produce multi-chip modules yet. It needs a
major design overhaul to achieve that. AMD probably already took the
pain during the Bulldozer years, ironed out all of the necessary steps
to produce MCM modules. Even though Bulldozer weren't MCM's, they had a
lot of features similar to MCM's.

Yousuf Khan
  #33  
Old November 14th 18, 12:16 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.windows7.general
Paul[_28_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 835
Default Intel CPU prices going up?

Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 10/24/2018 4:39 AM, Paul wrote:
I think the Ryzen is a single die with two CCX on it.
So your yield is for an 8 core chips.

https://wccftech.com/amd-zeppelin-so...4-cores-rumor/


Paul


The CCX's are separate dies. That's why AMD is able to produce so many
of them for cheaply. In fact, it's given AMD a real advantage over
Intel, as Intel can't easily produce multi-chip modules yet. It needs a
major design overhaul to achieve that. AMD probably already took the
pain during the Bulldozer years, ironed out all of the necessary steps
to produce MCM modules. Even though Bulldozer weren't MCM's, they had a
lot of features similar to MCM's.

Yousuf Khan


Looks like one silicon die to me. There are two IP blocks on it.

http://i.imgur.com/9TIpxDY.jpg

On the mobile part, there is one IP block (4 cores/8 threads)

https://tablet-news.com/wp-content/u...l-page-037.jpg

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11964...nd-updated-zen

"While Ryzen, Threadripper, and EPYC have used the 8-core Zeppelin
building block for their products, the laptop side of the equation
will combine the new high-performance Zen core with the latest Vega
graphics in a single piece of silicon.

Quad-Core with SMT
Vega 10 - 10 CUs (640 SPs)
"

Die shot of the mobile part, with one CCX on the left, GPU on the right.

https://images.anandtech.com/doci/11...52_678x452.jpg

HTH,
Paul
  #34  
Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.windows7.general
Yousuf Khan[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,238
Default Intel CPU prices going up?

On 11/13/2018 6:16 PM, Paul wrote:
Looks like one silicon die to me. There are two IP blocks on it.

http://i.imgur.com/9TIpxDY.jpg

On the mobile part, there is one IP block (4 cores/8 threads)

https://tablet-news.com/wp-content/u...l-page-037.jpg


https://www.anandtech.com/show/11964...nd-updated-zen


"While Ryzen, Threadripper, and EPYC have used the 8-core Zeppelin
building block for their products, the laptop side of the equation
will combine the new high-performance Zen core with the latest Vega
graphics in a single piece of silicon.

Quad-Core with SMT
Vega 10 - 10 CUs (640 SPs)
"

Die shot of the mobile part, with one CCX on the left, GPU on the right.

https://images.anandtech.com/doci/11...52_678x452.jpg


HTH,
Paul


The Ryzens use 4-core CCX's, while the Threadrippers use 8-core CCX's.
Here's the Ryzen block diagram:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment..._44_33_and_22/
  #35  
Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.windows7.general
Paul[_28_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 835
Default Intel CPU prices going up?

Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 11/13/2018 6:16 PM, Paul wrote:
Looks like one silicon die to me. There are two IP blocks on it.

http://i.imgur.com/9TIpxDY.jpg

On the mobile part, there is one IP block (4 cores/8 threads)

https://tablet-news.com/wp-content/u...l-page-037.jpg


https://www.anandtech.com/show/11964...nd-updated-zen


"While Ryzen, Threadripper, and EPYC have used the 8-core Zeppelin
building block for their products, the laptop side of the equation
will combine the new high-performance Zen core with the latest Vega
graphics in a single piece of silicon.

Quad-Core with SMT
Vega 10 - 10 CUs (640 SPs)
"

Die shot of the mobile part, with one CCX on the left, GPU on the right.

https://images.anandtech.com/doci/11...52_678x452.jpg


HTH,
Paul


The Ryzens use 4-core CCX's, while the Threadrippers use 8-core CCX's.
Here's the Ryzen block diagram:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment..._44_33_and_22/


And that's exactly what my quotes above, provide.

The Ryzen product (APU flavor), uses a new die,
with a 4 core CCX and a GPU. The "IP" (Intellectual Property)
block size is a 4 core CCX, which is getting reused.

In the Zeppelin core, two 4 core CCX IP blocks
are combined on one 8 core die. The 8 core die
is replicated as four dice in an Epyc. This means
they're manufacturing 8 core parts on the silicon
wafer.

There is a grand total of two die designs.

Ryzen as APU 4 core CCX + GPU on a single die --- A unique
design
Ryzen desktop two 4 core CCX Zepplin in a single die \
\
Threadripper two dice of the "Ryzen desktop" persuasion \ The idea
two dummy dice (replaced by working dice \ is to
in the next generation, dice don't have RAM / reuse
connected). / the same
Epyc four dice of the "Ryzen desktop" persuasion / silicon die

So they are required to yield 8 core component parts. To make
some of the more profitable packaged products.

This diagram is an eight core silicon die. The red line, is an
architectural shortcoming, not a "snip point".

https://external-preview.redd.it/ynh...f106cb9 dae33

The die is one continuous thing.

http://i.imgur.com/le2atYb.jpg

Paul
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Intel cuts cpu prices 50%? Joe_Z[_5_] Overclocking 5 May 3rd 08 04:17 AM
Intel now also drops prices by up to 40% Jan Panteltje General 0 April 23rd 07 06:34 PM
When is the next fall in Intel processor prices due? Matt U.K. Homebuilt PC's 7 July 20th 05 09:23 AM
intel prices blackgold Intel 2 November 4th 03 01:51 AM
Intel cutting prices? Fishface Overclocking 0 October 12th 03 05:21 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 HardwareBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.