Fanless Duron 700 MHz possible?

Old March 3rd 04, 11:44 AM
rstlne

Default Fanless Duron 700 MHz possible?

"Dave LB" wrote in message
Is it possible to use only a standard heatsink for a Duron 700 MHz
without a fan?

Using a temperature probe on the heatsink fins I get a reading of no
more than about 43 C (110 F).

This site says I can go up to 90 C .

http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Art...peratures.shtm

Is it likely I will go as high as this without a fan? (My mobo has
no temp sensor.)

I would guess with the "proper" cooling yes..
Fan off doesnt mean instant cpu death so you can test it without "too" much
worry..
I have a barton 2500+ and it runs at 45c (for those who see me quote diff
numbers I just quote what it is at the time ) (board temp of 25c) and I
have debated running mine fanless
Something like the dp-102 might work well in a tower.. But a large block
heatsink might not work too good at all..
Your PSU will help provide airflow but you need to keep in mind that (if
you have a older case) your cpu temp is going to build up behind the psu,
and heat it up too.. That will lead to errors in the PSU if it gets too hot,
not to mention the fact that if the psu is thermally controlled it'll drive
full..

But i'll go back to my first few lines..
Give it a try and see ..
If I were doing it I would start the pc up, let temp get stable, unplug fan
and then if it starts to go too high then plug it back in instead of turning
it off.
AsusProbe will chart a graph for you and that will help..

Now for the kicker, The temp sensor that's being red isnt your temp.. If
that temp sensor says 90.. then your chip will proably be dead.. I wouldnt
let it go past about 60/65

Old March 3rd 04, 02:01 PM
scott and barb

My Duron 750 fan accidently got a cable stuck in it.The temp when I found it
was around 50 C after probably 10 minutes of running with no fan.I quickly
removed the obstruction.This was an average el-cheepo fan and heatsink.

Old March 5th 04, 01:31 AM
~misfit~

Dave LB wrote:
Is it possible to use only a standard heatsink for a Duron 700 MHz
without a fan?

Using a temperature probe on the heatsink fins I get a reading of no
more than about 43 C (110 F).

This site says I can go up to 90 C .

http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Art...peratures.shtm

Is it likely I will go as high as this without a fan? (My mobo has
no temp sensor.)

The temp you're reading on the heatsink is probably at least 20°C lower than
the core temp, maybe even 30°C or more.
--
~misfit~