Windows 98 Second Edition issue

Old August 3rd 03, 01:55 PM
HistoryFan

Default Windows 98 Second Edition issue

Hey everyone. My computer (a Gateway G6-450) is running Windows 98
First Edition. After we get a 2nd computer later this year, I'd like to
sign up for Road Runner's wireless package. However, I just found out from
them that both computer's must be running Windows 98 Second Edition or
higher. This leads to a question.

Let's say I go out and buy Windows 98SE (about $95). Once I begin
the installation, will it erase any of my personal data and programs, or
just install on top of 98FE? Also, I'm currently using IE 5.5SP2. I have
heard that you need to revert back to IE 4.01 before installing 98SE to
avoid conflicts. However, I can't do that with my computer. The earliest I
can go back is 5.5. Please advise.

Old August 3rd 03, 03:49 PM
HistoryFan

Well, XP might not be a good idea, because I just downloaded and
ran the XP Upgrade Advisor and it found several potential hardware and
software problems with my PC.

"Edward J. Neth" wrote in message
y.com...
The retail versions of 98SE weren't designed to upgrade 98 machines to

98SE.
Microsoft sold a $25 disc for a time that was intended to do that job.

Since you have a 450 MHz system, upgrade the RAM to a minimum of 256

MBytes,
and do a clean install of Windows XP Home - it will cost about the same,

and
security updates will continue for several years (though MS has extended

the
updates on 98SE, they will end next year).

If you still choose to go with 98SE, format the system and install it
clean - don't upgrade unless you can find the specific upgrade disc, and

DO
back up everything, whichever method you choose.

Old August 3rd 03, 04:09 PM
Edward J. Neth

There will no doubt need to be software updates, but the hardware that
shipped with the system will work fine with XP - though some other
peripheral equipment (scanner, printer, etc.) may or may not - you would
need to check with the manufacturer.

Look for a secondhand or old-stock copy of 98 - no sense paying $100 for a
dead-end, unsupported operating system like 98SE.

Old August 3rd 03, 10:55 PM
HistoryFan

Thanks, but I've decided against upgrading the operating system. Too
many potential problems, and its not worth the trouble.

"Bill" wrote in message
Email me privately I might be able to help.