Dare I dual? (All-In-Wonders)

Old May 31st 04, 12:45 AM
Verizon

Default Dare I dual? (All-In-Wonders)

I have a AIW 8500-DV in my [AGP] port and it's working just fine. I would
like to also have dual monitors on my setup. I also have an AIW Rage 128 Pro
[PCI] just sitting around. What's the chances that I could get both AIWs
going in the same system (and working properly)?

~Ben

Old May 31st 04, 08:37 AM
Frank Schmidt

Try it, plug it in, if you got XP should be no problem.

If you boot up be sure to set the bios option to use the AGP card first.
Otherwise the PCI card will be the primary gfx card.

Old May 31st 04, 08:38 AM
§

Verizon wrote:
What's the chances that I
could get both AIWs going in the same system (and working properly)?

~Ben

When you find out let us know.

Old May 31st 04, 05:34 PM
Mangyrat

http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/
go here and read up on that card combonation.
your probly gona need to go to bios and set it to boot to PCI first.
but after you get it up and runing you can always play your games on the agp
card.

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

Old May 31st 04, 06:45 PM
Ben

Well I did it and it's working just fine. Windows XP didn't have the proper
driver for the Rage 128 for some reason and I had to download it from ATI. I
only installed the graphic driver set. It's doing just what I want it to do
now (giving me two working monitors). I'm too scared of messing things up to
install the MMC for the AIW 128 also.
I have a ASUS P4T-E Motherboard with the latest BIOS installed but I could
not find anyplace to switch my primary video card. As my system boots up I
see the Windows XP loading Logo on the PCI screen but when it get to the
login screen, that shows up on my AGP screen and the AGP screen remains the
primary screen from then on.
Bottom line is that it works and I'm happy.
Thanks everyone.
~Ben

Old May 31st 04, 06:49 PM
Mangyrat

grab ultramonitor its a good tool to set up games and apps to run on what
monitor you want.
congrat on the setup. after you go duals youl never go back.

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

Old June 1st 04, 04:12 PM
Ben

Update:
I have found that all my webcam compatible programs such as P2P messenger,
MS IM, and Yahoo IM, all have problems detecting the right card to get the
video signal from(and end up locking up the program or showing no video)
I've been around and around with this, changing setting and reinstalling
drivers but in the end none of the applications know how to handle two
All-In-Wonder cards.
Well it was a good try.
~Ben

Old June 1st 04, 06:08 PM
Mangyrat

sorry to hear that. if you every run across a cheap pci card try again.
i found out a while back to stay away form all in wonders and just buy tv
cards.

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

Old June 2nd 04, 03:12 AM
Ben

Oh I have LOTS of cheap PCI cards. I got them when the company I worked for
went out of business and they told me to take whatever I wanted. I switched
to a VooDoo III and it's working fine now. I was just curious about running
two AIWs at the same time. It was a fun experiment.
~Ben

dual CPU set-up/ john_D General 6 January 16th 05 12:28 AM
Dual CPU systems - still worth it? Mr. Grinch Overclocking AMD Processors 9 May 2nd 04 09:02 AM
Mushkin PC3200 1Gb Dual Packs from Fry's DW General 3 September 24th 03 10:37 AM
Mushkin PC3200 1Gb Dual Packs from Fry's DW Overclocking 3 September 24th 03 10:37 AM
Mushkin PC3200 1Gb Dual Packs from Fry's DW Homebuilt PC's 7 September 24th 03 10:37 AM