M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3: disabling IDE disabled wireless NIC

Old February 3rd 11, 02:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Percival P. Cassidy[_2_]

Default M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3: disabling IDE disabled wireless NIC

I set this Windows 7 Pro machine up originally with an IDE optical
drive. A couple days ago I added an SATA optical drive, but instead of
removing or disconnecting the IDE drive I simply disabled IDE/1394 in
the BIOS.

I then found that my D-Link PCIe Wireless N card no longer worked: it
did not even show up in Device Manager.

Anyone else with a similar problem? Or.. more generally, found that
disabling IDE/1394 disables a PCIe slot?

Perce
Old February 3rd 11, 05:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Foke[_2_]

On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 09:06:28 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

I set this Windows 7 Pro machine up originally with an IDE optical
drive. A couple days ago I added an SATA optical drive, but instead of
removing or disconnecting the IDE drive I simply disabled IDE/1394 in
the BIOS.

I then found that my D-Link PCIe Wireless N card no longer worked: it
did not even show up in Device Manager.

Anyone else with a similar problem? Or.. more generally, found that
disabling IDE/1394 disables a PCIe slot?

Perce

I'm a bit confused. What does 1394 (Firewire) have to do with IDE? I
don't have that mobo, but I've never seen the two things married together
like that.
Old February 3rd 11, 05:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Percival P. Cassidy[_2_]

On 02/03/11 12:27 pm, Foke wrote:

I set this Windows 7 Pro machine up originally with an IDE optical
drive. A couple days ago I added an SATA optical drive, but instead of
removing or disconnecting the IDE drive I simply disabled IDE/1394 in
the BIOS.

I then found that my D-Link PCIe Wireless N card no longer worked: it
did not even show up in Device Manager.

Anyone else with a similar problem? Or.. more generally, found that
disabling IDE/1394 disables a PCIe slot?

I'm a bit confused. What does 1394 (Firewire) have to do with IDE? I
don't have that mobo, but I've never seen the two things married together
like that.

I agree that it's an odd combination, but on this board they are indeed
combined in a singe chip, a VIA VT6330:

http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/pe...s/1394/vt6330/

and I have now found a report on an Asus forum that disabling the
IDE/1394 erroneously does disable the 1x PCIe slot as well.

Perce
Old February 3rd 11, 08:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 02/03/11 12:27 pm, Foke wrote:

[...]

Did you check to see, if any new BIOS is available for it ?
Perhaps the release notes for the BIOS downloads, will
indicate it's been fixed.

The board is a little weird, in terms of lane count.
The 880G has x16 and x4 interfaces. The SB850 has (2) x1.
The board has two video card slots (so that would be
the x16 and x4 part). But there are three loads for
x1 lanes. And one review, mentions there is a PLX bridge
chip involved. So the x4 from the 880G, might go to the
bridge chip first. They may need to do that, to support the
third x1 interface needed (VT6330, NEC USB3 chip, x1 slot).

If there was a coupling between the setting and the behavior of
the x1 slot, I would have expected disabling the VT6330, causes
the x1 to be enabled. Rather than the other way around. On
some boards that uses switching chips, they sometimes disable
PCI Express slots, in order to allow an onboard chip to work.
But yours doesn't seem to be running that way.

Paul