installing an LTO3 drive along side IBM LTO1 drives

Old June 15th 06, 04:57 PM posted to comp.arch.storage

Default installing an LTO3 drive along side IBM LTO1 drives

I have a Scalar 100 with 3 IBM Ultrium LTO1 drives installed. I have a
need to add a drive or upgrade completely to LTO3. I want to know if
installing say a Certance CL1101 will work and what steps it takes to
get the library to notice the drives.

Thanks

Old June 22nd 06, 10:36 PM posted to comp.arch.storage

In article xfkkg.2330$YI3.2291@amstwist00, says...

"Andy" wrote in message
In article .com,
says...

I have a Scalar 100 with 3 IBM Ultrium LTO1 drives installed. I have a
need to add a drive or upgrade completely to LTO3. I want to know if
installing say a Certance CL1101 will work and what steps it takes to
get the library to notice the drives.

tape libraries usually / always require that all (including addon)
drives come from the library manufacturer since they are not only
OEM library type drives with library firmware but also usually come
with firmware needed to make it work with that specific library.

That's no longer entirely valid. Since the introduction of the ADI serial
connection the LTO drive vendors don't differentiate between library and
stand-alone drives. In fact, there's one library vendor I know of that
doesn't deliver LTO drives with it's libraries, you have to supply your own.

The drive can detect that a library is attached to the serial link. Once
they detect the library, the drive will respond to LUN1 and accept SCSI
commands for the library. The library will need to support the ADI standard
of the drive though, so you may still need newer library firmware to get
LTO-3 drives to work in it.

again, partially valid
in one of my alternitive identities as an ADIC distributor
i called our ADIC regional SE and asked him the question
he said that while there are no longer specific library firware drives
you must buy the drive from ADIC to have it work because among other
things ADIC must
a. qualify that the firmware & init strings will work with the library
b. ADIC MUST put the drive in an ADIC sled for the library to be able
to use it

_____ . .
' \\ . . |
O// . . |
\_\ . . |
| | . . . |
/ | .
www.EvenEnterprises.com . . . |
/ .| . . . |
/ . | 310-544-9439 / 310-544-9309 fax . . . o
Authorized - DIRECT VAR/VAD/Distributor for new mid-high end storage
iSCSI/NAS/SAN/RAID from EMC, HP, Equallogic, Quantum, OverLand Storage

Old June 24th 06, 08:38 AM posted to comp.arch.storage

crobinson88 wrote:
I have a Scalar 100 with 3 IBM Ultrium LTO1 drives installed. I have a
need to add a drive or upgrade completely to LTO3. I want to know if
installing say a Certance CL1101 will work and what steps it takes to
get the library to notice the drives.

Thanks

Maybe my explanation will be useful.
"Drive" is not only a drive itself but also contains a drive sled
which comes with the drive.
Both have a F/W built (uploaded?)onto it.
ADIC and Dell are using IBM drives with certain F/W.
You can probably use normal standalone IBM drives ( a lot of unscrewing
and screwing in sledsand aligning) but after it will be done a F/W
update have to be carried out to allow library to see the drives.( you
can of course use existing LTO1 sleds)
You will have to equalise library F/W ( allowing it to recognize LTO3
drives) with drive and sled F/W ( allowing this to work correctly with
library).
I don't know what warranty you have on this SCALAR but entire operation
will void warranty ( if any).
So - please calculate costs of getting drives from IBM - (drives from
different vendor probably will not work with Scalar) plus labour plus
support after you will manage it to work.
Sorry - iIhave no idea about costs of conversion - i am only a
technical guy fixing them.

Regards