HBA failover on Windows ?

Old June 26th 06, 01:34 AM posted to comp.arch.storage

Default HBA failover on Windows ?

Do you mean that it's specific to the HBA manufacturer?

Moojit wrote:
Nope. Failover software is typically a filter driver that run atop the HBA
Miniport driver (referencing Windows). You will never find this
functionality in a standalone - Emulex or Qlogic for example. Failover
algorithm's are proprietary and are specific to the storage vendor's
hardware.

Da Moojit.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Ed Wilts wrote:
wrote:
Is there anyone who configured an HBA failover on Windows ?

Yes, many times. You need to tell us which storage you require failover
on since the solutions very.

I've run EMC's PowerPath, HP's SecurePath, and Microsoft's MPIO. All
work

None of them is an "HBA failover". I wasn't clear enough. When I wrote
"HBA failover" I meant the failover between ports on the same HBA
provided by the HBA driver, not by the 3rd-part software or Microsoft
MPIO.

The Veritas DMP product supports a lot of different configurations but
I haven't worked with DMP on Windows.

What I need is a simple failover driver, not load-balancing, not a
failover between 2 different HBAs. Am I the only one who needs it?

So what are trying to accomplish? One HBA to an active/passive or
active/active controller? Which one?

One HBA, 2 ports to 2 ports of active/active storage
or degraded configurations like:
One HBA, 1 port via FC switch to 2 ports of active/active storage
One HBA, 2 ports via FC switch to 1 port of active/active storage
It looks that Emulex,QLogic,LSI Logic stopped to support the failover
in the HBA driver for WIndows, that's why I am asking.

Thank you,
-- Leon

Old June 27th 06, 03:59 AM posted to comp.arch.storage

No, I meant it's specific to the target vendor -- EMC has PowerPath, HP has
SecurePath, etc ...There is a standard defined in the SAM specs I believe,
but this came out after these companies had designed their own failover
algorithms. Everyone is trying to address these interoperability issues via
the Storage Management Initiative Specification which would allow everyone
to failover everyone using target vendor software modules.

The Moojit.

oups.com...

Moojit wrote:
Nope. Failover software is typically a filter driver that run atop the
HBA
Miniport driver (referencing Windows). You will never find this
functionality in a standalone - Emulex or Qlogic for example. Failover
algorithm's are proprietary and are specific to the storage vendor's
hardware.

Da Moojit.

wrote in message
oups.com...