Bartons using the 400 Mhz FSB

Old July 6th 03, 05:47 PM
Roger Squires

Default Bartons using the 400 Mhz FSB

I suggest a 2500+ barton, it will happily run at 2800+ (or 3200+) speeds, at
quite a bit less.

rms

Old July 7th 03, 04:39 AM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 19:11:12 +0100, Richard Wilson wrote:

I live in the UK, and face the same problem. I am going to build my first
comp, and want it to be as fast as possible so would prefer to have a 400MHz
FSB, but chips with 333MHz compatibility are a lot cheaper.

Is it better to go for the cheaper option, or will it make mores sense in
the long run to pay more now so as not to need to upgrade so soon in the
future? I was thinking of the 3000+ for 333MHz or 3200+ if going for the
400MHz [there's a £135 difference].

Forget the cpu when it comes to FSB. Any Barton will run a 200MHz FSB. Ant
Tbred will run a 200MHz FSB. The problem you'll have with a 200MHZ FSB will
be the MB and/or ram. IOW's, if you can't get a 2500+ to run at 200MHz
FSB, you won't get a 3200+ too either. It's not a cpu limitation. It's the
MB/ram.