Recommendations for third-party ink for Epson Stylus Photo 830U

Old September 14th 03, 02:48 PM
Richard Gaywood

Default Recommendations for third-party ink for Epson Stylus Photo 830U

Well, having just exhausted the freebie Epson colour cartridge that came
with my 830U, I'm in the market for more ink. As I'd prefer to pay a bit
less per millilitre than Dom Perignon '85 I've had a scout around and
come across dozens of third-party ink suppliers with wildly different
pricing.

Assuming that not all of these third party inks are created equal, could
anyone tip me off about good/bad experiences they've had?

Thanks in advance!

--
"Guard that door!" | -=R=-
"Hey! Dogs guard. Cats watch... and judge." |web: http://
Old September 14th 03, 04:29 PM
garyfromnotts

Well, having just exhausted the freebie Epson colour cartridge that came
with my 830U, I'm in the market for more ink. As I'd prefer to pay a bit
less per millilitre than Dom Perignon '85 I've had a scout around and
come across dozens of third-party ink suppliers with wildly different
pricing.

Assuming that not all of these third party inks are created equal, could
anyone tip me off about good/bad experiences they've had?

Thanks in advance!

try www.ink-spot.co.uk they use 'Ink Again' brand which I have always found
to be very good quality and their prices are not much more than the cheaper
stuff

Old September 14th 03, 07:56 PM
belfast biker

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 17:13:19 +0100, Malev wrote:

Get yourself a large bottle of ammonia to clean the nozzles regularly.
Epson printers are a bugger re. clogged up nozzles.

How do you go about cleaning em?

--
------- o
----- #\,
Old September 15th 03, 07:34 PM
belfast biker

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 21:22:59 +0100, Malev wrote:

Remove cartridges and inject ammonia in the printer's tubes that lead
to the nozzles.
A large bottle of ammonia cost a couple of quid at the hardware store.

Many thanks!

--
------- o
----- #\,
Old September 17th 03, 12:25 PM
Niall Leonard

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 14:48:32 +0100, Richard Gaywood
wrote:

Well, having just exhausted the freebie Epson colour cartridge that came
with my 830U, I'm in the market for more ink. As I'd prefer to pay a bit
less per millilitre than Dom Perignon '85 I've had a scout around and
come across dozens of third-party ink suppliers with wildly different
pricing.

Assuming that not all of these third party inks are created equal, could
anyone tip me off about good/bad experiences they've had?

Thanks in advance!

Bear in mind that if your printer goes tits up within the first year
Epson will replace it free of charge provided you have only used Epson
cartridges.

Of course, how they can *tell* you have only used Epson cartridges is
open to question. So let me rephrase that first line:

Bear in mind that if your printer goes tits up within the first year
Epson will replace it free of charge provided you tell them when you
ring up the support line that you have only ever used Epson
cartridges.

Also bear in mind that Epson nozzles can clog if they're not used
every day. I have an 895 that I only occasionally use for colour
printing and when I do use it I always have to clean the nozzles. I
appreciate the ammonia tip... the cleaning routine that is part of the
printer driver uses up a fook of a lot of expensive ink. And it's a
really badly written utility.

nl

I've munged my email address to avoid spam. Replace the zeroes to reply.
Old September 17th 03, 01:23 PM
Lee J. Moore

In uk.comp.vendors, Niall waffled thusly:

Also bear in mind that Epson nozzles can clog if they're not
used every day. I have an 895 that I only occasionally use
for colour printing and when I do use it I always have to
clean the nozzles. I appreciate the ammonia tip... the
cleaning routine that is part of the printer driver uses up a
fook of a lot of expensive ink. And it's a really badly
written utility.

My newer Epson Photo printer is far better (for text as well as
photographic printouts) than a 1997 variant I dumped (text was
fuzzy). Clogging, as you say, remains a weak spot though.
People advise never to go near the cheaper cartridges because
they'll clog up the heads so badly that Epson will have to send
somebody to replace them. That happened to me with my first
genuine Epson refill so I used cheap ink ever since and haven't
had a single problem. The ColorJet brand of ink doesn't seem
bad for photos either. Whenever it does clog up, I find
printing out a photo (100% coverage) at the highest quality is
better than running a cleaning cycle on the heads. And of
course, it's much cheaper to clean with cheap ink. The Epson
utilities for Linux give you a clear idea of the ink (percentage
wise) used by a standard cleaning cycle and it's nothing short
of scandalous! IIRC each of six inks decreased by 4-5%.
--
Lee J. Moore
http://cafe-society.com
Old September 19th 03, 07:56 PM
wwwild

I've had good luck with http://www.cartex.co.uk in Ireland for a couple of
Epsons (not your model, however), so I'm sure they would be fine on the
mainland too.

.. .