MB Advice

Old September 15th 03, 03:01 PM
David McCallum

Default MB Advice

Hi All

Decided to go for a Gigabyte MB with 4 IDE slots, capable of taking a 3G
Pentium IV, with as much RAM as possible.

Also a new full tower with a big power supply

Any advice on MB, supplier

TIA

David McCallum

Old September 16th 03, 12:58 AM
tHatDudeUK

"David McCallum" wrote in message
Hi All

Decided to go for a Gigabyte MB with 4 IDE slots, capable of taking a 3G
Pentium IV, with as much RAM as possible.

Also a new full tower with a big power supply

Any advice on MB, supplier

I'd suggest to avoid Gigabyte personally. However, I know little about their
Pentium 4 boards in all honesty (AMD user). You could possibly take a look
at the Abit P4 range.

As for a supplier..

CPU City (Just bought an Abit NF7-S v2.0 off them, good service and cheap
price.)
Komplett
Tekheads

to name a few...

Old September 16th 03, 11:37 AM
h2so4

http://www.vgicomputers.com do the gigabyte board you're after I believe,
however for that money you're much better off with the Intel D875PBZ. I
myself researched Intel systems for use at work and it came down to
Gigabyte or Intel - the Intel won out for better quality caps,
construction, stability and speed.

I have the Abit IC7-G that gets terrific reviews. However, after owning this
board for a couple of months I wish that I'd bought the Intel for the
reasons given above by Leon. In case you're tempted by the Abit, I'd suggest
you browse the fora on their website.
As far as I can tell, most of these reviews are written by enthusiastic
brand fans for whom a few hundred 3dBenchmarks are of more value than the
build quality and the support offered offered by their brand idols.

Old September 16th 03, 09:14 PM
James smyth

"h2so4" wrote in message
news

http://www.vgicomputers.com do the gigabyte board you're after I believe,
however for that money you're much better off with the Intel D875PBZ. I
myself researched Intel systems for use at work and it came down to
Gigabyte or Intel - the Intel won out for better quality caps,
construction, stability and speed.

I have the Abit IC7-G that gets terrific reviews. However, after owning this
board for a couple of months I wish that I'd bought the Intel for the
reasons given above by Leon. In case you're tempted by the Abit, I'd suggest
you browse the fora on their website.
As far as I can tell, most of these reviews are written by enthusiastic
brand fans for whom a few hundred 3dBenchmarks are of more value than the
build quality and the support offered offered by their brand idols.

Intel make the SLOWEST motherboards money can buy. Every mobo review website will
tell you that.

Old September 16th 03, 11:26 PM
Alex Butcher

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:01:46 +0100, David McCallum wrote:

Decided to go for a Gigabyte MB with 4 IDE slots, capable of taking a 3G
Pentium IV, with as much RAM as possible.

I've been happy with the two GA-8PE667 Ultra (i845PE-based, with Promise
PDC20276) boards I've been using for nearly a year. I would expect their
boards using the latest revisions of Intel's chipset (i865PE now, it seems)
to be similarly good.

Also a new full tower with a big power supply

Pass. I bought a couple of Codegen 9001 case
http://www.google.com/search?q=codegen+9001 for about 55GBP each from a
local bits shop (including a 300W PSU).

Any advice on MB, supplier
David McCallum

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK Need reliable and secure network systems?

Old September 17th 03, 10:25 AM
Bagpuss

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 20:14:23 GMT, "James smyth"
wrote:

"h2so4" wrote in message
news

[...]

I'd rather have a slower but stabel board that a flakey fast one.
Afterall you are only talking about a few percent overall performance
differnce. When running modern CPUs its not really noticable under
anything but really high loads or benchmarks.
--
This post does not reflect the opinions of all saggy cloth
cats be they a bit loose at the seams or not