SUPER BIG THANKS TO PAUL ! USB 3.0 PCI Express Controller working ! =D

Old November 16th 19, 04:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default SUPER BIG THANKS TO PAUL ! USB 3.0 PCI Express Controller working! =D

Fortunately somebody else, very intelligeable researched this problem already and posted about it:

Basically what he is saying/writing about is that some of these USB 3.0 PCI Express cards are designed to only work in 16x or 1x mode and not 8x mode as is the case with my current PC setup.

There is hope for me to solve this problem. When I changed the paddle card I had to remove the graphics card and I noticed this little black slot which looks like a pci express slot designed for mini graphics cards and indeed the motherboard manual says this is a PCI Express 1x slot.

So that is a very funny tiny little black slot, always wondered if I would ever use it.

Now the issue is the GT 1030 is a dual slot graphics card so it's covering this little slot when it's placed in the top 16x pci graphics slot.

I could move this graphics card to the other pci express graphics 8x slot.

Since sli mode probably runs in 8x 8x... this won't matter much.

And thus I could put the pci express card in the tiny little cute 1x slot.

I hope that won't have any bad effects on bandwidth though... for either graphics card or usb 3.0.

So far a single pci express slot should be able to offer: 250 MB/s

What I do worry about is what if I want to use multiple usb devices at same time ?

Currently 2 would be the limit... bandwidth wise if they both 120 mb/sec or so.

Currently I have no plans to use usb devices at same time, but I was kinda thinking about it... since it can go both ways.... upload/download... never tried that before with external drives, could be cool.

Anyway... not even sure if this usb 3.0 pci controller will fit in that little slot but I think so consulting manual:

Yes it says "single-lane (1x) pci express v 2.0.

It also supports hot-swap for usb devices so that is good to know.

The reason why I dont like placing the GT 1030 lower is:

It would be further away from the exhaust fans... and exhaust hole...

And closer to my creative labs soundblaster, which is still necessary for 7..1 surround sound... though there is also real-tek surround sound but would need special cables for it, and it's probably not as good... then again... who knows

I don't do any windows 7 updates... so I don't really need re-boot/shutdown options.

However for linux and other experiments it might get annoying if this shutdown issue is in linux as well which is kinda interesting to find out.

For now I don't consider this shutdown hang critical... then again... power cuts might hurt harddisks... especially if power button becomes shaky... and it suddenly flips back on...

The risk of power surges.... I dont like that idea.

Also my love for the soundblaster is slightly dwingling now that there are some alternatives... have toslink working... and creative drivers no longer working properly.

Plus system is very well cooled, so I think there is little risk to moving the graphics card down.

Was already thinking of it... cause it might make airflow better for GPU, since pci express controller obstructs it a little bit.

Fortunately the X-FI Elite Pro soundblaster 7.1 is a PCI card, so it can be moved to a different slot...

For example down... or perhaps even up... depending on how I want the airflow to be.

Probably down towards the power supply... though maybe then the power supply might get obstructed a bit.

If I place it near CPU... perhaps air flowing to GPU might be better or worse...

I have seen some GPU shrouds being used also on power supplies and/or above gpu's can't remember clearly... there form some kind of duct... so that is kinda weird.

For now the idea of power surges towards my harddisk is a very scary prospect.

So I will solve this situation soon.

Though today/saturday/the next day I am a bit lazy and need to give my body/back some rest from all the heavy PC lifting yesterday... definetly don't wanna hurt my back.

So for now I am taking it easy and relaxing... but maybe tomorrow or in a few days I will solve this situation.

I will also take a look at Paul's solution.

I will also post the original text of this guy who found this problem.

Apperently an electronics guy/spec reader or something.

He probably spent quite some time reading through the pci express spec and somehow found out these cards don't respect the spec...

I am not sure if I would have ever found or thought of that... maybe I kinda already suspected something fishy was going on with this product.

So once again this PC shop... is kinda selling bad products...

Everytime I buy something there there is something wrong with it... at least it's somewhat cheap ? Or are alternatives as expensive hmmm...

I might have to stop buying at that shop... cause every time it's pretty junky or problematic

Guy at shop don't really care... which is a little bit sad !

But at least it's there if there is no alternative or whatever and when I am in a rush and don't want to order on the internet.

No internet banking yet... might have to get that though, on special account hopefully isolated from rest, might talk to bank about that, they probably think I am crazy not sure though, time and energy needed for that

Then again if I had bought one on internet, maybe same problem

Bye for now,
Skybuck.
Old November 16th 19, 04:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Part 1, problem description:

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:45 AM

Hi folks,

I recently bought an Anker USB 3.0 2-Port PCI-E Express Card With 20-Pin Connector via Amazon (see here), and installed it on my home PC. It is attached to a pair of USB 3.0 connectors on the front of the PC via the 20-pin connector, and is receiving additional power via the usual 4-pin power connector. The PC in question is home-built, and major components being the following:

MSI P7N SLI Motherboard (MS-7380-030, NVidia 750i SLI chipset)
Intel Core2Quad Q9550 CPU (2.83 GHz)
4GB of G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 800 SDRAM
PNY GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCIE 3.0 x16 Video Card
SIIG DP FireWire 800 PCIe 1394b Adapter (NN-FW0012-S1)
Thermaltake Toughpower Cable Management 700W PSU (W01060RU)
Three SATA and one IDE hard disk (various WD units)
One SATA and one IDE optical drive (NEC and LG)
Two external FW800 hard disks (Iomega units)
Dell U2312HM LCD Monitor with integrated USB 2.0 hub

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, fully patched, with Malwarebytes Pro and Avast! Antivirus (Free) for system protection. My UPS (CyberPower PR1500LCD) indicates that I am in no danger of maxing out my PSU.

The problem I'm having is very simple: After the Anker USB 3.0 PCIE card is physically installed in my computer, using the newest drives from the Anker website (VIA 4.30A - already checked, nothing newer is available on the VIA website), Windows consistently hangs when shutting down. The screen indicates "Shutting Down...", the small circular icon animates for a bit, but within a minute or so the animation stops and the keyboard becomes non-responsive (can't light the NumLock, Caps Lock or Scroll Lock lights via keypress, no response with CTRL-ALT-DEL). I've left the machine in that state for hours and it does nothing more - the only solution is to manually shut down / reboot.

The problem persists even when nothing is plugged in to any of the USB ports associated with the Anker USB 3/0 PCI card. The problem goes away whenever the Anker USB 3.0 PCIE card is removed from the PCIE slot it's in (leaving the 4-pin power and 20-pin USB 3.0 front panel connectors attached). Finally, I am able to reproduce this behavior consistently - that is, I am able to hang Windows instantaneously - if I go to Device Manager and attempt to disable or uninstall the drives for the VIA USB eXtensile Host Controller (listed under USB Compliance (Host/Device) Controller), and also if I attempt to run USB 3.0 Command Verified from www.usb.org, here, as a means of troubleshooting what's going on:

http://www.usb.org/developers/tools/

I've already tried using msconfig to boot into diagnostic and safe modes with the hardware installed; the problem persists in both cases. The unit works fine otherwise, in that when it's installed, it recognizes my two USB 3..0 memory sticks with no issue and transfers files to and from them at the speeds one would expect without ever dropping connection. I attempted to downgrade to the VIA 4.00B driver for the chipset the Anker USB 3.0 PCIE card uses, but the installation never completes (though at least this does not hang Windows).

Normally I'm pretty good about doing my own troubleshooting - this is the first time in many years I've been unable to deal with an issue on my own - but in this case my research online does not identify anyone else with the same problem, much less a solution, and troubleshooting is not obvious given that I can't seem to touch the hardware without hanging Windows. At this point, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what's going on, and was hoping someone here might have some advice.

The one avenue of attack I am considering is finding a way to uninstall the drivers for the unit while it's not physically plugged in, since at that point this should not hang Windows. This is not something I've had to do in Windows 7 before, but I'm confident I'd find a way given enough research - at which point I could attempt to reproduce the problem with no drivers at all (if it still hangs, to me that would indicate a hardware issue) and also with the older VIA 4.00B drivers for the unit, available he

http://www.via-labs.com/en/support/downloads.jsp

That said, my fear is that it doesn't hang with no drivers but does with the VIA 4.00B drivers - at which point I've made no progress. I'm further concerned that, in addition, Windows 7 may not appreciate me manually removing drivers like that, and I may cause myself problems in attempting to do so.

Another thing I noted was that Device Manager indicates that the Anker USB 3.0 PCIE card has IRQ -6 (0xFFFFFFFA) to itself. PCIE boards should use message-signaled interrupts (MSIs) which are indicated via negative numbers in the Device Manager, so that seems OK. On the other hand, this is the only actual device directly using an MSI - the other four MSIs in use (IRQs -2 through -5) are all PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridges. Not sure if that matters or not.

The third thing I've noticed is that the Event Log is filled with paired warnings of this sort (Event 0, hcmon):

Detected unrecognized USB driver (\Driver\xhcdrv).

Detected unrecognized USB driver (\Driver\pci).

From my research, hcmon.sys should be associated with my install of VMWare Player, and is VMWare's USB monitoring tool. Likewise, "\Driver\xhcdrv" clearly refers to USB 3.0 (XHCI) hardare, which can only mean the Anker USB 3.0 PCIE board. This may very well be that this is simply because VMWare Player doesn't play nice with USB 3.0 hardware in general, however. Would not expect that to hang the system, but just in case, I uninstalled VMWare Player. Sad to say, this did not solve the problem.

In the meantime, I'd appreciate any addtional advice / assistance here. I'm honestly not sure whether this is a case of bad hardware, a driver issue, or something else entirely, and have contacted Anker support as well in parallel to this post, though it remains to be seen whether I'll be speaking with someone with enough experience to tell me something I don't already know (perhaps I'm too cynical, and nothing against Anker in particular, but my hopes are not high).

Thanks in advance,

Arc_Light
Old November 16th 19, 04:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Part 2, Solution: use pci express 1x slot if available.

"

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:29 AM

Hi folks,

Don't everyone reply at once...

But seriously, as a follow-up to my post, I've discovered the problem.

Long story short, this USB 3.0 card does not fully comply with the PCI Express specifications. To be fair to them, Anker indicates that it works in PCI-E x1 and x16 slots. What they do not indicate is that it does *not* work in other types of PCI-E slots, even though the specification is very clear on the fact that up-plugging should always work - if the board physically fits, in other words, it's supposed to function. My board has one PCI-E x16 slot and two PCI-E x8 slots. The Anker USB 3.0 board plugged in to one of the latter PCI-E x8 slots, is, as far as I can tell, the issue. Since my display adapter is a PCI-E x16 card, however, there's not much I can do about this. They've been kind enough to offer to RMA the unit - minus a handling fee and my cost to ship it - but, since it was under $20 to start with, this is more or less useless as a practical solution, so I'll probably just keep it and install it on another machine.

Given this experience, I would urge anyone thinking about a USB 3.0 upgrade to beware. From reading the specifications of a number of these same sorts of cards, I am now of the opinion that Anker is far from alone, and that there are a number of cheap USB 3.0 PCI-E cards out there that do not fully meet the PCI-E specification. This is stupid - why have a standard if you're not going to follow it? - but I suspect that this doesn't get the attention it might because PCI-E x2, x4 and x8 slots are relatively rare compared to x1 and x16 slots. I've suggested to Anker support that they clearly state what types of slots their card does and does not work in, as one or two vendors have already done, so that, at a minimum, no one mistakenly assumes that they've followed the PCI-E standards when designing their hardware (where's the fun in that, right?) - we'll see if it does any good.

In the meantime, I'm off to buy a USB 3.0 card designed by someone who can read...

Arc_Light
"

Seems like he might have spent 10 days on this trying to find the problem.

So this guy might have saved me 10 days of my life !

Thanks Arc_Light ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck =D
Old November 16th 19, 04:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 3:55:42 PM UTC+1, Paul wrote:
wrote:
OK, Cool story about the paddle re-directing bandwidth ?!

All seems fine for now.

I can't really check this story... verify it... so it stays vague for now.

However I FORGOT to mention which exact product I bought, it was this one:

https://www.raidsonic.de/en/standard..._objectID=1202

"
ICY BOX
IB-AC614a
USB 3.0 PCI-E Expansion Card with 4x USB 3.0 port

Features

• PCI Express Single-lane (x1) Revision 2.0
• USB 3.0 transfer rate up to 5 Gbit/s
• Supports simultaneous operation of 4x USB 3.0 devices
• Max. 5 V / 900 mA power output to each USB 3.0 Port
• 4-pin Molex power connector for extra power
• Operating systems: Windows 7 / 8 / 8.x
"

I connected the molex power connector cause I saw other people do it on youtube, manual does not mention that it's necessary, website does mention to connect it if devices need more power.

Since initially it wasn't working cause of paddle, and also I don't wanna risk slow transfer speeds, I decided to connect it, so far nothing blew up (yet ) !

Drivers have to be downloaded from a different part of this website:

https://www.raidsonic.de/en/driver_2...r_index_en.php

I downloaded this one:

https://www.raidsonic.de/products/do....7600.3105.zip

(It doesn't mention the little a in the model name... so:

IB-AC614
vs
IB-AC614a

But I'd figure this driver is for the same models.

So far it's working which is nice.

However there is a windows 7 shutdown problem.

Now my windows 7 installation acts weird from time to time and has some weird issues sometimes, some things work very well, and boot and shutdown issues apperently is now back.

I have a whacky hypothesis about this:

1. I checked the motherboard manual, it means APIC mode... not sure what APIC is will google that later.

2. I flashed the motherboard BIOS to a new BIOS version to enable 4 GB ram support.

3. My hypothesis is that the new BIOS firmware REMOVED the APIC feature and this might be causing boot issues and shutdown issues.

4. APIC mode is apperently default off in this newer BIOS. And this might be the cause of issues.

It might also be unrelated to this new shutdown issue.

So sometimes this particularly system has a 10 minute boot time... and the shutdown time seems to be infinite... tried this last night...

Fortunately I haven't seen the 10 minute boot time in a while...

Might also be temperature related or electricity related or anything really, maybe daemon tools server down for verifieing software version.

This is what I start disliking about windows.

There is absolutely no helpfull information during the boot or shutdown process... just some beautifull screen to look at but nothing more.

Yes there is some info if windows is put into safemode or debug mode.

But it pales in comparision to linux. Linux has HUGE ammounts of information during boot and shutdown process. MUCH BETTER for diagnosing problems..

It was LINUX who detected this APIC issue, not WINDOWS.

So windows is now on the losing side of things.

A WAKE UP CALL for Microsoft to do better at the logging/debugging front

It should not require special tools or special software to debug windows... so this kinda sucks right now.

It should also be easy to enable without requiring weird settings stucked away somewhere in msconfig or boot configuration files or whatever not. Kinda annoying.

Maybe it should even be default, maybe I would prefer that... yeah probably... the boot screen of windows is pretty dead anyway

Bye,
Skybuck.

Hardware is VIA VL805.

I got a driver here, purely to dump some names, not
to install it or anything.

https://us.softpedia-secure-download..._V4.70C_AP.zip

I used an Inno Unpacker to list the filenames.

L:\innounp.exe -t VIA_XHCI_Driver_V4.70C_AP.exe
; Version detected: 5500 (Unicode)
#0 {tmp}\dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe
Reading slice L:\VIA_XHCI_Driver_V4.70C_AP.exe
#1 {tmp}\USetup\0x0409.ini
#2 {tmp}\USetup\165x300.bmp
#3 {tmp}\USetup\500x60.bmp
#4 {tmp}\USetup\asia.slf
#5 {tmp}\USetup\english.slf
#6 {tmp}\USetup\europe1.slf
#7 {tmp}\USetup\europe2.slf
#8 {tmp}\USetup\europe3.slf
#9 {tmp}\USetup\europe4.slf
#10 {tmp}\USetup\instmsia.exe
#11 {tmp}\USetup\instmsiw.exe
#12 {tmp}\USetup\isscript.msi
#13 {tmp}\USetup\LICENSE.MLF
#14 {tmp}\USetup\Platform.msi
#15 {tmp}\USetup\setup.exe
#16 {tmp}\USetup\Setup.ini
#17 {tmp}\USetup\Setup.iss
#18 {tmp}\USetup\SETUP.MLF
#19 {tmp}\USetup\SETUP.SCF
#20 {tmp}\USetup\VIAPCI.sys
#21 {tmp}\USetup\viasetup.dll
#22 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\component.cif
#23 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\xHCInstall.dll
#24 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\xHCX64Install.exe
#25 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\UAS_Client\WHQL\7_x64\vusbstor.ca t
#26 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\UAS_Client\WHQL\7_x86\vusbstor.ca t
#27 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\UAS_Client\WHQL\81_x64\vusbstor.c at
#28 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\UAS_Client\WHQL\81_x86\vusbstor.c at
#29 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\UAS_Client\WHQL\8_x64\vusbstor.ca t
#30 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\UAS_Client\WHQL\8_x86\vusbstor.ca t
#31 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\UAS_Client\WHQL\Vista_x64\vusbsto r.cat
#32 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\UAS_Client\WHQL\Vista_x86\vusbsto r.cat
#33 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\UAS_Client\x64\vusbstor,1.cat
#34 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\UAS_Client\x64\vusbstor.inf
#35 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\UAS_Client\x64\vusbstor.sys
#36 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\UAS_Client\x64\WdfCoInstaller0100 9.dll
#37 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\UAS_Client\x86\vusbstor,1.cat
#38 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\UAS_Client\x86\vusbstor.inf
#39 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\UAS_Client\x86\vusbstor.sys
#40 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\UAS_Client\x86\WdfCoInstaller0100 9.dll
#41 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\Utility\Language.ini
#42 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\Utility\usb3Monitor.exe === this is your USB monitor
#43 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\Utility\x64\devctrl.dll
#44 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\Utility\x64\mfc100u.dll
#45 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\Utility\x64\msvcr100.dll
#46 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\Utility\x64\VLIUASPCtrl.exe
#47 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\Utility\x64\WPFUASCtrl.dll
#48 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\Utility\x86\devctrl.dll
#49 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\Utility\x86\mfc100u.dll
#50 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\Utility\x86\msvcr100.dll
#51 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\Utility\x86\VLIUASPCtrl.exe
#52 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\Utility\x86\WPFUASCtrl.dll
#53 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\VISTA\x64\viahub3.cat
#54 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\VISTA\x64\ViaHub3.inf
#55 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\VISTA\x64\ViaHub3.sys
#56 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\VISTA\x64\WdfCoInstaller01011.dll
#57 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\VISTA\x64\xhcdrv.cat
#58 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\VISTA\x64\xhcdrv.inf
#59 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\VISTA\x64\xhcdrv.sys
#60 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\VISTA\x86\viahub3.cat
#61 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\VISTA\x86\ViaHub3.inf
#62 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\VISTA\x86\ViaHub3.sys
#63 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\VISTA\x86\WdfCoInstaller01011.dll
#64 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\VISTA\x86\xhcdrv.cat
#65 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\VISTA\x86\xhcdrv.inf
#66 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\VISTA\x86\xhcdrv.sys
#67 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN7\x64\viahub3.cat
#68 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN7\x64\ViaHub3.inf
#69 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN7\x64\ViaHub3.sys
#70 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN7\x64\WdfCoInstaller01011.dll
#71 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN7\x64\xhcdrv.cat
#72 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN7\x64\xhcdrv.inf
#73 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN7\x64\xhcdrv.sys
#74 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN7\x86\viahub3.cat
#75 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN7\x86\ViaHub3.inf
#76 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN7\x86\ViaHub3.sys
#77 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN7\x86\WdfCoInstaller01011.dll
#78 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN7\x86\xhcdrv.cat
#79 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN7\x86\xhcdrv.inf
#80 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN7\x86\xhcdrv.sys
#81 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN8\x64\viahub3.cat
#82 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN8\x64\ViaHub3.inf
#83 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN8\x64\ViaHub3.sys
#84 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN8\x64\WdfCoInstaller01011.dll
#85 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN8\x64\xhcdrv.cat
#86 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN8\x64\xhcdrv.inf
#87 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN8\x64\xhcdrv.sys
#88 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN8\x86\viahub3.cat
#89 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN8\x86\ViaHub3.inf
#90 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN8\x86\ViaHub3.sys
#91 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN8\x86\WdfCoInstaller01011.dll
#92 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN8\x86\xhcdrv.cat
#93 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN8\x86\xhcdrv.inf
#94 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN8\x86\xhcdrv.sys
#95 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN81\x64\viahub3.cat
#96 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN81\x64\ViaHub3.inf
#97 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN81\x64\ViaHub3.sys
#98 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN81\x64\WdfCoInstaller01011.dll
#99 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN81\x64\xhcdrv.cat
#100 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN81\x64\xhcdrv.inf
#101 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN81\x64\xhcdrv.sys
#102 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN81\x86\viahub3.cat
#103 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN81\x86\ViaHub3.inf
#104 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN81\x86\ViaHub3.sys
#105 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN81\x86\WdfCoInstaller01011.dll
#106 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN81\x86\xhcdrv.cat
#107 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN81\x86\xhcdrv.inf
#108 {tmp}\USetup\xhc\WIN81\x86\xhcdrv.sys
#115 install_script.iss

So you'd try disabling the Run key for usb3Monitor.exe
and see if the OS shuts down faster.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I think it might be a hardware issue, see my other postings about this.

According to Arc_Light some of these USB 3.0 PCI Express controllers might not follow the official PCI Express standard and are designed to only work in PCI Express 1x slots.

I can try move it to one and see if it makes a difference.

I will probably do so in the coming days, I want some rest first

Bye,
Skybuck =D

P.S.: To Be Continued =D
Old November 16th 19, 05:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

(Most likely problem is a hardware one, see below)

It could be an open registry hive.

? So you mean I should close "hives" with regedit ? Never heard of such a thing/problem.

Windows 7 should have a built-in copy of UPHClean
(User Profile Hive Cleanup Service) for that.

Hmmm some external software tool ?

But why that would happen out of the blue, that
doesn't add up.

Yup.

*******

If it isn't that, it could be that your new USB3 card
has a "service" which is running, it's a monitor service
and it puts up the message "this device could run faster
if plugged into a USB3 port". That's about all I can think
of, in terms of the recent change to your system.

I am pretty ANAL about services, I don't wanna any unnecessary services running.

There are no additional services running then before I bought the thing so that's a relief

You'll
need to track down branding information for your USB3 chip.
If this is Windows 7, Vista, or WinXP, then those need
driver software installed, and that kind of service
would be part of the install. You could try disabling
that service, but first you have to find it.

No additional service required.

To find that service on my machine, I had to use Sysinternals
Process Monitor, plug a USB3 stick into a USB2 port, and
I could see activity coming from "rusb3mon.exe" in my
ProcMon trace. And there is a Run key to start that when
the computer boots - I looked in regedit to find it. This
is how the EXE gets launched. Autoruns might list a thing
like that, and give an "easy tick box" to disable it
for a test run.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run
RUSB3MON REG_SZ "C:\Program Files\Renesas Electronics\USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver\Application\rusb3mon.exe"

It's possible the equivalent of that on your machine,
is preventing shutdown (for 15 seconds).

Hmm don't think so but I will look into it... this sounds kinda odd... but could just be a monitoring service to launch stuff automatically it can probably be shutdown on your system somehow.

I tried looking in C:\WINDOWS\inf at the INF files, but
they make no mention of this monitor program and how
it launches. I had to find it the hard way, with Procmon.exe.

So the theory would be, that whatever brand of USB3 chip
you've got, maybe there is a problem with the equivalent
of that program. OSes like Win8 or Win10 don't need
third party software for that.

It's more likely something much more strange, like a hardware problem because windows is also pretty ANAL about shutdown it will just terminate everything, so thinking this is a software issue is a bit strange but ok... windows can act strange, but my hunch was already with the pci express thing

Repeating part of my post he

Old November 17th 19, 12:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

I switched the graphics card and the USB 3.0 PCI Express controller, the latter is now in the PCI Express 1.0 slot.

However it doesn't show up in windows 7, at least the driver says it's not detected.

So I fear I will have to again "operate" on my computer and have to swap the SLI/Normal paddle card back as it was.

Perhaps the 1x slot is disabled in SLI mode... that would make sense lol.

Cause 8x8 then no more room for 1x slot.

WOW...

The computer can not shutdown properly again.

(Problem with console i/o for creative labs soundblaster remains... the blueish gui is broken, but that is a driver issue... the rest seems to work ok... thx console and such... probably already worked.

I guess I have to do one more final/risky operation on my computer to get everything working
)

Also I had to detach all power cables, cause computer wouldn't be... it seem to get stuck after harddisk detection.

I AM NOW 100% CONVINCED THAT STATIC ELECTRICITY FROM MY COMPUTER CHAIR TRAVELS THROUGH MY BODY ONTO ELECTRONIC CIRCUITS AND CAUSES ALL KINDS OF WEIRD COMPUTER ISSUES.

SINCE COMPUTER IS NOT GROUNDED, ALL POWER CABLES MUST BE DETACHED AFTER WORKING ON THE COMPUTER TO LET ALL ELECTRICITY FLOW OUT OF IT =D

AFTER THAT EVERYTHING WORKED FINE AGAIN.

NOTE TO MYSELF: POWER FAN CABLE TO ALL FANS IS A LITTLE BIT SHADY... TUCKING IT IN CAUSES FANS TO WORK AGAIN.

SO THE FANS FAILURE WAS RELATED TO CONNECTOR SLIGHTLY LOOSE.

BOOT ISSUE IS OF ELETRICICAL PROBLEM/STATIC ELECTRICITY IS MOST LIKELY CAUSE =D

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

FINGERS CROSSED I DONT BREAK ANYTHING.

I decided to clean one of the back plate thingies... that goes into empty pci slots... while placing it back I bended something... little pin that goes into it... fortunately didnt break and i noticed it in time...

So it's real easy to break stuff lol.

Now I have to get the graphics card out again... and since it was placed in new pci express slot there is this plastic thing again that I will have to press... and it's quite old and probably brittle because of heat...

I am probably going to break it off ! LOL. but it's not really needed, at least not for this graphics card !

Dont worry I have gotten used to be very carefull... but still.... we humans so powerfull and these computers so fraggile.

I hope threadripper 3 is build like a tank... but there are probably some weak parts in there too !

Bye,
Skybuck =D
Old November 17th 19, 01:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

UNFORTUNATELY PCI EXPRESS 16X AND PCI EXPRESS 1X SLOTS IS NOT POSSIBLE.

THE GRAPHICS CARD MUST GO INTO TOP SLOT FOR "NORMAL MODE" AND THUS BLOCKS SLOT 1X.

Link to folder:

http://www.skybuck.org/Hardware/DreamPC2006/

Link to pictu

Part 1:

http://www.skybuck.org/Hardware/Drea...0the%20top.JPG

THIS IS VERY UNFORTUNATE.

THUS SLI MODE IS NECESSARY TO GET THIS USB CONTROLLER WORKING BY PLACING IT INSTEAD IN A 16X OR 8X SLOT.

Part 2:

http://www.skybuck.org/Hardware/Drea...ightHel p.JPG

SEE PICTURES.

ANYWAY WHILE LYING IN BED SOAKING UP MY SADNESS I MIGHT HAVE COME UP WITH A SOLUTION IF I NEED SHUTDOWN WORKING FOR PROLONGED PERIODS OF TIME.

IT'S PROBABLY POSSIBLE TO DISABLE THIS USB CONTROLLER IN WINDOWS 7.

MAYBE THIS WILL ALLOW PROPER SHUTDOWN.

I WILL TRY THIS NOW/SOON TO SEE IF THAT IS A WORK-AROUND SOLUTION.

Also I kinda like this new setup.

It gives much more air to the graphics card, from both fans below.

The graphics card is a little bit further away from CPU which might increase latency slightly... but this is probably mostly for loading purposes.

It's also further away from CPU which might make things run a bit cooler over there especially in summer.

Also the tiny heatsink near north or was it south bridge controller is a little bit more exposed... and it's heat will not go into the graphics card but past/over it.. so that seems nice.

So I am going to go with this setup for a while and see how that goes !

Enjoy the pictures, though picture 2 seems turned/rotated ? Wow sorry for that but ok.

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

P.S.: Sint Nicolas and Blackface just went by ! LOL... That made my day ! LOL.

BYE ZWARTE PIET DAG DAG DAG ZWARTE PIET LOL. TOET TOET ! =D
Old November 17th 19, 01:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

I did an experiment... I tried to disable these usb hub controllers.

This was a bad idea, it will make the system freeze/hang which is kinda logical... causing disabling is probably the same what windows does when it shuts down.

I am glad I did this test, because I had nothing important running.

I am a little bit ****ed at Regenboog Heerlen for selling another shady product...

But ok, not entirely their fault... if slot 1x was useable... maybe it would have worked.

But for now I will not be able to find out if this product actually works in slot 1x.

Maybe in the far future if NVIDIA ever releases a single slot graphics card more powerfull than GT 1030, maybe I will replace the GT 1030 to solve the slot 1 issue.

For now I also blame this on nvidia for not sticking to single slot coolers HAHA.

Another NVIDIA induced cooling problem.

Before I go I will take a look at picture of the old motherboards that fried and eletrocuted to pieces to see if they could have handled them... I miss them and regret they died lol.

Yeah other boards could have worked.

Not sure if my skydrive is still online... maybe it expired and Microsoft deleted it.

Maybe I re-upload my DreamPC pictures sometime... for now it's stored in websites.vhd on my local drive !

Quite funny and interesting to look at how it was back then.

Anyway I am done with this for now.

I guess I will have to live a little bit longer with a computer which can't shutdown properly... hopefully it will not lead to to many issues.

Now one thing left to do is get 7.1 surround sound working again, probably need to re-install a single driver... cause right now it's stuck in 3.1 surround sound.

OH that is interesting, it's no longer stuck in 3.1 mode, 7.1 seems to be working again, only have to swap left channel with subwoofer channel as usual in thx setup and then it's good to go for creative labs soundblaster.

I have two explanations for this:

1. Either the soundblaser driver installment which was automatic from last boot, needed a re-boot, though it did not indicate this. This is a very real possibility.

2. Or the slot 1x might have prevented the soundblaster from working in 7.1 mode.

For now I think it's probably cause 1. A reboot was required.

Though I think I did reboot for graphics driver... so maybe it was already re-boot, or maybe I forgot to re-test the sound after reboot.

I do remember the creative labs drivers need multiple reboots for proper installment, that might also have something to do with it.

Bye for now,
Skybuck.
Old November 17th 19, 01:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

WOW this is quite amazing, the fun never stops.

So after all is done, hardware now back in sli mode, auto-driver reinstallment by windows.

7.1 working in windows audio test.

Now comes the funny part:

THX Setup/console is actually stuck in 3.1 mode ! HAHA.

So this is quite amazing this disparity.

Well what is most important is that game sound works in 7.1 mode.

Though it's kinda strange how THX is now stuck in 3.1

Might have to re-install driver, this does cast doubts on if game is actually capable of using 7.1...

It depends on which API it uses... if it uses same API as thx console then maybe not... so this is quite strange.

Anyway I am not going to jinx to much with drivers right now... just gonna swap channels and do a bit of gaming to see what it's like !

Bye for now,
Skybuck.
Old November 17th 19, 02:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Kinda interesting what windows 7 does he

I set subwoofer to disabled in configure speakers cause it's not present.

Set the rest to full range speakers.

(Also re-arrange the left/subwoofer channel with thx setup)

I have a 7.1 test file... and windows 7 plays the low frequency channel/subwoofer channel through front/central speakers or so...

So this is kinda cool... this way the front speakers can also function a little bit as subwoofers... Microsoft has pretty awesome audio solution right now !

Some day I will boot windows xp on this computer and test battlefield 2, to see if it sounds better on windows xp audio stack or same as windows 7 audio stack.

I think windows xp might sound a bit better....

Hmmm maybe I should not give that 8 euro stick with pictures to my brother and re-use it as windows xp OS operating system.

Yes I will do that instead for now... maybe later I give him a stick with pictures... he don't really seem interested in those pictures... not really a big deal for him... though I kinda wanna give it to him as a present... hmmm... decisions...

I really want to experiment with operating systems... that's what I bought this stick... not to give him a present... though the write speed is so abysmal... at 10 mb/sec...

But enough for windows xp experiments... then again.

Maybe I should not **** myself over... with frustratingly slow usb sticks...

With new usb stick it will be 3x times faster... not that super fast... but ok.

However if I burn via pci express controller it will be 12 times faster...

So it definetly worth to wait with windows xp experiments until I have a new usb stick which is much faster !

So I have just decided to give this 8 euro usb stick to my brother... and get the **** rid of it ! LOL.

To save myself from wasting time on this stick ! LOL.

Ofcourse I will tell my brother about the slow write speed on this stick... but he probably won't mind much... maybe he be happy with it.

I formatted it to ex-fat32 so it will work on his mac... and can use big files too.

Wish I could have formatted it for his mac computer or something.

Not sure if his mac will support ex-fat32... but if it's somewhat recent it should !

I definetly curious about if it will work, so I will tell him to phone me up to let me know results otherwise I will reformat it as fat32 !

Can't believe such an old file system is the only compatible thing between these two operating systems but ok.

There are some drivers for macs to support the much better ntfs... but he no computer wizard !

I am also amazed windows 7 does not support ext4 partition reading.

Quite strange.

Will be interesting to find out if windows 10 can do it ?!

Bye for now,
Skybuck.