Windows 10 on AMD X2 3800+ ?

Old November 2nd 19, 07:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Default Windows 10 on AMD X2 3800+ ?

wrote:
Hello,

I used WinToUSB to install Windows 10 on a 128 USB/Flash stick.

Windows 10 ISO used was:

en_windows_10_core_10240_x64_dvd.iso

(UnOfficial RTM)

During boot windows 10 hangs and a blue windows logo can be seen.

Nothing else happens. I waited for 45 mins or so before resetting this PC.

I then proceeded to complete the installation on a Toshiba L670 laptop.

And it installed beautifull and worked beautifull.

I then tried the same USB stick in an older laptop with iCore 3

This is an HP ProBook 4520s.

Here Windows 10 also works beautifull though a bit slower.

So after installation I tried the PC again and it seems like it hangs.

Perhaps I should wait a bit longer, but the circles indicating loading do not display. display should be larger enough to show them, so for now my conclusion is that for some reason Windows 10 hangs during boot on Winfast motherboard with AMD X2 3800+ processor ?!

Now I have two questions:

1. Has anybody successfully booted Windows 10 on an AMD X2 3800+ processor ?

2. Why does Windows 10 not boot and hang on this processor ?

Possible answers could be:

2.1 Missing instructions in processor.

2.2 Purposely build in blockade (read something about that long ago)

2.3 Some other strange issue.

2.4 Perhaps a newer ISO has a "fixed" Windows 10 software that might work ?

My Ultimate goal is to get Starwars Battlefront 2 working on this old PC, so you can see I am very keen on getting this working.

So far this game failed to launch on both laptops. Claiming RADEON drivers version 0.0.0 bug on Windows 7.

On windows 10 on toshiba this game simply crashes back to desktop without any errors.

I am kinda hoping this old game might work on AMD X2 3800+ system cause it has an NVIDIA GT 1030 graphics card.

Doom (reboot from 2016) for example did work to my amazement. (Installed it on an external usb harddisk 4.5 tb from seagate, quite cool).

My tips for USB harddisks:

1. Enable write-cache.

2. Format to NTFS (exfat is crap driver/software/slow/freezes needs to allocate files completely when torrenting).

3. Find the fastest USB port on the computer by performing disk benchmark tests to test USB speed/connectivity limitations.

Fortunately all laptops seem to have 3 usb ports, so it's possible to have:

1. mouse attached
2. usb/stick with windows 10 attached.
3. usb harddisk with 4.5 tb attached.

Never thought I would need some many usb ports

Bye,
Skybuck.

These are examples of hardware features needed for a
Windows 8.1 or a Windows 10 install today.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sys...loads/coreinfo

NX * Supports no-execute page protection
PAE * Supports 32-bit physical addresses
SSE2 * Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions 2
CX16 * Supports CMPXCHG16B instruction
LAHF-SAHF * Supports LAHF/SAHF instructions in 64-bit mode
PREFETCHW * Supports PREFETCHW instruction

Using the "coreinfo.exe" program, you can check.

Paul
Old November 2nd 19, 07:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

I tried this ****ty download tool from Microsoft... also called Media Creation Tool.

And I had A VERY BAD FEELING ABOUT.

And now I know why.

BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY MICROSOFT ONLY HAS THE LATEST AND GREATEST PC'S.

So they don't test their **** anymore on OLD SYSTEMS AND THUS IT CAN NEVER EVER WORK BECAUSE OF MOORE LAWS.

THEY SHOULD KNOW BETTER.

The error message when booting from usb stick was:

INVALID PARTITION TABLE.

Even after doing control-alt-delete and removing usb stick half and then fully..

It kept saying this message during reboots.

At some points I get really scared and concerned and thought this ****ing download tool might have killed of my main paritions on my main drives.... just to try and force me to install something new.

This scare convinced me I should not continue like this and from now on proceed from laptop to write to usb stick... to prevent damage or **** ups to my main system.

Just to give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt.

The USB Stick does work on the laptop...

So it works partially.

For some reason it doesn't work on the much older system.

Hence my point above is now fully proven.

I'll see if I can at least go through with the windows 10 installation on laptop to usb stick... but it probably won't boot on old system...

Unless parition is re-written which it will probably not to...

Quite strange.

I have a feeling I will need to give Linux a try to get this work ?!?

Maybe linux has same boot problems though... not sure.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old November 2nd 19, 07:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Saturday, November 2, 2019 at 8:28:15 PM UTC+1, Paul wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Not so sure this is true Paul... there are postings on internet that CX16 requirement is no longer required for windows 10 ?!

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old November 2nd 19, 07:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

wrote:
[...]

Ok I already had this tool installed by forgot about it, I think it was to check something with logical cores or just for the fun of it. But now I see it displays a lot more, could be interesting to post this to the internet:

Way below I will paste all

Here I will cut and paste the things you mentioned:

NX * Supports no-execute page protection
PAE * Supports 32-bit physical addresses
SSE2 * Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions 2
LAHF-SAHF * Supports LAHF/SAHF instructions in 64-bit mode
PREFETCHW * Supports PREFETCHW instruction

What is missing is:

CX16

But I think you might be wrong about that !

It might have been like that at first but this requirement was removed later ?!

Here the supported:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
AMD64 Family 15 Model 43 Stepping 1, AuthenticAMD
HTT * Multicore
X64 * Supports 64-bit mode
NX * Supports no-execute page protection
PAE * Supports 32-bit physical addresses
PAT * Supports Page Attribute Table
PSE * Supports 4 MB pages
PSE36 * Supports 32-bit address 4 MB pages
PGE * Supports global bit in page tables
VME * Supports Virtual-8086 mode
FPU * Implements i387 floating point instructions
MMX * Supports MMX instruction set
MMXEXT * Implements AMD MMX extensions
3DNOW * Supports 3DNow! instructions
3DNOWEXT * Supports 3DNow! extension instructions
SSE * Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions
SSE2 * Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions 2
SSE3 * Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions 3
MSR * Implements RDMSR/WRMSR instructions
MTRR * Supports Memory Type Range Registers
CMOV * Supports CMOVcc instruction
CLFSH * Supports CLFLUSH instruction
CX8 * Supports compare and exchange 8-byte instructions
FXSR * Supports FXSAVE/FXSTOR instructions
FFXSR * Supports optimized FXSAVE/FSRSTOR instruction
SEP * Supports fast system call instructions
LAHF-SAHF * Supports LAHF/SAHF instructions in 64-bit mode
DE * Supports I/O breakpoints including CR4.DE
TSC * Supports RDTSC instruction
APIC * Implements software-accessible local APIC
MCE * Supports Machine Check, INT18 and CR4.MCE
MCA * Implements Machine Check Architecture
PREFETCHW * Supports PREFETCHW instruction

Here the all:

C:\Tools\CoreInfocoreinfo

Coreinfo v3.31 - Dump information on system CPU and memory topology
Copyright (C) 2008-2014 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
AMD64 Family 15 Model 43 Stepping 1, AuthenticAMD
HTT * Multicore
HYPERVISOR - Hypervisor is present
VMX - Supports Intel hardware-assisted virtualization
SVM - Supports AMD hardware-assisted virtualization
X64 * Supports 64-bit mode

SMX - Supports Intel trusted execution
SKINIT - Supports AMD SKINIT

NX * Supports no-execute page protection
SMEP - Supports Supervisor Mode Execution Prevention
SMAP - Supports Supervisor Mode Access Prevention
PAGE1GB - Supports 1 GB large pages
PAE * Supports 32-bit physical addresses
PAT * Supports Page Attribute Table
PSE * Supports 4 MB pages
PSE36 * Supports 32-bit address 4 MB pages
PGE * Supports global bit in page tables
SS - Supports bus snooping for cache operations
VME * Supports Virtual-8086 mode
RDWRFSGSBASE - Supports direct GS/FS base access

FPU * Implements i387 floating point instructions
MMX * Supports MMX instruction set
MMXEXT * Implements AMD MMX extensions
3DNOW * Supports 3DNow! instructions
3DNOWEXT * Supports 3DNow! extension instructions
SSE * Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions
SSE2 * Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions 2
SSE3 * Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions 3
SSSE3 - Supports Supplemental SIMD Extensions 3
SSE4a - Supports Streaming SIMDR Extensions 4a
SSE4.1 - Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions 4.1
SSE4.2 - Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions 4.2

AES - Supports AES extensions
AVX - Supports AVX intruction extensions
FMA - Supports FMA extensions using YMM state
MSR * Implements RDMSR/WRMSR instructions
MTRR * Supports Memory Type Range Registers
XSAVE - Supports XSAVE/XRSTOR instructions
OSXSAVE - Supports XSETBV/XGETBV instructions
RDRAND - Supports RDRAND instruction
RDSEED - Supports RDSEED instruction

CMOV * Supports CMOVcc instruction
CLFSH * Supports CLFLUSH instruction
CX8 * Supports compare and exchange 8-byte instructions
CX16 - Supports CMPXCHG16B instruction
BMI1 - Supports bit manipulation extensions 1
BMI2 - Supports bit manipulation extensions 2
ADX - Supports ADCX/ADOX instructions
DCA - Supports prefetch from memory-mapped device
F16C - Supports half-precision instruction
FXSR * Supports FXSAVE/FXSTOR instructions
FFXSR * Supports optimized FXSAVE/FSRSTOR instruction
MONITOR - Supports MONITOR and MWAIT instructions
MOVBE - Supports MOVBE instruction
ERMSB - Supports Enhanced REP MOVSB/STOSB
PCLMULDQ - Supports PCLMULDQ instruction
POPCNT - Supports POPCNT instruction
LZCNT - Supports LZCNT instruction
SEP * Supports fast system call instructions
LAHF-SAHF * Supports LAHF/SAHF instructions in 64-bit mode
HLE - Supports Hardware Lock Elision instructions
RTM - Supports Restricted Transactional Memory instructions

DE * Supports I/O breakpoints including CR4.DE
DTES64 - Can write history of 64-bit branch addresses
DS - Implements memory-resident debug buffer
DS-CPL - Supports Debug Store feature with CPL
PCID - Supports PCIDs and settable CR4.PCIDE
INVPCID - Supports INVPCID instruction
PDCM - Supports Performance Capabilities MSR
RDTSCP - Supports RDTSCP instruction
TSC * Supports RDTSC instruction
TSC-DEADLINE - Local APIC supports one-shot deadline timer
TSC-INVARIANT - TSC runs at constant rate
xTPR - Supports disabling task priority messages

EIST - Supports Enhanced Intel Speedstep
ACPI - Implements MSR for power management
TM - Implements thermal monitor circuitry
TM2 - Implements Thermal Monitor 2 control
APIC * Implements software-accessible local APIC
x2APIC - Supports x2APIC

CNXT-ID - L1 data cache mode adaptive or BIOS

MCE * Supports Machine Check, INT18 and CR4.MCE
MCA * Implements Machine Check Architecture
PBE - Supports use of FERR#/PBE# pin

PSN - Implements 96-bit processor serial number

PREFETCHW * Supports PREFETCHW instruction

Maximum implemented CPUID leaves: 00000001 (Basic), 80000018 (Extended).

Logical to Physical Processor Map:
*- Physical Processor 0
-* Physical Processor 1

Logical Processor to Socket Map:
** Socket 0

Logical Processor to NUMA Node Map:
** NUMA Node 0

No NUMA nodes.

Logical Processor to Cache Map:
*- Data Cache 0, Level 1, 64 KB, Assoc 2, LineSize 64
*- Instruction Cache 0, Level 1, 64 KB, Assoc 2, LineSize 64
*- Unified Cache 0, Level 2, 512 KB, Assoc 16, LineSize 64
-* Data Cache 1, Level 1, 64 KB, Assoc 2, LineSize 64
-* Instruction Cache 1, Level 1, 64 KB, Assoc 2, LineSize 64
-* Unified Cache 1, Level 2, 512 KB, Assoc 16, LineSize 64

Logical Processor to Group Map:
** Group 0

C:\Tools\CoreInfo

What's nice about this cpu is the larger 64 KB caches compared to today's 32 KB caches !

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old November 2nd 19, 07:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Amazingly enough Windows 10 cannot install itself onto the usb stick.

I will try and swap mouse and usb stick ports, just to see if this might work.

Nope... doesn't work.

I could install it onto 4.5 tb usb drive but don't wanna do that.

I want to install it on the usb 128 gb flash drive.

So Microsoft's download tool completely failed to do what I want.

So one last try:

Try and get a Windows 10 ISO... then use Win2Usb or so and try again... or that other usb burn tool

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old November 5th 19, 10:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Keeping track of what I tried so far is good.

I tried Windows 10 Enterprise Long Term Servicing Channel Edition (2018/2019).

But it also failed to install itself onto the USB.

I think I used RUFUS.

Maybe WinToUSB does something different than RUFUS.

Maybe WinToUSB installs some kind of USB Stick driver not sure.

Or perhaps the Windows 10 ISO I tried previously had something special that allowed it to be installed onto an USB stick and maybe Microsoft removed it later from the ISO.

I am now going to try Windows 7 again to see if WinToUSB can make it work.

So far steps down:

1. Use WinToUSB.
2. Use ISO: en_windows_7_ultimate_x64_dvd_x15-65922.iso
(Which I downloaded long time ago when still on windows xp )
(Not sure if this is the ISO I used to install my current system, but who knows it might work).
3. Installing into VHD via WinToUSB.

It probably won't work on my current bios... but I am going to give it a try anyway to see what happens.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old November 5th 19, 10:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Saturday, November 2, 2019 at 9:16:15 PM UTC+1, Paul wrote:
wrote:

What's nice about this cpu is the larger 64 KB caches compared to today's 32 KB caches !

Bye,
Skybuck.

Early in the install attempt, the DVD itself will tell
you whether the CPU is suitable or not.

You could try with the 32 bit version of the Windows 10 DVD.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/compa...0-installation

Paul

32 bit version probably won't be usefull. Though the NTFS file system on it will at least be 64 bit.

I suspect most games need 64 bit computing.

I'll check battlefront 2 system requirements later to see if it can run in 32 bit mode.

I think not though, I only saw one executable so far.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old November 5th 19, 11:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
[...]

Don't you have a left-over hard drive you can use ?

The cheapest SSD I can find on Newegg, is a Patriot 120GB for $21 USD.
Windows 10 only installs around 10-12GB of files. You can set the
pagefile to 1GB and turn off the hiberfile. Even smaller media would
work. Win10 tablets use 32GB eMMC flash storage, as an example.

https://www.newegg.com/patriot-burst...82E16820225081

The smallest SSDs can be cheaper than regular hard drives, as
there is less "material" to manufacture them. Sometimes, those
drives only have one Flash chip inside.

If I was buying a USB flash drive, I doubt I could get a drive
that big for $21.

I tried to do a "boot from VHD" experiment here, and the
process went into a loop and did not finish booting. Not
all the "exotic" boot methods work well.

Paul
Old November 5th 19, 11:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Tue, 5 Nov 2019 02:38:10 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

[...]

-

I used the below for W7, which during its preparation proceedures, the
USB (freeware) program -DID- go online, to Microsoft as I recall, for
additional driver specifics (MS subsequently loaded into the USB
routine) despite whatever is claimed below. (Nor did backtest it for a
"fallback" default condition, if any, with a disabled modem in the
case of W7.) This stuff is a little different obviously as I've half
a dozen OS installers loaded on a 32G USB device with half the room
left to spare. Nor have I messed with that is to say checked whether
and what is involved w/W10 ... You're of course welcome to - only if
you report back with results.

::
WinSetupFromUSB is a Windows program, which prepares multiboot USB
flash or fixed disk to install any Windows versions since 2000/XP,
boot various Linux and *BSD flavors, as well as many Windows, Linux,
DOS based and other utilities. Since version 1.1 program can create
USB disk with Windows versions which support (U)EFI (Vista x64 SP1 and
later x64 versions), which USB disk can be used in both (U)EFI and
Legacy BIOS modes.