I need to recover USB hard drive

Old July 8th 19, 05:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Default I need to recover USB hard drive

~misfit~ wrote:
On 8/07/2019 2:20 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
On Fri, 05 Jul 2019 06:04:18 -0400, wrote:

I need to try to recover data from a USB hard drive which suddenly has
become unreadable.

If Macrium can take an image backup of the drive, you might then be
able to recover data from this.
You have to be lucky though.

A bit OT for this thread but Macrium-related...

I just cloned a 120GB KingSpec mSATA SSD to a 250GB Samsung 860 EVO. It
went well but C/ drive is only 119GB - it didn't scale it to fit the new
drive.

Is there a setting I should have changed (I'm relatively new to Macrium)
or can I re-size it with Macrium?

TIA. Cheers,

Resize is a dialog in Macrium.

Macrium is *not* a replacement for a Partition Manager.
You can bodge certain operations to "make" it into
a Partition Manager, but then you'll be doing stuff
like Boot Repair afterwards. And using such techniques
with GPT disks would be out of the question. MBR disks
are a bit simpler and you can kinda get away with it.

https://postimg.cc/image/458x0anpn/

Click to magnify, then scroll down to the ninth slide
where it says "Restored Partition Properties".

This idea works best in Macrium, if the right-most
partition is the one needing a resize.

You can also drag and drop one partition at a time,
and do "layout work" with Macrium. But, it may not
boot if you do it that way. You would likely need
the usage of the "boot repair" menu item on the CD.

Paul
Old July 8th 19, 06:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_16_]

On 8/07/2019 4:18 PM, Paul wrote:
~misfit~ wrote:
[...]

Â*Â* Paul

Thanks Paul. After posting this (but while the new SSD was still attached via USB) I discovered
that I could do what I needed to do in Windows 10 by right clicking 'This PC' then going 'Manage'
'Disk Management' and right-clicking the partition and resizing it.

Nice that this sort of thing can now be done natively in Windows. I used to use Acronis for this
sort of thing back in the day but lost my registration details and no longer have the email addy I
registered with (it was a 'techemail' addy that got deleted because I hadn't checked it for a few
months).
--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

Old July 8th 19, 07:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_16_]

On 8/07/2019 4:18 PM, Paul wrote:
~misfit~ wrote:
[...]

Oh and after seeing it recommended on a forum I just downloaded NIUBI Partition Editor (free for
home use)
https://www.hdd-tool.com/download.html
but I've not installed it yet. I'll leave that until I need to re-size partitions etc. if I find
Windows can't do it natively.
--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

Old July 8th 19, 12:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

~misfit~ wrote:
On 8/07/2019 4:18 PM, Paul wrote:
~misfit~ wrote:
[...]

One of the unique properties of adjusting the size in
Macrium, is the partition is partially defragmented, depending
on which direction you change partition size. When you do a clone
or a restore of a backup, where the new partition is smaller, I've
observed a decent defragmentation occurring. (This is probably
coincidental and not done on purpose.)

As for the Disk Management Shrink/Expand, if you open the Optimize
dialog, then go back to Disk Management and request a Shrink,
you can watch the Optimize dialog "come alive" as it is
tasked with moving the files around so the partition
will shrink.

The OS Shrink cannot shrink a partition below 50%. This is caused
by some metadata that the defragmenter refuses to move. A defragmenter
like Raxco PerfectDisk can move it. And the NTFS suite in GParted
can move stuff like that too (it's easy, because the partition
is dismounted for that to happen).

Real partition managers should not have a problem with this, but
at least some of them will "schedule a reboot" as they need to
dismount the file system to carry out your request. The OS one
does this "online", and never attempts the reboot route.

Paul