1T Samsung reviewed

Old December 4th 19, 09:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default 1T Samsung reviewed

MZ-76E1T0B/AM
SSD 860 EVO 2.5" SATA III 1TB
V-NAND Technology with Enhanced Read/Write Performance
5-Year Limited Manufacturer's Warranty
Up to 8x higher TBW (Terabytes Written)* than the 850 EVO
....refined ECC* algorithm and a new MJX controller...improved queued
trim enhances Linux compatibility. Warrantied TBW for 860 EVO: 600 TBW
for 1 TB model ... and 2,400 TBW for 4 TB model.

Wonder what TBW translates into my 128G Samsung 840 Evo;- all my
drives are evidently MLC, however and although called VNAND in this
(3-bit) iteration;- The recent HP 700 256G was at a point of change
from planar MLC, on my model, to whatever they switched to short after
and since - probably TLC.

Arrived crushed with a ripped manila-bubbled envelope. Primo shipping
aside, that's conditionally about $20 less than Amazon for Samsung's
first time up under $100 on this drive;- contents were one crushed
Samsung cardboard box corner with otherwise indications of genuine
seals for relevant/contact warranty point of origin, in addition,
which I'd mistaken for 3 years at half the TBW site specs. No
protection for otherwise no evidence of a SSD physically busted in
half or little bitty pieces.

Production date 2019/10. Fresh off Korean assembly lines. Amen. Ser#
listed and matched above model# w/UPC barcode;...screw the brochure if
I'm inclined the site's not lying.

Cursory full logical partition/OEM at FAT32 (NTFS is a terrorist bomb)
is cursorily status fact a SDD, a third or less for fast computers, I
don't build, compared to Samsung's testbed (an ASUS and so on it would
appear) speed ratings.

Fine. Works and highly likely gets it on for more and longer and
better. I'd only rather killed this deal, the price I paid being
nothing special to other than a slight clip skewed for 10% additional
markup over the discounted holidays' deal I struck at.

Beyond promoted pure for highest quality at somewhat a relevancy and
discrepancy for lots of other brand values. I'd imagine. Think of
this way: It's ordinarily four 256G drives for $25 each at the
bottom-barrel TLC/QLC deals, except they're not and all Samsung's.
Old December 4th 19, 10:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Wed, 04 Dec 2019 03:47:04 -0500, Flasherly
wrote:

Oh, yeah: I maxed my MB's six SATA ports, not really caring about a
PCI soundboard, at least on this system, and should probably remove it
for its relative high-value on a SPDIF laser output used on another
(with off-board DACs).

Or, being more storage, explicitly, for a empty PCI slot, then, and
spare controllers I could add-on to yet more drives;- USB3 drivers and
BIOS switching to enable those ports, I have, over an updated array of
faster futuristic docking options makes all the above somewhat
redundant.

I suppose I could just stuff it and build a Ryzen box for $100
(MB/CPU/MEM) on a dual boot W10 and LINUX/Redhat for something better
to do. Or wait a little for the prices to optionally reach the right
temperature for testing those Great Seas of Planned Obsolesce.
Old December 10th 19, 05:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bob F

On 12/4/2019 12:47 AM, Flasherly wrote:

[...]

On my new build, I opted for a PNY 1TB CS3030 NVME drive that is rated
at 3500 MB/s read and 3000 write, with 1665 TBW and 5 year limited
warranty, and am very happy with that. It is way faster than my previous
SSD's. Going for less than $120 now.

My "new" motherboard is a GA-Z270XP-SLI that I bought off Craigslist for
$40 with a Celeron G3930 processor. I have modified the Bios to run an
I7 8700K processor, which seems to work great on the board it is not
supposed to even work on. This machine should last me a long time. Big
step from my 2500K PC. Anyone wanting to know more, search for "Coffee
lake mod for Kaby lake", especially on the win-raid site.
Old December 10th 19, 06:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Mon, 9 Dec 2019 20:53:11 -0800, Bob F wrote:

On my new build, I opted for a PNY 1TB CS3030 NVME drive that is rated
at 3500 MB/s read and 3000 write, with 1665 TBW and 5 year limited
warranty, and am very happy with that. It is way faster than my previous
SSD's. Going for less than $120 now.

I'd planned on a SATA III 512G, but the difference between low-end 1T
drives and big brandname 512G was close enough to where the Samsung
1T, at its first time below $100 just before the holiday, seemed good
enough.

Not many people can boot into a MSDOS disk and see a 1T FAT drive but
I can (at slow "native" MB transfer speeds). Haven't looked at that
specifically yet with the Samsung, but my other SSD drives show fine.
Occasionally it comes in handy -- for a quick and dirty "backdoor".
Numbered days, though, for such -- Linux and variants being
increasing the only OS alternatives with continued active development
on a "modern" platform.

I've always liked boot arbitrators for multiple operating systems and
got into it way back when with some of the first released MBR
arbitrators technology.

I watched Best Buy sell the same 512G Samsung model a week before I
bought the 1T for $45: "Geek Squad refurbished" units. And they sold
in hardly more than a day, with what people also want -- no hassle
30-day full returns basically to "try it out".

Those are some good longevity numbers on the PNY, and it looks well
reviewed in PCI-e M.2 standards.