CD-RW Hang writing large files

Old November 20th 03, 03:07 AM
cranheim

Default CD-RW Hang writing large files

I have a Dell 8200 desktop with a GCE-8400B CD-RW drive I use for backup.
When I try to copy larger files (28+megs) from the C drive, it will start
the transfer, then hang. When the hang occurs, I try to end the "copy" task
to get out of it, but it will not work. I can't unload the cd or do a
shutdown because it is waiting for something in Windows to complete. I can
backup a folder containing hundreds of small files without a problem. But,
if there is a large file in the folder, it will hang. Any ideas where to
look? Charles Ranheim

Old November 20th 03, 05:31 AM
Christopher Muto

what os, what software are you using? what method are you using to copy to
to the cd? direct copy using the file system or using easy cd-creator or
nero? roxio's (formerly adaptec) is nortorious for the problems with
directx. you can try updating the software but would be far better off to
learn how to use easy cd creator to acomplish the same task.. or better,
just get a copy of nero to use instead of roxio/adaptec (be sure to
uninstall roxio and reboot prior to installing nero).

m...

Old November 20th 03, 04:28 PM
cranheim

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
correction: directx should read directcd.

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
what os, what software are you using? what method are you using to copy

to the cd? direct copy using the file system or using easy cd-creator

or
nero? roxio's (formerly adaptec) is nortorious for the problems with
directx. you can try updating the software but would be far better off

learn how to use easy cd creator to acomplish the same task.. or better,
just get a copy of nero to use instead of roxio/adaptec (be sure to
uninstall roxio and reboot prior to installing nero).

"cranheim" wrote in message
m...
I have a Dell 8200 desktop with a GCE-8400B CD-RW drive I use for

backup.
When I try to copy larger files (28+megs) from the C drive, it will

start
the transfer, then hang. When the hang occurs, I try to end the "copy"

task
to get out of it, but it will not work. I can't unload the cd or do a
shutdown because it is waiting for something in Windows to complete. I

can
backup a folder containing hundreds of small files without a problem.

But,
if there is a large file in the folder, it will hang. Any ideas where

look? Charles Ranheim

I have a Dell PC running Windows XP Home edition. From what I can see, I
have Roxio Easy CD Creator 5, a complimentary copy installed by Dell. I have
a formatted RW-CD in my GCE-8400B CD-RW drive. I just right click on a file
in the C drive, select copy, go to the F drive, and paste. It works fine as
long as the files are small (Under 20megs)
Charles Ranheim

Old November 20th 03, 06:08 PM
Christopher Muto

that's much more clear. and you now know you have a consistent way to
duplicate the error. sounds bad, but actually it is good. try to locate
the roxio easy cd program and copy the same file to your disk (preferably a
new disk as cdr/rw can become corrupt and this may be your only problem -
that is a individual cdr/rw that is damaged ). the easy cd program should
not too hard to figure out. it splits the screen into two halves, one with
your hard drives file list and the other with a list of the files that you
want to put on your cd. drag the files over to compose a set of files you
want on your cd and then burn it... report back if this method works, or if
the old method works with a new cdr/rw. if it works then you know your
hardware is all good and that you have a software problem... and in all
likelihood that software problem goes by the name of roxio. update it or
replace it. if it doesn't work then fill us in on the details of your
computer (processor speed, memory, etc). good luck.

"cranheim" wrote in message
. com...

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
correction: directx should read directcd.

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
what os, what software are you using? what method are you using to

copy
to the cd? direct copy using the file system or using easy cd-creator

or
nero? roxio's (formerly adaptec) is nortorious for the problems with
directx. you can try updating the software but would be far better off

learn how to use easy cd creator to acomplish the same task.. or

better,
just get a copy of nero to use instead of roxio/adaptec (be sure to
uninstall roxio and reboot prior to installing nero).

m...

Old November 20th 03, 07:35 PM
cranheim

This may sound dumb, but is the Roxio software even involved when I just do
a copy and paste operation, or is it just a windows function? Remember, I
just highlight the file on the C drive, then select copy. I then select the
RW-CD and select paste. I do not do the copy from any Roxio program screens.
I do not know if Roxio is even running at the time I do the copy and paste.
By the way, I tried two different RW-CDs to write to in case one of them was
bad. They fail the same way.
Charles Ranheim

[...]

"cranheim" wrote in message
. com...

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
correction: directx should read directcd.

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
what os, what software are you using? what method are you using to

copy
to the cd? direct copy using the file system or using easy

cd-creator
or
nero? roxio's (formerly adaptec) is nortorious for the problems

with
directx. you can try updating the software but would be far better

off
learn how to use easy cd creator to acomplish the same task.. or

better,
just get a copy of nero to use instead of roxio/adaptec (be sure to
uninstall roxio and reboot prior to installing nero).

m...

Old November 20th 03, 08:45 PM
Dan Sgambelluri

yes as DirectCD is apart of Roxio and DirectCD makes the CD Burner driver
with a CDRW in it as another drive

"cranheim" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

"cranheim" wrote in message
. com...

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
correction: directx should read directcd.

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
what os, what software are you using? what method are you using

copy
to the cd? direct copy using the file system or using easy

cd-creator
or
nero? roxio's (formerly adaptec) is nortorious for the problems

with
directx. you can try updating the software but would be far better

off
learn how to use easy cd creator to acomplish the same task.. or

better,
just get a copy of nero to use instead of roxio/adaptec (be sure

uninstall roxio and reboot prior to installing nero).

m...

Old November 21st 03, 12:10 AM
Tom Scales

No, not really. DirectCD does not even have to be running for this to work
in XP. You can uninstall Roxio and it will work in XP. XP has this
function built-in (admittedly with technology licensed from Roxio).

Tom
"Dan Sgambelluri" wrote in message
yes as DirectCD is apart of Roxio and DirectCD makes the CD Burner driver
with a CDRW in it as another drive

"cranheim" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

"cranheim" wrote in message
. com...

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
correction: directx should read directcd.

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
what os, what software are you using? what method are you using

copy
to the cd? direct copy using the file system or using easy

cd-creator
or
nero? roxio's (formerly adaptec) is nortorious for the problems

with
directx. you can try updating the software but would be far

better
off
learn how to use easy cd creator to acomplish the same task.. or
better,
just get a copy of nero to use instead of roxio/adaptec (be sure

uninstall roxio and reboot prior to installing nero).

m...

Old November 21st 03, 12:23 AM
Dan Sgambelluri

yep. I was assumming that he had installed Roxio so DirectCD was installed
with it.

DirectCD doesn't have to be running, it has to be installed. I didn't say
it was running though, I just said that it makes the CD Burner another
drive. I just forgot to put in Windows Explorer or My Computer. I haven't
used that way to backup my files since my old computer.

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
No, not really. DirectCD does not even have to be running for this to

work
in XP. You can uninstall Roxio and it will work in XP. XP has this
function built-in (admittedly with technology licensed from Roxio).

Tom
"Dan Sgambelluri" wrote in message
yes as DirectCD is apart of Roxio and DirectCD makes the CD Burner

driver
with a CDRW in it as another drive

"cranheim" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

"cranheim" wrote in message
. com...

[...]

m...

Old November 21st 03, 03:19 AM
Tom Scales

In XP, DirectCD doesn't even have to be installed. No Roxio product does. It
is BUILT-IN to XP.

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
No, not really. DirectCD does not even have to be running for this to

work
in XP. You can uninstall Roxio and it will work in XP. XP has this
function built-in (admittedly with technology licensed from Roxio).

Tom
"Dan Sgambelluri" wrote in message
yes as DirectCD is apart of Roxio and DirectCD makes the CD Burner

driver
with a CDRW in it as another drive

"cranheim" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

[...]