Installing Latest XP drivers - ACCESS IS DENIED

Old February 3rd 04, 02:13 PM

Default Installing Latest XP drivers - ACCESS IS DENIED

Been trying to update drivers for GF3 for 2 hours now.

Tried deleting old drivers manually, deleting with nastyfileremover,
installing the new drivers in a number of different ways...

I turned off Sophos Virus check as best as possible (there is one file that
you can't stop in Task Manager or manually). managed to update like that
before with no problems.

I keep getting "access is denied" message just as the update is about to
finish. Searched google and nothing useful there...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Joel

Old February 3rd 04, 06:27 PM
Mangyrat

have you tryed loging in as the adminstrator?

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

Old February 3rd 04, 07:22 PM

"Mangyrat" wrote in message
have you tryed loging in as the adminstrator?

I'm in as admin. I have made loads of system adjustments, installations etc.
Its just this driver won't install for some reason.

Old February 3rd 04, 08:07 PM
SleeperMan

typed:

Been trying to update drivers for GF3 for 2 hours now.

Tried deleting old drivers manually, deleting with nastyfileremover,
installing the new drivers in a number of different ways...

I turned off Sophos Virus check as best as possible (there is one
file that you can't stop in Task Manager or manually). managed to
update like that before with no problems.

I keep getting "access is denied" message just as the update is about
to finish. Searched google and nothing useful there...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Joel

Do you by any chance get any illegal data or similar message? If so, go to
c:\Windows\System32\Catroot2 and in there delete file edb.log. Normally it's
shown as text file. Make a backup and delete it. then retry. File will
re-create itself (it can happen that it gets corrupted)

Also read below message, if there's of any help.

Problem: When Trying To Install Hardware And/Or Drivers - error message is
"There was a problem installing this hardware :Hardware Name. An error
occurred during the installation of this device. The data is invalid." This
problem is occurs because the registry will not allow writes to the driver
information keys.

FIX: To fix this problem, go to Start, Run... and type "regedit" without the
quotes, to run the Registry Editor. Navigate your way down to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ ENUM\PCI

and you will see a number of keys in the form of "VEN_xxxx", where xxxx are
strings like "1102&DEV_0004&SUBSYS_00011103&REV_04". Under each of these
folders will be another folder with a long numerical name. Open each folder
and look for the "DeviceDesc" which matches the hardware you are trying to
install.
Right Click on the "VEN_xxxx" for that device and select 'Permissions' and
then tick "Allow" for "Full Control". Close Regedit and then continue with
the installation of your device. You should not need to reboot after you
close regedit but some people have found that they do.

Old February 4th 04, 06:57 PM

Do you by any chance get any illegal data or similar message? *snip*

Thanks for the reply, but that is a different problem.

When updating to latest Nividia drivers, I keep getting "access is denied"
message just as the update is about
to finish.

Can't install drivers.

Please help!

joel

Old February 4th 04, 07:44 PM
SleeperMan

typed:

Do you by any chance get any illegal data or similar message? *snip*

Thanks for the reply, but that is a different problem.

When updating to latest Nividia drivers, I keep getting "access is
denied" message just as the update is about
to finish.

Can't install drivers.

Please help!

joel

do you have by any chance Nvidia tray icon running - tryto shut it down.
Also did you try selecting standard VGA driver for your card, then uninstall
old drivers, then install new ones?

latest catalyst drivers (4.7,4.8,4.9...) disabled DirectX on my 8500DV??? J?j? Ati Videocards 0 September 11th 04 12:55 AM
Any of latest Cat drivers fixed Adobe Gamma compatibility Markeau Ati Videocards 1 August 21st 04 02:36 PM
Please Help Mary Ati Videocards 36 February 29th 04 07:28 PM
Problem installing ATI FireGL 8700 drivers on Windows XP Gooch Ati Videocards 0 January 23rd 04 05:07 AM
Installing older 43.45 display drivers Max Harrell Nvidia Videocards 8 December 17th 03 05:53 PM