Average rewrite and lifetime of Media

Old July 18th 03, 08:27 PM
Andreas Mitsis

Default Average rewrite and lifetime of Media

Anyone knows how many times I can write on normal CD-RW media? When will it
cause serious failures to do so and what is the average lifetime? Does this
depend on the manufacturer of the media in use? Where can I find
information about this online?

Thank you

Old July 18th 03, 08:39 PM
Dan G

No good answer to this. There are HS RW dics around that won't even write
twice. Currently the Ultra-speed (24x) verbatim media is very good. HS media
is notoriously poor and unreliable, but TDK and Sony have been good. Here
are some error-rate tests:
http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread...threadid=60316

high error-rates indicate a disc that is hard to read.

Old July 19th 03, 05:33 AM
smh

Andreas Mitsis wrote:

Anyone knows how many times I can write on normal CD-RW media? When will it
cause serious failures to do so and what is the average lifetime? Does this
depend on the manufacturer of the media in use? Where can I find
information about this online?

Lifetime and reliability of CD-RW depend on the brand/manufacturer, just
like with CD-R. But there doesn't seemed to be any fast and easy answer
to that question.

Some info he

http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq02.html#S2-12
http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq07.html#S7-5

(Note: Don't be surprised if the info in the cdr-faq is "quite dated"
and has "significant errors" [Mike Richter])

Excerpts from: http://www.verbatim.com/news/news2.cfm?art_id=47

The latest release of Orange Book Part III Volume 3
details the specifications for Ultra-Speed CDRW media.

Verbatim DataLifePlus 16x-24x CD-RW discs deliver more than 1,000
overwrites and an archival life of more than 30 years

Verbatim backs the quality of its complete line of DataLifePlus
media with a lifetime warranty.

Watch out for arguments along these lines:

"cd-rw is less reliable than cd-r, thus cd-rw is unreliable"
"cd-rw is the least reliable media, thus cd-rw is unreliable"

(There are many in these cdr groups who swear by the above.)

Old July 19th 03, 07:34 AM
GMAN

Watch out for arguments along these lines:

"cd-rw is less reliable than cd-r, thus cd-rw is unreliable"
"cd-rw is the least reliable media, thus cd-rw is unreliable"

(There are many in these cdr groups who swear by the above.)

walking on eggshells eh?
Old July 19th 03, 11:48 AM
William Leech

In message , GMAN
writes

Watch out for arguments along these lines:

"cd-rw is less reliable than cd-r, thus cd-rw is unreliable"
"cd-rw is the least reliable media, thus cd-rw is unreliable"

(There are many in these cdr groups who swear by the above.)

walking on eggshells eh?

I've seen a Philips employee quote that poorly matched erasable media
with the drive it's in will have a rewrite lifetime of 10.
--
William Leech May the Vortex be with you:
http://www.lasersailing.com/vortex/vortex.asp
Old July 21st 03, 06:22 AM
Sunny

"smh" wrote in message

Gene pool filter broke again ?

Old July 21st 03, 09:32 PM
Tim Kroesen

Usenet Abuse - Continuing Stalking, Harassment and Libel

Additional references to portals that have recently banned this
psychotic for Stalking and Harassment should you require additional
information.

From: smh
Newsgroups: comp.publish.cdrom.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Subject: Average rewrite and lifetime of Media
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 22:11:25 -0700

"smh" wrote in message
. --------------------------------------
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
(Reduced to living off the trash?)

"... my thanks to Tim ..."

Timmy Kroesen ("Net-Kook") wrote:

Usenet Abuse - Continuing Stalking, Harassment

Aren't you talking about yourself, Timmy?

and Libel

Suppose you are calling this a libel?

" Don't be surprised if the info in the cdr-faq is "quite dated"
and has "significant errors" [Mike Richter] "

Does merely quoting Mikey's words constitute a libel?

=====================
From: Mike Richter (King Troll)
Date: 5/24/02

I've posted privately to Andy on the FAQ section.

It is quite dated (Win95 and NT) and has significant errors
=====================

Do you suppose you can establish with specific examples that any of

the
following is a libel, Timmy?

Mike Richter is a LIAR (wife beating)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (critical bugs)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (major bug)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (nda limit)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (nda)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (no secret)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (dae)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (no enhanced cd)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd/cdr-faq)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/cd-text)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/sao/tao)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/single-session)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/winme)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/winme)(ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/plextor)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(iv)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(v)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(8a)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iv)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (v)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (viii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (ix)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (x)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (xi)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (supplied cd)

What's wrong with Mike Richter (Tim Kroesen) (i)
What's wrong with Mike Richter (Tim Kroesen) (ii)

Mike Richter Wow! Wow! Wow!

Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (i)
Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (ii)

Mike Richter & "Looooooooonng" Time for Nothing

Old July 23rd 03, 01:25 AM
smh

Sunny wrote (7/20/03):

Gene pool filter broke again ?

How many assholes do you have, Asshole?

===================
From: "sunny"
Date: 6/23/02

It has been in my killfile for ages

===================
Date: 5/5/03

wonder if smh will read this, seeing as I have him kill filed

===================
Date: 7/10/03

For **** sake, change your pills.
Plonk (again)

===================
Date: 7/11/03

Are you still studying to be an idiot, or have you graduated yet?
(must remember to ask someone to fix the gene pool filter)

Old July 23rd 03, 09:20 AM
Rui Sá

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 11:48:09 +0100, William Leech
wrote:

I've seen a Philips employee quote that poorly matched erasable media
with the drive it's in will have a rewrite lifetime of 10.

10 what: days, months, years?

--
To reply by e-mail please replace the underscore with a dot.