Other Cards Matching Matrox 2D Quality?

Old August 1st 04, 11:12 PM
Arthur Hagen

skorpion wrote:
Arthur Hagen wrote:

unmoderated newsgroups anymore -- they're too easy to forge and
abuse by kiddies cancelling people's posts just for "fun" or spite.

How can they do that? Isn't it necessary to cancel through the same
server and client IP?

Nope. From the inn.conf(5) manual (inn is the most common news server
software out there):

verifycancels
Set this to true to enable a simplistic check on all
cancel messages, attempting to verify (by simple
header comparison) that the cancel message is from the
same person as the original post. This can't be done
if the cancel arrives before the article does, and is
extremely easy to spoof. While this check may once
have served a purpose, it's now essentially security
via obscurity, commonly avoided by abusers, and probaÂ
bly not useful. This is a boolean value, and the
default is false.

Anyway my message wasn't _that_ bad (or was it).

Not at all -- just wanted to make you aware that sending a cancel isn't as
useful as one might think.

Regards,
--
*Art

Old August 3rd 04, 05:27 AM
Jon Rodman

Hi Doug,
If you don't mind my asking, what is the difference between the G550 and the
G650?

I am getting ready to move up from a G400 but don't know which one to go
for.

I have one PC with two monitors. One is a 24" Sun Microsystems, and the
other is a 19" Envision. I mainly use them for Photoshop and surfing.
Jon
"Doug Ramage" wrote in message

"nubis" wrote in message
I was going to buy an ATI 9800Pro for its excellent 3D capabilities,
but am having second thoughts given a number of people have reported
its 2D quality is less than my Matrox G400Max. Any suggestions? I'm
considering the Parhelia but it's a little out of my price range,
although I'm checking on ebay for a better than retail price. Thanks.

Same here. I bought a 9800 Pro and sold it last week.

I am using a G550, but will probably go for a P650. The P750 and Parhelia
look like over-kill for my requirements.
--
Doug Ramage

[watch spam trap]

Old August 3rd 04, 07:49 AM
Doug Ramage

Not that much, judging from previous posts.

Have a look at the earlier thread " G550 or P650 in a new PC? Please help
me decide."

--
Doug Ramage

[watch spam trap]