AMD cpus can be faster than 1 TeraHertz!

Old October 25th 04, 09:17 AM
Karl-Hugo Weesberg

Default AMD cpus can be faster than 1 TeraHertz!

You just need a liquid hydrogen cooling system!
Old October 25th 04, 04:57 PM
Bitsbucket

I think you mean nitrogen, not hydrogen. As liquid nitrogen is a standard
cooling medium. I personally have never heard of liquid HYDROGEN being used
as a cooling agent........besides that it highly combustable, as in, you
know....FIRE?????

"Karl-Hugo Weesberg" wrote in message
om...
You just need a liquid hydrogen cooling system!

---

Old October 25th 04, 06:28 PM
Chip

"Karl-Hugo Weesberg" wrote in message
om...
You just need a liquid hydrogen cooling system!

Yawn. There's one born every minute, isn't there.

Old October 25th 04, 10:45 PM
Rusty

Yes, Albert Einstein, the Wright Bro's, Bill Gates, Tomas Edison, just name
a few. Many others tried, but these few made it work. All were told that
"it will never work". If the there were a liquid hydrogen cooling system at
the cost of a water cooling system, I would buy it. Liquid nitrogen cooling
systems have already been made for rack mounted server systems, although
they cost a allot. There have also been experiments with total liquid bath
systems in a non-conductive fluid cooled with liquid nitrogen, which worked.
A PC in an liquid tight container. Imagine a PC at -160°C and no
condensation problems because it's in a liquid in a sealed container, cool.
Call it a LPC after LCD.

Old October 26th 04, 08:58 AM
Chip

I don't know why I am even commenting on this. I'll probably regret it.

"Rusty" wrote in message
om...
Yes, Albert Einstein, the Wright Bro's, Bill Gates, Tomas Edison, just
name a few. Many others tried, but these few made it work. All were told
that "it will never work".

My comment wasn't that "it will never work" (although that is true of
course). Merely that Leo's was yet another idiotic post. And forgive me,
but Leo and Albert Einstein are perhaps not in the same league are they.

If the there were a liquid hydrogen cooling system at the cost of a water
cooling system, I would buy it.

And if the new Porsche GT3 was available for $3000, I'd buy that too. Dream
on.

Liquid nitrogen cooling systems have already been made for rack mounted
server systems, although they cost a allot.

And that's nitrogen. Liquid hydrogen cooled would be even worse. Let alone
the safety implications.

There have also been experiments with total liquid bath systems in a
non-conductive fluid cooled with liquid nitrogen, which worked.

You forgot the word "badly". ..... system is a non-conductive fluid
cooled with liquid nitrogen, which worked BADLY.

Although its incredibly cold, the fluid can't conduct the heat away fast
enough and the whole system becomes unstable in a matter of minutes.

A PC in an liquid tight container. Imagine a PC at -160°C and no
condensation problems because it's in a liquid in a sealed container,
cool. Call it a LPC after LCD.

I'm afraid I can't see that working, even if it was cost effective, which it
would never be.

I am not sure we will ever see 1 TeraHertz (i.e. 1000 GigaHertz) processors
with the current silicon-based technology. Perhaps with 0.1 micron
components it may be possible, but I doubt it. And anyway, that's nearly 10
times better than the current state-of-the-art.

Chip

Old October 27th 04, 03:36 AM
Rusty

Just don't think it right to reproach someone this way. The right way would
be to redirect and encourage. This is a public posting area and idiotic
post will happen, agreed. It might be best to just ignore them. I will
dream on as "old men have dreams and young men have visions" and I am a old
man. Time will tell if 1 Terahertz is possible and who's to say it won't be
a PR rating 1 Terahertz+ at 300GHz clock speed. AMD marketing!!!!

"Chip" wrote in message
I don't know why I am even commenting on this. I'll probably regret it.

om...

Old October 27th 04, 09:42 AM
Chip

"Rusty" wrote in message
om...
Just don't think it right to reproach someone this way. The right way
would
be to redirect and encourage. This is a public posting area and idiotic
post will happen, agreed. It might be best to just ignore them. I will
dream on as "old men have dreams and young men have visions" and I am a
old
man. Time will tell if 1 Terahertz is possible and who's to say it won't
be
a PR rating 1 Terahertz+ at 300GHz clock speed. AMD marketing!!!!

I am sure we *will* see 1 Terahertz CPUs. Just not with todays technology
and to imply that you could manage it with liquid hyrdrogen cooling is,
franky, idiotic.

I don't mind offering help and encouragement (in the very limited areas
where I might conceivably be qualified to do so). But Karl's post was just
plain daft.

Chip

"Chip" wrote in message
I don't know why I am even commenting on this. I'll probably regret it.

om...

Old October 27th 04, 03:05 PM
Scumball

Sure.
Thanks for pointing that out.

Old October 27th 04, 10:16 PM
Michael Brown

Bitsbucket wrote:
I think you mean nitrogen, not hydrogen. As liquid nitrogen is a
standard cooling medium. I personally have never heard of liquid
HYDROGEN being used as a cooling agent

Actually, liquid hydrogen is used fairly extensively in low-temperature
physics experiments, particularily in superconductivity. It's got a good
latent heat of vaporisation and a low temperature, which means it cools
things quite well. For those extreme-cooling projects, though, you can't
beat liquid helium. It's latent heat of vaporisation is much lower (about a
20th of liquid hydrogen IIRC) so you don't get much bang for your buck, but
with a boiling point of ~4 Kelvin it's very hard to beat.

........besides that it highly
combustable, as in, you know....FIRE?????

Yeah, there is that slight annoyance ... just keep the thing sealed and
you'll be sweet though

[...]

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more

Old October 28th 04, 09:36 AM
Chip

"Bitsbucket" wrote in message
I think you mean nitrogen, not hydrogen. As liquid nitrogen is a standard
cooling medium. I personally have never heard of liquid HYDROGEN being used
as a cooling agent........besides that it highly combustable, as in, you
know....FIRE?????

Don't rise to it, Dude. The guy is off his head. (If you don't believe me,
then take a look at his post on alt.comp.periphs.videocard.nvidia this
morning.)

Intel, AMD... Mirko General 11 November 22nd 04 07:17 AM
Any faster socket A CPU's planned? Wblane Overclocking AMD Processors 3 September 1st 04 07:55 AM
Faster socket A CPU's in the future? Wblane Overclocking AMD Processors 2 May 28th 04 12:40 AM
Can motherboards be upgraded for faster cpus than intended? [email protected] General 3 October 8th 03 04:33 PM
Can a motherboards bios be upgraded to support faster CPUs? How? [email protected] General 0 September 28th 03 12:50 PM