OH MY GOD: Do not install IOMegaWare Zipdrive drivers on Windows 7x64 Editions

Old January 2nd 20, 06:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Default OH MY GOD: Do not install IOMegaWare Zipdrive drivers on Windows7 x64 Editions

wrote:
So far Sparky Linux big disappointment as well as linux, this module is missing sucks hard.

I don't know how to download it which is ****ing annoying/frustrating cause all the other crap is downloadable but when it comes to actual hardware support nothing can be downloaded with anything like a package manager or driver manager.

Focus on driver manager.

And forget all the **** that is currently in package manager LOL.

Linux completely useless if it does not support my hardware with drivers.

Will have to install windows 32 bit xp or maybe unbuntun BUT **** LINUX you have diapointed me anoughg for now **** OFF LINUX

Here is full thread of sparky linux:

Hello,

There are no IOMEGA Zipdrive Parallel Port drivers for Windows 7 x64 Ultimate edition and thus I need to look elsewhere.

I believe I have Sparky Linux installed on a usb stick plugged into my computer in the back. Windows 7 x64 edition cannot read this partition, which is kinda odd, it's ext4 I guess, this is a bit unfortunate, but I know Sparky Linux can read NTFS drives and probably write to them.

So in theory if I could get ZIPDRIVE working in Sparky Linux I could move the files over the windows 7 NTFS as well.

So I have started investigating if it's possible to get ZIPDRIVE working in Linux and so far there seems to be some kind of linux driver out there... but it needs to be installed or configured or something and since I am a total linux noob I may need help with this ?!?

Let me know if you can give me any tips how to do this ?

Also my main question is:

Does Sparky Linux GAME OVER edition come aboard with this zipdrive driver ?

There is speak of an ubuntu driver, but since sparky linux is based on debain I am in doubt if that would be of any uses, though linux is linux right ? Maybe that might work as well, though installation might be slightly different or I have to switch to ubuntu... or I have to install it on drive and such... I may install multiple versions of linux for these kinds of purposes... hmmm.. also backup linux would be cool for experimentation purposes but guess I will have to backup entire partition or so... getting a bit off topic, though bad driver installs can result from this

This link contains a document how to try and compile/install zipdrive drivers, might work, I am probably going to try this on sparky linux =D

https://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/text/ZIP-Drive

Well since Sparky Linux is open source I believe ? I should be able to check the source files first to see if the mentioned driver software/files are there, now this is where open source is getting a little bit interesting =D

Hmm sparky linux seems to be divided/spread over many repositiries:

https://github.com/sparkylinux

My best guess in what repository this driver might be in is (core):

https://github.com/sparkylinux/sparky-core

So I will try and look in there...

Wow there is nothing in there ? WTF ? Checked 4 5 and 6 ? Weird..

https://github.com/sparkylinux/spark.../tree/master/4

Well now I am unsure if I am at the real sparky github or a fake one.

I check the main website:

https://sparkylinux.org/

But it mentions nothing about open source or github, no links nothing.

So maybe I am wrong about it being open source and it's closed source.

Would be nice if the website clearifies this...

Well to me it seems like the sparky linux core was deleted or something, so maybe Sparky Linux project is terminated, don't know.

But at least I can still try the already installed sparky linux.

I do however want to see this source file mentioned in text file above to see what it entails and how difficult this would be to re-produce in delphi for windows or so, so here is the file:

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/bl...ers/scsi/ppa.c

Good to see it's still there, so I am hopefull it's also somewhere deep inside of SparkyLinux

(I have UFO defense on one of the zipdisks, also know as x-com =D would love to play it inside of sparky linux if possible, not sure if it has a dos emulator, but this is mostly for extracting data of of zip disks for my computer, but some entertainment might also be nice =D)

Well so far there are some issues with Sparky Linux regarding zipdrive support:

1. the module isn't there.

2. the linux kernel source isn't there.

3. All tutorials seem out-dated or not suited for sparky linux.

4. I did find jazip in some kind of package manager.

Don't know exactly how to set it up, must find some kind of device first.

5. Try ppa and imm also not working.

I am going to need some kind of linux expert to make this work.

Or I must switch to ubuntu or some other linux operating system that has this, but then I might as well install windows xp 32 bit and be done with it...

Disappointed with linux and sparky linux so far.

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

The parallel port itself can be detected by PNP.
It's at one of the "well-known" IO space addresses.

The hardware sits on the SuperIO chip, and that's
what drives the parallel port.

But the parallel port as a "bus", I don't think
you can probe with an OS and tell what is connected.
It was more designed for bit-banging than as a regular
computer bus as such. It's like a GPIO interface of sorts
on an embedded chip.

The parallel port has four different operating modes.

One of the modes is called Bidirectional, and your
parallel port storage device likely uses that at 500KB/sec.
The parallel port doesn't go much faster than that,
when data is transferred a word at a time with the CPU.

*******

If you find support in the Package Manager, you tick the box
and "install" or a similar word should appear in the menu
as you're doing that.

There is a separate "Apply" button usually, so that once
you have ticked the boxes of the item(s) you want,
they get downloaded from the Repository and installed.
The install copies stuff into /usr/bin and /usr/lib,
those sorts of places. The manual page for any software,
is prepared and put into the manual pages tree.

In a Terminal window, if you then try

apropos jazip
apropos zip

if there is a manual page, maybe now it shows up.

You would expect the family of devices to show up
using "Iomega" as a keyword. But maybe not.

man jazip # related to mounting the drive

man jazipconfig # auto-probes buses, prepares /etc/jazip.config

sudo jazipconfig # The permissions on /etc require root access
# systemd based distros will have additional steps
# they will do

sudo adduser skybuck floppy # Adds the current account, whatever it's called,
# to the "floppy" Linux group, giving permission
# for "skybuck" to use the parallel port ZIP.

sudo jazip ... # Linux "mount" and "umount" activities need
# root access too.

Also, once a package finished installing in the Package Manager,
if you do Properties on the newly installed item, there is
an item showing the list of installed files. A person
who has just installed software, checks in the list
to see if "/usr/bin/some-new-software-item" is
in the list, because sometimes the page name and the
executable have different names. For example the package
"gddrescue", the executable file installed is "ddrescue".
By checking Properties and looking for the List of Files,
you will be better informed about your next steps to
using the software.

When you boot live media, and without "persistent storage"
set up, an installed package only lasts as long as the
live session is running. When you shut down at the end
of the session, the copy of "jazip" in RAM is lost. The
recipe must be repeated the next time you start the
liveDVD materials again.

If the distro has "persistence" (casper-rw file), then
that can save the jazip package between sessions. But
the casper-rw file is not very big, and will run out
of space without too much trouble. So don't get too excited
about setting up persistence. Persistence, if the file is
kept on the USB stick, can wear the USB flash stick and
break it after a few years. I don't use persistence on
my USB flash sticks holding Ubuntu and Linux Mint.

Installing on a hard drive partition gives more space to
work. I sometimes use that, but also use Live Sessions
a lot for small maintenance things I need to do. This
means I've installed "TestDisk", a zillion times.

Paul
Old January 2nd 20, 06:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
****.

I was planning on simply re-installing MS-DOS 6.22 from VMWARE 8.

But apperently VMWARE 8 has a ****ing limitation too:

Error when trying to add big usb drive:

"vmware 8 the physical disk is too big. The maximum allowed is 2 TB"

Google search produces:

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/419611

KABOEM BABY.

Running into all kinds of limitations !

NOW YOU KNOW WHY YOU SHOULD ALWAYS GO BIG with ADDRESSING. YIKES.

But I am not giving up yet.

I can try and copy the ms-dos 6.22 files from an existing VHD...

and maybe use some command to make this fat16 bootable and workable...

I think there was some kind of command for it

sys c: or something not sure !

Wow... carefull don't **** the wrong drive lol and I think this must be done from ms-dos os... so fortunately I can try and run the ms-dos 6.22 vhd and try from there maybe.

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

MSDOS itself, likely has a limit for the drive size.

Showing it 2TB worth of drive, isn't exactly going
to end well.

https://i.postimg.cc/44BSNkqX/dostest.gif

Paul
Old January 3rd 20, 06:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Thursday, January 2, 2020 at 3:01:32 PM UTC+1, wrote:
HAHA

Yesterday I already had a theory why USB drives are better than normal drives and this is going to CRACK-YOU-UP.

CAUSE USB VIRTUALIZES THEM !

OH YEAH.

So I went about this the wrong way, a trick I learned from somebody on youtube.

To work around this harddisk limitation problem in VMWARE it makes more sense to add this device as a USB device perhaps via a USB controller in VMWARE.

This way the USB protocol can be used to communicate with much larger disks...

Cause somehow windows 7 is using some kind of virtualize harddisk protocol on top of USB, GET IT ?! =D

YES.

If my theory is correct than adding USB devices to VMWARE 8 will allow me to circumvent this limitation ! HAHAHAHAHA.

Bye,
Skybuck =D

Old January 3rd 20, 06:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

(I thought I posted a double message not sure, deleted it I think but whatever)

I WANNA I HAVE DONE IT FOLKS. MS-DOS 6.22 on a USB MASS STORAGE DEVICE HERE IS A TUTORIAL FOR YOU, maybe I LATER upload VIDEO with PROOF ! =D

Tutorial how to install ms-dos 6.22 onto a usb mass storage device using vmware and other tools:

Written quickly/sloppy by Skybuck Flying on 2 january 2020, this should give you a general but workable idea/method how to do it,
it worked for me ! =D

Ok here is how I got ms-dos 6.22 working on usb, it was quite genius and crazy but it worked lol.

With full 2 GB partition on 4 TB usb drive ! HOLY**** ! =D

So here is how it goes, the method:

1. First create a virtual machine in vmware 8 as usual for ms-dos 6.22/operating system

2. Create a virtual disk of 2 GB.

3. Use virtual floppy disks to install all 3 disks of ms-dos 6.22 to this virtual drive, make sure the floppy disk is connected
when starting the virtual machine.

4. If necessary go into boot menu of virtual machine/bios press F2 or escape and boot from floppy if necessary but if floppy disk
is already connected in vmware machine settings then it should automatically boot from floppy disk.

5. Install ms-dos from floppy disks as usual, this will go quite fast, when it askes to change floppy disk, go to virtual machine
settings and change floppy disk image to disk 2 and finally disk 3 and so forth.

6. Once ms-dos 6.22 is installed in vmware8, shut down the machine, also make sure this drive is not mapped or anything.

7. Use the following tool to convert vmdk to vhd: 2Tware Convert VHD 1.0.2

8. Save the new vhd file somewhere using this 2tware conver tool.

9. Now attach the usb drive and make it go online if necessary in disk management in computer management.

10. Use the following tool to copy VHD to physical disk, make sure physical disk is empty or can be overwritten without losing
critical data, all critical data on usb drive will become inaccessible possibly so make sure you can afford that.

HDDRawCopy1.10Portable.exe

11. I also created a partition on the usb drive but I don't think this is necessary, I did it with diskpart and fat16 and such but
this can be skipped, HDD Raw Copy tool doesn't care what is on usb drive, it will just overwrite it.

12. Use VHD Attach tool or the VHD attach options in disk management, for safety reasons I advise you to disable/detach all VHD's use
special VHD Attach tool for this, to avoid risk of accidently clicking delete VHD in stupid disk tool of microsoft windows, that's
how I did it, minimize risk, though it kinda increases risk, but at least avoids confusion. First I did a test from vhd to vhd
that worked perfectly. Then I did the real thing from VHD to Physical disk which was the usb drive ! =D

13. And voila, after HDDRawCopy is done MS-DOS 6.22 partition/MBR and such will be available on USB DRIVE, this is fantastic ! =D

14. Now ms-dos 6.22 can be booted from boot menu and have maximum capacity of 2 GB available assuming your BIOS supports 2 GB.

If not then use 500 MB for drive/vhd capacity !

GOOD LUCK

And may the SKYBUCK-FORCE BE WITH YOU ! ALWAYSZZZ ! =D

P.S.: THIS IS SO COOOOOL ! =D

I always wanted to have some way to boot this computer into ms-dos 6.22 ! =D hihihihih.

And now thanks to usb drives this has become a reality ! =D

You could also try USB Sticks ! =D
Old January 3rd 20, 06:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Thursday, January 2, 2020 at 6:48:09 PM UTC+1, Paul wrote:
wrote:
****.

[...]

I am happy to disappointed you.

I am also happy you didnt seem to believe in a good ending LOL.

See other posting and new threat gonna do that too ! =D