A computer components & hardware forum. HardwareBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » HardwareBanter forum » General Hardware & Peripherals » Homebuilt PC's
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Video: Skynet ? on a Pentium 166 from 1997 ?

Old December 31st 19, 06:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Video: Skynet ? on a Pentium 166 from 1997 ?

Video: Skynet ? on Pentium 166 from 1997 ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28Qf...ature=youtu.be

(Hi Paul)

I write this posting mostly for you but others too, quite a lot of fun looking at these old computers and I came across this, you'll have to watch the video to know what I am talking about =D

Using computers is apperently not without risk of creating Skynet by accident, quite a funny thing when I think I about it.

I will investigate the possibility of accidently creating a skynet further in the near future.

For now I hope you enjoy this old system

Alternatively these files could be renamed to *.exe or *.com just to see what would happen =D

I hope you enjoy the story and also there is a little lesson/warning to be learned from it.

Especially for programmers working in large data centers ! =D

Bye for now,
Skybuck.
Old December 31st 19, 06:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I am going to post this here as well:

It's mostly about how and if it's possible to use a usb 2.0 harddisk on pentium 3 or even pentium 166 ?!? =D

To use it to transfer these files, otherwise I will have to use network cards and hope for the best ! =D

I may need some help to retrieve these files from this Pentium 166 ?!

I will try my own udp file transfer tool later and use network technology.

Problem right now is:

CD-Rom drive of DreamPC is basically broken.
Floppy dick/disk lol what a typo ain't present.
Pentium 166 does not have USB ports for usb harddisk.

Backup CD's are oxidized and data corrupted ?!

This could maybe also be a source of skynet data corruption ?! Then again so far windows refuses to read data corruption into itself ?! Was this a protection feature to prevent skynet from being created ?! =D

Do you electronics designers ever think about data corruption and how it might accidently create skynet by creating a random computer program by chance ?! =D

Anyway it would be nice if a USB 2.0 external harddisk could be attached to the pentium 166. Perhaps later I google if there is any solution.

I also tried the USB 2.0 external harddisk on a pentium 3, 450 mhz, which does have usb ports, but they are probably only usb 1.0.

Windows xp on the pentium 3 does detect the driver and it does install some kind of driver maybe, but the drive doesn't show up in windows explorer ?!

So I am guessing it is unusuable ?!

I am too scared to attach the computers to the internet for any updating because of virusses lurking around, so trying windows update to see if there are any more recent drivers or so is out of the question ! =D

Also network corruption could also be a source of skynet ! =D

Also let me know if you ever had any freak corruption accident like this

Alternatively these files could be renamed to *.exe or *.com just to see what would happen =D

I hope you enjoy the story and also there is a little lesson/warning to be learned from it.

Bye for now,
Skybuck.
Old December 31st 19, 10:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]
external usenet poster

wrote:

It's mostly about how and if it's possible to use a usb 2.0 harddisk on pentium 3 or even pentium 166 ?!? =D

To use it to transfer these files, otherwise I will have to use network cards and hope for the best ! =D

Problem right now is:

This could maybe also be a source of skynet data corruption ?! Then again so far windows refuses to read data corruption into itself ?! Was this a protection feature to prevent skynet from being created ?! =D

Do you electronics designers ever think about data corruption and how it might accidently create skynet by creating a random computer program by chance ?! =D

Anyway it would be nice if a USB 2.0 external harddisk could be attached to the pentium 166. Perhaps later I google if there is any solution.

I also tried the USB 2.0 external harddisk on a pentium 3, 450 mhz, which does have usb ports, but they are probably only usb 1.0.

Windows xp on the pentium 3 does detect the driver and it does install some kind of driver maybe, but the drive doesn't show up in windows explorer ?!

I am too scared to attach the computers to the internet for any updating because of virusses lurking around, so trying windows update to see if there are any more recent drivers or so is out of the question ! =D

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

Does the Pentium 3 have a network card in it ?

Do you have a router/switch thing to plug it into ?

Maybe you can use file sharing to the laptop you
sometimes have or something. Or use FTP. I don't
know anything about your setup, so can't dream up
any other solutions.

There don't seem to be a lot of choices for USB2 PCI cards
any more, so unless a local store has old stock or
"surplus" items, you might not be able to find
a desirable one. I think NEC stopped making the USB2
chips, and only some VIA branded chips are available
for USB2. And with USB3 cards, the odds are poor
that their collection of W7/W8/W10 drivers would
be of any use. I have a USB3 card running on WinXP,
but you can't find stuff like that any more. There
are some USB3 chips of more recent vintage, but
they're Win7+ on drivers.

I was joking with someone the other day, about
using "kermit" transfer and a serial port, but
as it turns out, the old collection of kermit
executables is pretty awful, and you're unlikely
to get that running in any case. And the transfer
rate would likely be 5-10KB per second. Terrible
idea...

I could not view your Youtube video. It said
it was age-restricted and I would need to login.
Not gonna happen...

Paul
Old December 31st 19, 08:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, December 31, 2019 at 10:53:20 AM UTC+1, Paul wrote:
wrote:

Problem right now is:

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

Does the Pentium 3 have a network card in it ?

Do you have a router/switch thing to plug it into ?

Maybe you can use file sharing to the laptop you
sometimes have or something. Or use FTP. I don't
know anything about your setup, so can't dream up
any other solutions.

There don't seem to be a lot of choices for USB2 PCI cards
any more, so unless a local store has old stock or
"surplus" items, you might not be able to find
a desirable one. I think NEC stopped making the USB2
chips, and only some VIA branded chips are available
for USB2. And with USB3 cards, the odds are poor
that their collection of W7/W8/W10 drivers would
be of any use. I have a USB3 card running on WinXP,
but you can't find stuff like that any more. There
are some USB3 chips of more recent vintage, but
they're Win7+ on drivers.

I was joking with someone the other day, about
using "kermit" transfer and a serial port, but
as it turns out, the old collection of kermit
executables is pretty awful, and you're unlikely
to get that running in any case. And the transfer
rate would likely be 5-10KB per second. Terrible
idea...

I could not view your Youtube video. It said
it was age-restricted and I would need to login.
Not gonna happen...

Oh good to know that.

Yeah there is unfortunately some nudity in there LOL.

So I decided it was savest to set it to 18 years and such... apperently that requires a login. Hmmm...

I should have known better, but yeah, seeing pammie is kinda funny, but hmm.... maybe I should replace that graphics but neh, I am gonna leave it like it was.

I did annoy me a little bit that that particular part showed up as a thumbnail then again it's kinda funny, the universe coming together.

Now it looks like click bait haha.

Now it looks like it's some kind of dirty movie lol.

I guess youtube's deep learning networks have learned to pick the mosty dirty looking thumbnail to attract the most clicks

So for now I will have to "trust" the Deep Learning Youtube's deep learning network lol, neh... I don't really... I have little choice... I could set it to a more boring thumbnail... but neh... It wouldn't be suiting.

This is about documenting the strangeness of the universe and **** ups... I just consider this a kind of **** up... see... it makes it even more funny..

Pamela Anderson triggering Skynet... and now it triggers Deep Learning Network.

Who would have thought ?! =D

I am pretty sure the out instruction was involved with the corruption. I checked it out on stack overflow and such... and it indeed is involved in write operations, though I will never be sure... could also be turbo pascal 7 corruption causing this, tp7 probably also used out instruction or not and maybe ms dos write api or so (?)

Fortunately, ofcourse, the Pentium 166 does have a network connection/network card.

I haven't used it in ages/years and I am not even sure if it's going to work, but yeah probably.

But it is so boring to setup:

1. Connect cable, though ok that is already in place.
2. Change IP settings in windows XP perhaps ?!
3. Risk damage to it from static electric discharge from other computer or network virusses though this latter part probably not real.
4. However my complaint against networking this machine is valid because of the following reasons:

4.1 Internet connection sharing is enabled.
4.2 The laptop of my mother would basically download windows update every ****ing time I turned it on.

IT WAS UN****ING BELIEVABLE.

I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND NOW WHY MY MOTHER DOES NOT WANT TO USE WINDOWS.

IT IS LITERALLY UNUSUABLE on somewhat slower internet connections presumable.

THIS LAPTOP was SOFTWARE-WISE, THE WORST WINDOWS USER EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER WITNESSED.

THE NUMBER OF TIMES IT WOULD TRY TO INSTALL .NET 4.0 IT'S ****ING UNBELIEVABLE and .NET 4.0 IS UNNECESSARY CPU HOGGING CRAP ANYWAY.

SOMEBODY AT MICROSOFT NEEDS A VERY BAD ASS KICKING THAT IS FOR SURE.

However there were plenty of other updates.

EVEN YESTERDAY it started updating AGAIN as I wanted to shutdown the LAPTOP to replace it with the PENTIUM 166.

IT WAS UNBELIEVABLE it BASICALLY UPDATES EVERY TIME I TURN IT ON... FRICKING UNBELIEVABLE.

Yesterday or today whatever it was I JUST COULDN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE and I PRESSED THE POWER BUTTON OF the LAPTOP to try and SHUT IT DOWN as it was installing an UUPDATE for the billionth time and telling me DONT SHUT IT DOWN.

I don't know what happened... EITHER IT FINISHED installing or it might now BE WRECKED.

IF IT'S WRECKED I AM GOING TO NUKE THE **** OUT OF WINDOWS and REPLACE it with LINUX I SWEAR TO GOD but even LINUX probably now has this UPDATE **** GOING ON.

Fortunately my own Windows 7 installation somehow ****ED window update long ago it's not working anymore and disabled anyway.

It has the most important security updates of the past, if there ever is any new problem I will inspect the report and judge if it's truely necessary.

So far: NOPE.

SO **** MICROSOFT for including WAY TOO MUCH crap with Windows 7 IN THE FIRST PLACE.

All that software bloat is just one big security nightmare and a UPDATE nightmare and this LAPTOP proved it perfectly.

ANYWAY:

!! MORAL !! OF !! THE !! STORY !!

It is NOT WITHOUT RISK to connect a WINDOWS COMPUTER to a NETWORK.

So now you can sort of see:

WHY I AM VERY SPOOKED of connecting a VERY OLD Pentium 166 to the NETWORK.

I CERTAINLY do not want it to update.

I CERTAINLY do not want it to go into UPDATE HELL.

and LOL.

I certainly DO NOT WANT IT TO BE REPLACED WITH WINDOWS 10 LOL.

Or some other MICROSOFT UPDATE wrecking tricks.

So now PAUL.

You start to understand a little bit WHY I REALLY LIKE the USB method of moving data around.

AND WHY even the THOUGHT of connecting this Pentium 166 to "THE NETWORK" or "router" as you described it is NOT LAZY.

IT MIGHT TURN INTO MORE WORK THAN YOU COULD POSSIBLY IMAGINE ! =D

Now here is the real question:

Will windows 95 phone home ?

Will windows 98 phone home ?

Is Microsoft still stuffing Windows 98 updates to PC's ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

Is there any hacker trying to do this ?!

And ofcourse there are virusses out there that will absolutely WRECK Windows 95 and Windows 98 in a hard beat.

Last time this happened it took 3 hours before infection occured.

Nowadays with high-speed networks there is no way to tell how fast it could possibly be.

SO THE RISK IS HUGE.

Now you could start bitching just disable Internet connection sharing or blablabla.

But again that requires all kinds of stupid configuration.

It's not that hard I got used to it...

Disable it... re-enable it later.

But one must still remember one which connection to do it, one time I did it on wrong connection, which is kinda funny, cause the user interface is a bit fuzzy/shady about which is which... and good luck trying to figure that out.

And windows 95/windows 98 will absolutely require at LEAST ONE REBOOT if any IP connections are changed which is also incredibly boring ! HOLY****.

LOL.

See... how long it took to explain to you what the risks are LOL.

I will probably eventually do connect it to my computer:

I basically have little choice however something just popped into my head:

IOMEGA ZIP DRIVE.

Haven't used that in ages... 100 MB disks... not that bad.

Don't remember if I ever used this on my Dream PC... I probably did.

I will try this old technology and see if it can be a quick and easy way to move data around between old and new computer.

However I already see a flaw/issue with this idea:

It will have to be moved around and reconnect to the computers cause I only have one IOMega ZIP drive.

Now I kinda wish I had two lol. Should have thought of that maybe, never knew I might need this old technology.

Anyway 100 MB not that much.

However it would allow me to transfer entire folder structures which is kinda what I want to do.

My own udp file transfer tool is only limited to one file.

With zipping/winrarring that is normally sufficient but in this case I don't know.

I'd rather not to do that in case any file system corruption is going on and also I don't want to change anything on that PC preferably and just preserve it in it's current state until most important data is retrieved from it and maybe also for historical purposes.

Though maybe later I try a little bit of software development on it with turbo pascal, that could be a little bit of fun/interesting.

I could also try other network file transfer software. I am certainly not going to use microsoft window's network technology cause it's broken more than a whore's snatch.

In Netherlands university maastricht got owned recently by CRYPTOware ransom-ware and this was probably more modern computers than I have ?!

Can you believe it ?! HOLY**** ! =D

Don't want that to happen to me.

I am pretty sure that ownage involved flawed Microsoft Networking technology ! =D

Most file transfer software out there is ftp based, which is server/client technology, that is not really my use-case.

This is more peer 2 peer use case. I want to be able to transfer both ways....

Now true with ftp can do both ways... but also don't want to open up my computer to outside world and such... need something secure... don't want to have an entire file server running. Plus even that software can suck in multiple ways...

Perhaps later I google if there is some good new software out there to retrieve entire file system of old computers via network card that would be cool.

Never again going to use norton ghost or any crap like that, quite disappointed with that crap.

For now the IO Omega zip drive is looking like a very attractive way of doing this.

The ammount of data is probably not that much, just want most of my pascal files to be moved to my new computer and possibly onto my usb external device as well for storing this.

It's kinda crappy pascal code sort of it, but I also created some beautifull things back then... VGA graphics related and now I feel a little bit sorry for myself that I didn't backup this sooner cause now I am starting to see some value into it, which I never thought I would sort of....

Guess I am starting to like that old "crap" maybe bring some new life into it... it's also kinda funny to see how I programmed some things back then.

But most of all... starting to get a little bit curious about other people's programming styles of that day and age...

Maybe this is the beginning of some retro-wave/hype... I know some other people getting a little bit into retro...

For me for now it's just this one project mostly... mario... but I am also a little bit curious about other vga effects.

So this rain demo it was quite cool. I want to port/hope to port it to cuda some day and see how it runs... I am very curious about how good CUDA would be compared to VGA.

I am not at all convinced CUDA would be better because it does come with the necessary ammount of programming overhead and even some latency...

So VGA vs CUDA interesting experiment ! =D

If old PC vga would beat cuda then whole**** ! LOL.

Then I am programming on the wrong computer ! LOL.

Anyway only now can I continue my bullist which I probably shouldn't cause this post is already too long/long enough to dismiss network technology but ok here we go;

5. Reboot computer I don't know how many times before the ****ing IP finally works.

6. Network connections a bit shady as well as ethernet, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

7. Kinda hate messing with it, might **** other things up and just costs a lot of time when stuff goes bad.

8. I was considering utp cross over kabel not necessary, there is already a good utp cable there but ok.

9. Not even sure if latest 1 gigabit is compatible with 10 megabit or whatever is in there.

10. Have not used pentium 166 in a long time, I think it has multiple connections/network cards are at least so I believe but it also has a modem in it !? It's probably attempt sticking it in there too, probably no damage risk but wow if it were possible I'd might damage it that

11. I like your serial/null modem cable option, it's a possibility, not sure if I have the software for it, it would require some error checking codes, it might be slow but might be able to do some transfers overnight.

12. I probably should first inventarize about how much data we are talking here for transfer. Can't be that much cause drives weren't that big back then

My estimation is 100 to maybe 200 megabytes, cause exe's also take up some space, but it could be more than that maybe even 500 MB, don't know yet, could also be 10 or 50 MB will be interesting to discover this later on.

13. There is no rush yet, kinda lazy at moment cause of new year and such =D

14. Gonna take it easy and think about it, do I really want to bring this old stuff over ?! There is a slight risk of ms-dos virusses in executables.

15. Perhaps I should send some of the executables to virus total online. I am not sure if it can actually scan for ms dos 6.22 virusses ? =D

So you see there are some considerations to make it here, some of it might be somewhat exaggarated by the network virus threat is certainly not exaggarated.

That has happened to my Pentium 3 once and it wasn't pretty and I will never forget that, so connecting this P166 in any possible way to the INTERNET is a DEFINET NO-NO.

16. Even if I get the network working, there is still a risk that I go back to toshiba laptop, need internet, enable file sharing and then I forget to turn it off, go back to pentioum 166 laptop and BAM... virus on P166.

So now you can kinda see why network technology for this P166 is kinda out of the question ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck =D
Old December 31st 19, 08:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Also SKYNET might be on this computer !

THINK PAUL !

THINK ! LOL.

Just kidding (I think) ! LOL !

We certainly don't want SKYNET to spread now ?! DO WE ?! =D LOL.

Even null-modem capable might allow skynet to escape.

But in all fairness I do want to analyze a possible skynet on my DreamPC where I have slighty better tools for it.

Or I move those tools over to old computer, but I rather do analyze on my new computer =D

So ok, there is going to be a small little risk of skynet escaping ?! =D

But do I really care ?! NOPE. LOL.

If it blows up humanity and/or the internet than SO BE IT LOL.

This gonna happen some day anyway LOL.

At least according to the movie and yeah probably according to theory as well.

Everybody just gonna blame it on the Americans anyway.

So I go completely hook-free, unless somebody finds this posting and figures out it was ME all along ! LOL.

But hey... I didn't build the ****ing thing, that would be the internet.

So blame it on thez internetz and it's builderzzzz... if it thizzz ****z up everything ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck =D
Old January 1st 20, 03:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]
external usenet poster

wrote:
Also SKYNET might be on this computer !

THINK PAUL !

THINK ! LOL.

Just kidding (I think) ! LOL !

We certainly don't want SKYNET to spread now ?! DO WE ?! =D LOL.

Even null-modem capable might allow skynet to escape.

But in all fairness I do want to analyze a possible skynet on my DreamPC where I have slighty better tools for it.

Or I move those tools over to old computer, but I rather do analyze on my new computer =D

So ok, there is going to be a small little risk of skynet escaping ?! =D

But do I really care ?! NOPE. LOL.

If it blows up humanity and/or the internet than SO BE IT LOL.

This gonna happen some day anyway LOL.

At least according to the movie and yeah probably according to theory as well.

Everybody just gonna blame it on the Americans anyway.

So I go completely hook-free, unless somebody finds this posting and figures out it was ME all along ! LOL.

But hey... I didn't build the ****ing thing, that would be the internet.

So blame it on thez internetz and it's builderzzzz... if it thizzz ****z up everything ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck =D

Our hardware right now, is more like the Daleks than Skynet.

The AI researchers have already complained that what they've
got "isn't enough".

You're safe for a while...

Paul