“Microsoft to end updates to Windows 7’s free AV software, Security Essentials”

Old December 11th 19, 09:45 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Chris

Default “Microsoft to end updates to Windows 7’s free AV software, Security Essentials”

Shadow wrote:
On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 12:42:26 -0600, Lynn McGuire
wrote:

“Microsoft to end updates to Windows 7’s free AV software, Security
Essentials”

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...ssentials.html

“When support for Windows 7 ends on Jan. 14, Microsoft will also stop
providing new malware signatures for its home-grown Security Essentials
software.”

Ok, this is not good. Microsoft is playing hardball here.

It'll just boost the sale/usage of "compatible with Win 7"
AVs.

Which will disappear just like they did when previous versions of Windows
went out of support. It is ridiculous to try and protect an os that the
vendor won't support with security fixes.

Old December 11th 19, 03:05 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shadow[_2_]

Default Microsoft to end updates to Windows 7 free AV software, Security Essentials?

wrote:

?Microsoft to end updates to Windows 7?s free AV software, Security
Essentials?

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...ssentials.html

?When support for Windows 7 ends on Jan. 14, Microsoft will also stop
providing new malware signatures for its home-grown Security Essentials
software.?

Ok, this is not good. Microsoft is playing hardball here.

It'll just boost the sale/usage of "compatible with Win 7"
AVs.

Which will disappear just like they did when previous versions of Windows
went out of support. It is ridiculous to try and protect an os that the
vendor won't support with security fixes.

I'm still on XP(and Linux). I ditched Avira when I caught it
phoning home. Not for updates. It was relaying my private, personal
web-browsing data and some files I compiled myself. Probably for my
"safety, security and privacy". They can legally do that. Read the
TOS.

There are numerous top quality free on demand AVs that still
support the almost 20 year old OS. With the advantage that USB-booted
AVs are can't be disabled by zero-day rootkits, like the resident AVs
can.
So what you are saying is I'm be vulnerable to all the attacks
M$ PROMISED.
And never happened?

https://www.dataviper.io/blog/2019/p...illion-people/

1.2 billion people's data hacked from secure, up-to-date
servers.... is that even possible?
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Old December 11th 19, 04:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.computer.workshop
Ken Blake[_4_]

On 12/10/2019 6:05 PM, Shadow wrote:
On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 16:16:49 -0700, Ken Blake
wrote:

On 12/10/2019 3:44 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:

The key word was "resident".
I have not had any resident AV in 20 years and have never gotten any bad
stuff.

That's like saying "I haven't worn a seatbelt in 20 years and have never
gotten hurt in an accident."

Better:

""I haven't worn a seatbelt in 20 years and have never
gotten hurt in an accident., but OTOH I don't use a car".

"I don't use a car" = I don't click on suspicious links, I
don't enable scripting for all but a few sites. I don't execute
programs/installers without a reasonable quarantine in case they are
zero-days, I check firewall logs .... the usual basic safeguards.
And even then, I do a weekly offline USB-booted scan and keep
data backups.

You do good things. You practice "safe hex," and that substantially
reduces your risk of getting infected by malware. Does it completely
eliminate the risks? No.

If you ran a good anti-virus program, that would reduce the risk even
further, but it would still not eliminate the risk completely.

The same with seatbelts. Do they completely eliminate the risk of
getting hurt in a car accident? No, of course not. But they reduce the risk.

In my view, all computer users should do whatever possible to reduce the
risk.

--
Ken
Old December 11th 19, 04:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.computer.workshop
David[_29_]

wrote:

[...]

What anti-virus/anti-malware software would you suggest that those folk
using *Apple* computers use, Ken?

Old December 15th 19, 05:55 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Chris

wrote:

[...]

Correct. You're a savvy person so are reasonably safe, but it is not
something anyone would be recommended to do.

Old December 16th 19, 12:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
VanguardLH[_2_]

Lynn McGuire wrote:

Microsoft to end updates to Windows 7s free AV software, Security
Essentials

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...ssentials.html

When support for Windows 7 ends on Jan. 14, Microsoft will also stop
providing new malware signatures for its home-grown Security Essentials
software.

Ok, this is not good. Microsoft is playing hardball here.

I am not impressed with any of the other antivirus products.

Lynn

Where's the loss? Defender what NOT an anti-virus program, so the
article's title is not only misleading but incorrect. Defender was
nothing but a spyware detector in Windows 7 (and earlier in its
precursors). Not until Windows 8 did Defender become an anti-virus
program. It was worthless in Windows 7. In pre-8 Windows, you should
have never relied on Defender to protect you against malware.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Defender
"Before Windows 8, Windows Defender only protected users against
spyware."
Old December 16th 19, 12:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
VanguardLH[_2_]

VanguardLH wrote:

Lynn McGuire wrote:

[...]

That's why Security Essentials became superfluous in Windows 8, and
later. Defender became and AV, so Security Essentials became
superfluous. Obviously anything of or bundled in Windows 7 that doesn't
extend into later versions of Windows will die for support when Windows
7 is no longer supported; else, continuing to support Windows 7-only
products means support was not ended.

Microsoft's anti-malware and anti-spyware products before Windows 8 were
far too limp to be considered effective solutions. Almost every 3rd
party solution, even free ones, were far superior. Microsoft's
solutions pre-8 did have a high rating for disinfecting malware, but
that was because it didn't much malware, and what it detected was old
and disinfection was well known.
Old December 17th 19, 01:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
occam[_4_]

On 2019-12-10 13:42, Lynn McGuire wrote:
“Microsoft to end updates to Windows 7’s free AV software, Security
Essentials”

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...ssentials.html

“When support for Windows 7 ends on Jan. 14, Microsoft will also stop
providing new malware signatures for its home-grown Security
Essentials software.”

Ok, this is not good.* Microsoft is playing hardball here.

I am not impressed with any of the other antivirus products.

Lynn

Security Essentials is not the best antimalware product for Windows, and
that's putting it mildly. However, if Microsoft stops supporting it, you
will need something else. Stay away from Norton and McAfee; Avast is,
sadly, following in their footsteps. AVG is now part of Avast. There
aren't that many top-tier products left.

Kaspersky Free is pretty good - and just as free as Security Essentials.
Old December 17th 19, 06:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
VanguardLH[_2_]

occam wrote:

Kaspersky Free is pretty good - and just as free as Security
Essentials.

https://usa.kaspersky.com/free-antivirus

https://www.kaspersky.com/blog/secur...ud-free/28890/
When a user tries to download Kaspersky Free antivirus, they find that
they have downloaded Kaspersky Security Cloud — Free instead.

Since it is a cloud AV, does its malware detection level significantly
decreases when the host is offline? That's what happens to Panda Cloud
AV free. I've seen many detection tests showing Panda Cloud detected
99%+ when online, but only 66% when offline.

Be interesting to see how Kaspersky's free Cloud AV rates for its online
versus offline detection rates.
Old December 28th 19, 11:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Bill[_40_]

I didn't read all of the posts in this thread, but after watching the
following video (which explains the process, and provides some handy
tips), I upgraded two computers from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdNL-pvvXH4&t=199s

Now I don't have to watch January 14th approach, with "impending doom".

It was slightly time-consuming because of the usual work associated with
"configuring preferences", but with "classic start" (see video), the
result is acceptable. A 4 GHz computer with an SSD on a 80 Mbps
internet connection did the upgrade in 49 minutes. I hope that the
post/video link may be helpful to someone.

Bill

Still at issue is that I haven't found any ad-block software that will
work with the latest version of SeaMonkey (web browser). If I am unable
to resolve that, I may have to switch to Mozilla Firefox.