Dell PA-10 ac adapter center pin

Old January 5th 10, 12:19 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

Default Dell PA-10 ac adapter center pin

In t,
Christopher Muto typed on Mon, 04 Jan 2010 16:54:46 -0500:
... a simple test of this condition is jiggle the plug on the computer
end while it is inserted into the laptop and watch to see if it
switches between battery and ac power.

Well that is a tip-off for sure. But if it doesn't, it doesn't mean it
isn't the jack itself or the solder connections to the board. As
sometimes the jack can break (and it is still can be solid as a rock) or
a solder connection or something... and no amount of wiggling will make
it work for some of them.

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 2 of 3 - Windows XP SP3

Old January 5th 10, 02:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
MZB

Chris:

Can you elaborate. Lately, my Inspiron does switch from battery to AC when I
jiggle the chord a bit.
What does that indicate?

Is it easy to fix?

Mel

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
t...
phoenix wrote:
My PA10 works intermittently. Anyone managed to repair it or do I need
to buy a replacement?

are you sure the problem is the adapter and not the computer?
it is a common and unfortunate problem with many model laptops that the
connector in the computer becomes loose and so has poor contact with the
system board. a simple test of this condition is jiggle the plug on the
computer end while it is inserted into the laptop and watch to see if it
switches between battery and ac power. this should be covered under
warranty or there are many shops that will re solder the ac jack back on
the system board for a flat fee. depending on the age of the system it
may not be worth the expense. having said that, genuine dell pa10
adapters can be had from ebay for about $20 delivered. clone "for dell"
adapters can be had on ebay for close to $10 delivered but they are junk
and will not be as durable or long lasting.

Old January 5th 10, 04:36 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

phoenix wrote:
[...]

to repair a jack problem means entirely removing the system board from
the laptop, removing the old jack, soldering in a new one, and then
reassembling the laptop. not particularly hard but not a job for a
complete novice either. bad soldering skills can ruin the board... but
a board with this problem is pretty much useless anyway. if you can
remove the board (visit support.dell.com and under documentation look
for the service manual for you model for details) then you can send off
the board for repair. look on ebay for some people that do the job for
a flat rate, and that might even include removal of the board (ship them
your whole computer less memory, hard disk, optical drive, etc).
Of course there is also a chance that the problem is less dire than
this... well traveled and roughly handeled ac adapters can have a issue
with the wire where it enters the laptop plug, or the wire could be cut
or frayed, or the removable power cord may simply not be fully inserted
into the adapter... but those conditions are no so common, but worth
considering. in other words, make sure you have a good ac adapter
before you proceed with a motherboard power jack repair.
here is a example of the work involved...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjOVOLOW1Hc
Old January 5th 10, 07:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

In news Christopher Muto typed on Mon, 04 Jan 2010 22:36:53 -0500:
[...]

I always wondered why some genius hasn't made fake batteries with a jack
on them. For those that use their laptops on AC alone, I figure this
would be a gold mine for somebody. Even adding a power regulator inside
(since the AC adapter voltage is higher than the battery) shouldn't be
too costly. After all, you can buy AC adapters for 10 bucks or less on
eBay.

Another solution is if your laptop can handle a docking station. Well
there you go. No power jack required. grin

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Windows XP SP2

Old January 6th 10, 12:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
MZB

Thanks Chris.

So far, it has not been a problem. But I suspect it will get worse over
time.
I don't think it is the chord.

This Inspiron 2200 (much maligned by many on the newsgroup) has worked
flawlessly for me for about 7 years. When it gets worse, I'll buy a new
laptop.

I also have an Acer netbook which I like a lot.

Mel

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
news

Old May 12th 10, 08:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
ChipInNC

Christopher Muto;1161117 Wrote: [color=blue]
MZB wrote:
... well traveled and roughly handeled ac adapters can have a issue

with the wire where it enters the laptop plug, or the wire could be cut

or frayed, or the removable power cord may simply not be fully inserted

into the adapter... but those conditions are no so common, but worth
considering. in other words, make sure you have a good ac adapter
before you proceed with a motherboard power jack repair.

Actually I've found that the power supply's cord/wire to the computer
is the *most common* problem I've seen. Not just at the connection to
the computer, but especially at the junction where the wire enters the
power supply itself.

If the problem is at the end connector or the jack, the customers
usually had issues with putting the computer away (in a laptop bag,
etc.) with the power supply still connected. (I know, Duh!)

If the problem is at the junction of the wire and the PS, it's usually
from a "road warrior" that travels a lot and pulls the cord tight when
wrapping the cord around the PS when packing it up. I always tell folks
to leave a 1-2 inch loose loop in the cord so that you don't bend the
cord at the junction to the PS. If any of the 3 wires in the cord get
damaged from repetitive bending, you've got to repair or replace the
PS.

Luckily, it's pretty easy to pop open a Dell Laptop Power Supply and
unsolder the three wires and cut off about 6 inches of the "damaged"
section, use heat shrink tubing to insulate the 3 wires properly,
re-solder the wires and glue the PS back together. But you've got to
remember to test ALL the wires in the cord for shorts to each other or
open connections to the plug. Sometimes I've had to cut down some cords
to 1/2 their length or less. Some were totally trashed.

I have more PS boxes without wires than I expected. Found a place that
sells these wires for $15 each including shipping
(http://dcplug.net/dell.html), but it's higher than I'd like to pay.
They should be about $5 or less each plus shipping ($3-$5).

I don't have a video showing you how to do it, but it's not that hard
for someone experienced with a soldering iron. That $15 cord (above)
would make it very easy for most self repair folks to do.

Good luck!

Old May 14th 10, 01:11 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
who where

On Wed, 12 May 2010 14:04:35 -0500, ChipInNC
wrote:

(snip)

Luckily, it's pretty easy to pop open a Dell Laptop Power Supply

It is? Do you have a magic method, or is it something we mere mortals
could hope to emulate?
Old May 18th 10, 11:31 AM
basumayra0910 basumayra0910 is offline
Junior Member

hello guys ...

its really nice post....

i just liked it....

thanks....
Old May 21st 10, 12:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
ChipInNC[_4_]

who where;1211748 Wrote:
On Wed, 12 May 2010 14:04:35 -0500, ChipInNC
wrote:

(snip)

Luckily, it's pretty easy to pop open a Dell Laptop Power Supply

It is? Do you have a magic method, or is it something we mere mortals
could hope to emulate?

Mortal? Hmm.

I started to put this info here, but decieded it would be off topic for
this thread and created a new thread. Here's the link:

http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/for...ld-285998.html

I hope it helps!

Old August 25th 10, 11:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
pay[oh]tea

Being as I have done laptop dis assembly for jack replacement for years
and years now, I have personally seen hundreds of examples of faulty
1-wire \ maxim chip issues.. Anyhow, a close friend came to me with a
dell latitude D620 that exhibited all the telltale signs of a bad 1-wire
chip; ie: it would recognize my PA-10 adapter (and consequently charge
AOK) however his would come up as unknown and not provide a charge.
SOOOOOO I embarked on the 1-wire id chip adventure as so many of you
also have. What I did hehe was post an ad on craigslist, looking for
free\cheap dead or alive PA-10\PA-12 adapters... And got literally
hundreds of hits. So yea, next step of course would be mass dis
assembly! When done with all of the adapters, I had 15 3pin chips, and
another 8 or 10 8pin chips. Now from what I've found, the 3pin units can
be wired up directly without any protective circuit and are quite
reliable, where as the 8pin packages are less so. Anyhow, I've been
making both adapter plugs with the 1-wire chip hardwired in them, that
amazingly work with just about *any* adapter... All the way up to 130w
HP units. And yes, they even display in the bios as 130w. Another neat
trick is hard wiring them into the Dxxx compatible docking stations.
Anyhow, I'll post some picks here in a day or two.