IOMega Parallel Port Zip Drive not supported in Windows 7 x64

Old January 2nd 20, 06:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default IOMega Parallel Port Zip Drive not supported in Windows 7 x64

Well so far my plan to use the IOMEGA Parallel Port zip drive in Windows 7 x64 backfired.

There are no drivers for this operating system.

The closest thing I found was:

IOMega Wa

ioware-w32-x86-402.exe

This is probably for windows 32 bit.

There were some others with loose sys and cat files but also didn't install.

I did try to install this ioware but I would not recommend it, it starts writing to the registry editor first I had to circumvent a warning message that it was not suited for this operating system.

Eventually I decided to cancel it cause it was taking a long time to write to the registry.

Not sure if it actually wrote anything to the registry, the registry entries probably do not contain any dates when they were added, so this is a weakness in the registry design by microsoft.

This does convince me to install older versions of windows on usb drive for these kinds of devices

But for now it's too boring to get this installed and partitioned just to move some files, but I might have to do it anyway.

There might be one more possibility and that is linux, it may have some kind of parallel port driver for this zip drive so first I will investigate that as well:

Some interesting links I found:

Info:
http://vintage-pc.tripod.com/iomega_zip.html

Boot utility is claim, but trail and modifies boot sector not recommended by me:
http://brianlivingston.com/windowman...t/bl060997.htm

Some shady downloads, skip the first one and find the exe name mentioned above, others might interesting some that are looking for sys files or something or cat or inf:
https://www.driverguide.com/driver/d...-Parallel-Port

This one is probably nicest:
http://oldcomputer.info/media/zip/index.htm

But seems to have the same file above but calls it jaz.

It does have an older version 3.1 that might be suited, and other files for w95 and windows nt.

I did find drivers on a zipdisk as well, so I might check my own driver software but since I can't access it can't look at it right now, but it's probably some older version 2.0 or so.

Anyway after this post, investigating linux support. If that fails, then well, back to network tech I guess and disable internet connection sharing.

But I kinda don't want to use network tech.

Also I may attempt to clean the pentium 166 power supply, cause oh boy are these old fans making a tiny of noise.

Not sure where the noise is coming from, wonder if there is a fan on the cpu hmm...

But first I want to secure the data before I kill this computer accidently lol. Don't plan to kill it but ya never know ! =D

Fortunately plenty of space available on harddisk, so a tool like winzip or winrar should be sufficient to select some folders, compress it and send it over with my udp file transfer tool =D

MAybe I should release a free version sometime or a bitcoin or pascalcoin supported version some time =D

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

P.S.: One driver zip on that website was really weird 0 .dll size and just a cat, seems fishy I tried it anyway but not suited w7 says hmm
Old January 2nd 20, 09:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

OH MY GOD: Do not install IOMegaWare Zipdrive drivers on Windows 7 x64 Editions

Hello,

I tried to forcefully install: ioware-w32-x86-402.exe

Also before that I tried to install: OEM21.INF

Also I tried to install: .cat

One of these drivers probably the first causes damage to the windows 7 boot process, windows 7 will no longer boot and fail to boot.

It will enter into a "startup repair tool" loop which is ****ing annoying as hell.

But there is more to the story obviously cause I am here writing the message and not dead yet.

First of all windows 7 x64 edition will blue screen during boot entering this startup repair boot screen loop.

Then it gets even more scary... press F2 repeatedly with a PS/2 keyboard caused complete boot failure... the processor will hang, the bios will hang.

What's even more annoying is I couldn't get into SAFE MODE by pressing F8 for same reason it's not picked up when using the PS/2 keyboard.

Also the boot menu by pressing ESCAPE failed to come up when using PS/2 keyboard many times, it was super weird.

Probably some interrupt causing problems with the BIOS.

It could also be a time related thing, first I have to wait till this ****ing annoying raid screen goes past it and then I have to press F8 repeatedly.

The time I tried it it didn't work. I start the panick a little bit.

FORTUNATELY I had Sparky Linux on a tiny little usb stick still stuck into the back usb port.

So I booted sparky linux.

The ****ing -noapic option didn't work at the back, noapic at the back also didn't work.

I ****ing lost it almost I was like how ****ing retarded are these retards.

It turns out this noapic option needs to be added somewhere in between or right after the linux commands/options begin.

So make noapic the first option and that's how I did it all small letters.

I also choosed advanced boot option, maybe that helped too.

Finally I boot into Sparky Linux.

I kinda wanted to access windows 7 system drive.

Sparky Linux wouldn't let me... It required some kind of retarded authentication...

It totally ****ed me off.. I totally forget the ****ing password or didn't even set it...

It probably requires stupid symbols that apperently I will never remember.

What's worse is the password is on my disk somewhere that now I couldn't access.

Well after trying many password and failed I decided to launch the browser.

Fortunately Linus and the other ****ing retards from the linux community didn't put a password on the browser.

So I still could use the browser and connect to the internet.

FOR THAT I THANK YOU LINUS and LINUX community lol.

I read up on how to get into safe mode and the many boot options that windows has.

I REQUIRES PRESSING F8 repeatedly, I DID THIS the first couple of times but apperently somehow it didn't get picked up.

I ALSO USED A USB KEYBOARD AS WELL...

Finally I managed to get the safe mode boot options by pressing F8.

Finally I choose "last good configuration"

AND BOOM HERE I AM....

BACK ALIVE from the DEAD ! =D

Now my beautifull music is playing enjoying this REVIVAL =D LOL.

All I can say Windows 7 kinda rocks but it has issues.

THIS SPOOKED THE **** OUT OF ME ! LOL.

I am not sure what is going to happen on next reboot.

GOOD THING I DECIDED TO REBOOT WINDOWS FIRST.

Otherwise I might have blamed it on sparky linux and I decided I really had to make sure my Windows 7 was working before I give spark linux and zipdrives a try.

HOLY**** what an adventure and a scary one tooo.

MY RECOMMENDATION: do not try and install any iomega zipdrive drivers on windows 7 x64/64 bit editions YOU WILL BE ****ED.

Now I still have to figure out why it didn't boot, but only if the issue persists.

This was so scary, I have to issue a warning message on the internet and how to restore your system.

Hopefully the last good configuration trick will work for you.

This is probably the easiest way to get back in... without having to fix anything ! =D

Now I am off to post this in the other thread as well and ****ing read what the fcking sparky linux password was... god ****ing damn it.

I must admit... this did prevent me from trying to **** with any files on windows LOL...

Maybe this was a good thing... cause when people panic they might even do more stupid things ! LOL.

But at least I wanted to look at some log files if present.

WINDOWS 7 PEOPLE YOU ROCK.

Probably sinofsky YOU ROCK TOO.

Windows 7 !!! YEAAAAHHH !!!!!! =D

Bye for now,