how do I avoid buffer underrun?

Old November 21st 11, 08:58 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Chelmite

Default how do I avoid buffer underrun?

I'm trying to write a dual-layer blu-ray using the schily cdrecord
Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 3.01a06 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu)
Copyright (C) 1995-2011 Joerg Schilling

I can create an ISO image that's 38,961,047,552 bytes, which should
fit on a 50G dual-layer blu-ray disk.
I am having trouble writing the image onto the disk. I get a message
about buffer underruns, and need some help fixing this.

Thanks for any help you can give,
Chelmite

I created the iso image with:
% mkisofs -o /media/Maxtor2/Backups/maxtor3.iso -r -J -hide-rr-moved -
V "Backup 2011/11/20" -publisher "Chelmite" -iso-level 4 -graft-points
photos/M3/Photos=/media/M3/Photos photos/M3/JDroid=/media/M3/Backups/
Droid/JDroid/dcim photos/M3/TDK-Vibrant=/media/M3/Backups/Droid/
JVibrant/DCIM photos/M3/SDroid=/media/M3/Backups/Droid/SDroid/dcim
photos/M3/SVibrant-KD=/media/M3/Backups/Droid/SVibrant1/KDROID32/dcim
photos/Maxtor3/SVibrant-SD=/media/M3/Backups/Droid/SVibrant1/SDROID/
DCIM
Warning: Creating ISO-9660:1999 (version 2) filesystem.
Warning: ISO-9660 filenames longer than 31 may cause buffer overflows
in the OS.

Then I tried to write the iso:
% /opt/schily/bin/cdrecord tsize=19023949s -dao fs=12m speed=-1
driveropts=burnfree dev=/dev/sr1 - /media/Maxtor2/Backups/
maxtor3.iso
Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 3.01a06 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu)
Copyright (C) 1995-2011 Joerg Schilling
scsidev: '/dev/sr1'
devname: '/dev/sr1'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.9'.
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities :
Vendor_info : 'PIONEER '
Identifikation : 'BD-RW BDR-206D'
Revision : '1.56'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc-3 BD-R driver (mmc_bdr).
Driver flags : NO-CD BD MMC-3 BURNFREE
Supported modes: PACKET SAO LAYER_JUMP
cdrecord: Warning: Cannot read drive buffer.
cdrecord: Warning: The DMA speed test has been skipped.
WARNING: Phys disk size 4452354 differs from rzone size 24438784!
Prerecorded disk?
WARNING: Phys start: 25088 Phys end 4477441
Starting to write CD/DVD/BD at speed 8 in real SAO mode for single
session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write 0 seconds. Operation
starts.
cdrecord: Input/output error. write_g1: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB: 2A 00 00 BA 74 10 00 00 10 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0E 00 00 00 00 21 02 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x21 Qual 0x02 (invalid address for write) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
resid: 32768
cmd finished after 13.786s timeout 200s
write track data: error after 25025347584 bytes
cdrecord: The current problem looks like a buffer underrun.
cdrecord: It looks like 'driveropts=burnfree' does not work for this
drive.
cdrecord: Please report.
cdrecord: Make sure that you are root, enable DMA and check your HW/OS
set up.

1. I ran this command without driveropts=burnfree, and got a message
saying I should use that same burnfree option:
cmd finished after 11.627s timeout 200s
write track data: error after 25,025,347,584 bytes
cdrecord: The current problem looks like a buffer underrun.
cdrecord: Try to use 'driveropts=burnfree'.
cdrecord: Make sure that you are root, enable DMA and check your HW/OS
set up.

2. I ran the cdrecord command as root both times, yet cdrecord warned
that I should be root.
3. I don't know how to enable DMA. I do have AHCI enabled in the BIOS.
4. My data source is connected to my computer via eSATA.
5. My Blu-ray writer is connected at the slower, USB-2.0 port, to
avoid buffer underruns.
6. Pioneer says the Blu-ray writer is supposed to work at 12x speed,
and has a 4M buffer. My laptop has 4G RAM, 0.25G free.
Old November 24th 11, 04:59 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Gernot Hassenpflug

Chelmite writes:

I'm trying to write a dual-layer blu-ray using the schily cdrecord
Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 3.01a06 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu)
Copyright (C) 1995-2011 Joerg Schilling

Hi,
I'm a long-time (10yrs) linux user but not really up to speed on
CD/DVD/BluRay writing. I used to use the same method as you, for CDs and
DVDs, since the GUI tools misbehaved os badly until recently.

Now though, I am happy to use Brasero most of the time with Debian
GNU/linux.

I can create an ISO image that's 38,961,047,552 bytes, which should
fit on a 50G dual-layer blu-ray disk.
I am having trouble writing the image onto the disk. I get a message
about buffer underruns, and need some help fixing this.

Vendor_info : 'PIONEER '
Identifikation : 'BD-RW BDR-206D'
Revision : '1.56'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc-3 BD-R driver (mmc_bdr).
Driver flags : NO-CD BD MMC-3 BURNFREE
Supported modes: PACKET SAO LAYER_JUMP
cdrecord: Warning: Cannot read drive buffer.

Looks like you have a problem here already with communication?

cdrecord: Warning: The DMA speed test has been skipped.
WARNING: Phys disk size 4452354 differs from rzone size 24438784!
Prerecorded disk?

/../

Hmmm, I don't know, but would you try with Brasero for example, and see
what the Brasero logs tell you. So many options with the commands
possible, hard for me to say if something needs to be changed....
--
Gernot Hassenpflug
Old November 29th 11, 02:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Tony[_3_]

I'm actually using the same blu-ray writer as you and the writer will
write 4X and 6X blanks at 12X speed with ease with the write speed set to
maximum. Your buffer underuns are because your Pioneer writer it connected
to the usb 2.0 port. You can only burn a DVD-+R at around 8 times speed
and that speed would be too slow for burring a BD-R so you need to install
the Pioneer writer internally and use UDF 2.5 and something that always
works for software. I mostly use TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4.

Chelmite wrote:

[...]

The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

proper manners

Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first
day on the job for potty mouth,

Bur-ring, i'll get this one: WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM JERK!!? We're here to
help you dickweed, ok, ok give the power cord the jiggily piggily wiggily
all the while pushing the power button repeatedly now take everything out
of your computer except the power supply and *one* stick of ram. Ok get
the next sucker on the phone.

Deirdre Straughan (Roxio) is a LIAR (Deirdre McFibber)

There's the employer and the employee and the FROGGER and the FROGEE,
which one are you?

El-Gonzo Jackson FROGS both me and Chuckcar (I just got EL-FROG-OED!!)

I hate them both, With useless bogus bull**** you need at least *three*
fulltime jobs to afford either one of them

I'm a fulltime text *only* man on usenet now. The rest of the world
downloads the binary files not me i can't afford thousands of dollars a
month

VBB = Volume based billing. How much can we force up your arse sir?

UBB = User based bullFROGGING

beyond the realm of understandability

This sig file was compiled via my journeys through usenet

Old November 29th 11, 02:59 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Tony[_3_]

Now that i read all youir **** maybe you need DVDFab but sometimes the
main movie is broken into two parts (especially with 3D movies) instead of
one and unless you use clone instead of copy it will only pick up the
first part of the MPEG-TS video file.